News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Crawfordsville, IN Apr. 21-22, 2012

Started by ATM, April 21, 2012, 09:18:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ATM

Here it is! Awesome first day and everyone said they're coming back tomorrow.
We'll get in plenty of AQTs and lots more. I've got the bacon ready.  ^-^

Check back here after the event for more details and pictures...  ;)

EDIT:
The fun continued on day 2 - more marksmanship, more heritage, more perseverance, more improvement. What a great group! Thank you all for coming out.

More details tomorrow...

I know there's some pictures out there, but I didn't get any. Actually, um ...something happened to my camera.  :-[
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Brown

We can all hope the camera of ATM see's some sunny and shall we say drier days ahead?

here are a few of the pics from the day
Rifles to the line and we are ready to go on a nice brisk Saturday Morning

Kayla Addresses the redcoats

Under the watchful eye of SB

Joe has the Sitting position all dialed in

Father and Son on the Patriots Day Line

We had a couple of Indiana's finest show up to help with some one on one instruction

Spitfire 51 has the rapt attention of the youth for some history

Brothers Greyson and Justice. How can it be any better?

This is how it gets better. Add in their dad Jon with Diana doing mags load and it is a GREAT family weekend!

Brown gets them started on the AQT grind

Mitchell tries out the battle field sledgehammer

The Best picture of the day. Look at the smiles of Posterity

Fantastic Weekend everyone. Awesome to see families together on the line. Also seeing fathers over seeing their daughters after they get talked into joining us.

We had a couple shooters that had never touched a rifle before that weekend, had some challenges with the opening red coats, and ended the day with a 158 on the AQT's. Simply outstanding.
I have noticed you get things done and I respect that-SPQR

ATM

Great pics, Brown!

Yes indeed, this was a great weekend to share the heritage with families and friends on the line. It was a bit chilly when we started and a bit warm when we ended each day, but you just can't ask for better weather than that in Indiana.
Personally, I was hoping for a bit of rain...  >:D

Many thanks to my good friend and fellow Appleseeder James, and to the rest of the board and members of our host range, Crawfordsville Gun Club, for your support and help.

That first morning, Diana generously provided several cups of hot cocoa for the other attendees as they soaked up the morning instruction and history given by Brown and spitfire51. As the pace and temperature picked up, the shedding of gloves and hats followed a trend similar to that of the shrinking groups on target down range.

With loaner slings, zipties, bits of foam and medical wrap, rifles transformed from "pretty" to pretty darn effective in the hands of these determined Americans.

We shared lunch and the 2nd Strike of the Match in the clubhouse then headed back out to cover more positions and increase the pace. When the students became the instructors and got to coach each other through the Ball and Dummy Drill, I envisioned future RWVA hats on each and every one of them.  :cool2:

A little later, with a demo and an AQT under their belts, it was time for something very special...
The Memorial Liberty Volley gave us another sobering moment of reflection as we joined with 'seeders around the country and simultaneously remembered and honored, a few by name, but countless others in spirit, those who paid the ultimate price on behalf of us, their posterity.

Closing out the day with the 3rd Stike, a final redcoat target and a challenge to make the most of what we've been given, I saw it in each of your eyes. I saw a new sense of responsibility and ownership to match the determination and perseverance you'd shown on the line throughout the day. I think you really got it. :)

Day two saw 100% return if even for half a day, which was very commendable as several had only signed up for Saturday originally. We were also joined Sunday by Rimshot and AuntieBellum who stepped in and added to the instruction and personal coaching as we quickly refreshed, got warmed up and ran a couple AQTs before another lunch in the clubhouse filled with more stories of individuals who knew what they were about and made a difference.

Those who could stay shot a few more AQTs and drills before moving back for Known Distance at 100 yards. Adjusted zeroes with IMC and then rang some steel (until the centerfires shot both the 8" and 4" steel to the ground  ::) ) and put a few easy shots on a full size target paster (that one's supposed to be shot standing  ;) ). Lots of fun and all who wanted to got to fire the United States Rifle, Caliber .30, M1.

Jon, Diana, Greyson, Justice, Kayla, Joseph, Mike, Mitchell, and James (previously mentioned el prez.) and Jeff (Kayla's dad) who hung with us and helped both days... it was great to partake in the marksmanship with you, an honor to embrace our shared history and heritage together. Thank you so much for getting off the couch and coming out to participate, I'm proud of you all!  O0

Now go make your rifles safe.  ^:)^

callktulu

Great pictures, thanks!  We had an awesome time! :---

callktulu

By the way, any chance of getting some higher resolution photos?  Those are so tiny!

spitfire51

Quote from: ATM on April 21, 2012, 09:18:48 PM
I know there's some pictures out there, but I didn't get any. Actually, um ...something happened to my camera.  :-[

Yeah...something happened to the camera...we'll leave it at that  ^-^

What a fantastic weekend!  Thank you so much to our shooters for joining us in spite of the chilly start to both days.  All our shooters made great progress throughout the weekend, especially our youth shooters.  I loved everyone's positive attitudes and willingness to learn.  Mike and Mitchell did a great job for two guys who had never picked up a rifle before.  I foresee many friendly rivalries between Greyson and Justice to see who can get the higher AQT scores.  Diana, thank you again for the hot chocolate run, you rock!  And I suspect Kayla will proudly be showing off her "shoot like a girl...if you can" hat, she more than earned it.

And even though it's been a full day since it ended, I still have ATM's singing stuck in my head
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

Orangedotfever

Quote from: spitfire51 on April 23, 2012, 10:46:41 PMAnd even though it's been a full day since it ended, I still have ATM's singing stuck in my head

LOL. I still have ATM's singing stuck in my head and that was last September in Bedford!
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

jzukjr

Had a great time! Can't wait to go again!

AuntieBellum

It was a pleasure to work with you all on Sunday.  I had a great time (I mean, how can you not have a great time at an Appleseed?!).  ATM's safe rifle songs seriously need to be compiled into an Appleseed album.  Throw in a couple of pings from the M1, and you've got a Platinum record.   ;D  I look forward to seeing you all on the line again soon. 
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

ATM

Don't forget to tell everybody about your Appleseed experience and bring some of them back with you for the next Crawfordsville Gun Club event June 16-17..:..

In the meantime, continue to get into those positions and practice by the numbers:cool2:

As you step up and expand your own voice, your vote, your unique role as an American citizen, remember always... our posterity will inherit only the heritage we secure for them.

Make the most of your freedom and your choices. See you all on the trail!