News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Flash Report - Wabash!

Started by Fred, June 17, 2007, 06:26:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fred

Sitting here in the motel room, a long day of Appleseed training behind us, chomping on bananas (to support and aid in JB's monkey eradication campaign, as evidence of the strong band-of-brothers bonds among RWVA instructors - yes, it gets tiresome, but it's important! YOU need to be part of this effort! Eat a banana!) Fred and The Guy take stock of a day when 40+ Americans came to learn heritage and marksmanship in Northern Indiana.

The setting was a small pocket-sized but well-maintained range with backstops out to 400 yards (had these guys been shooting the AQT back in the 1950s, when this club was built?)

On a piece of land barely 8 acres in size, it's pretty remarkable to have 400 yards (by comparison, the RWVA home range is on 40 acres, with a 500-yard rifle range shoe-horned in on a diagonal - it takes a lot of land for a long range...)

The day began clear and sunny, and stayed clear and sunny. Supposedly, the temp reached 98 degrees in the shade late in the afternoon, but, while it was warm, it lacked the feeling that 98 degrees would have in humid NC summer weather. In other words, it was definitely warm, but it was no steamy oven...

The Appleseeders got their money's worth on this first day: we ran them pretty hard, with the last people leaving as late as 6:30 PM, after a now-famous Guy's "Kill the British Officer!" Redcoat target, nicely sandwiching the day in Redcoat "Hits Count!" targets.

The first Redcoat target of the day revealed what is now standard: that the level of rifle marksmanship in this nation - regardless of where you go - east, west, north, south - is so bad that you may as well take up the rifles and issue flintlock muskets instead - few people would notice the difference downrange, except for all the smoke...

It's shameful, for sure - but nothing which can't be corrected with a day or two of Appleseeding.

However, there are exceptions: usually a shooter or two can 'qualify' at 200 yards, sometimes 300 yards, more rarely 400 yards.

At Wabash we had a few more serious guys than usual show up, at least based on the somewhat higher number of 300 and 400 shooters on the first Redcoat target.

Not unexpected, as several people who were at last year's Evansville Appleseed - still the world's largest - showed up for the Wabash Appleseed - and showed that they were still Americans 'who know what they are about'.

Rifles were the usual assortment of ARs, M1s and M1As, a lone FAL - and a fair number of tube-fed .22s. One guy firing a Mosin-Nagant put on a pretty fair demonstration of rifle marksmanship, but as you would expect, evidenced a heck of a flinch when we got to ball & dummy.

About half the problem on the first Redcoat target of the day is a lack of zero - the other half being not knowing how to fire a shot. So the groups are large, but they are also not centered on the silhouettes - a double whammy preventing a high count of target hits for most of the shooters.

Because the idea behind firing that first Redcoat target is to measure the current, come-as-you-are shooting skill of Appleseeders, we don't tell them anything - simply line up on the firing line, get your target assigment, prep a mag of 13 rounds, fire three rounds each at the 4 Redcoats, and the last round on the 'rifleman' head target. We don't tell them to set their sights at 200 yards - since most don't have good zeroes, it would be a waste of time, anyways...

The rest of the day, progressing thru the various stages of learning marksmanship was fun.

Along the way, Fred threatened to get 'medieval' with them (shades of Pulp Fiction!)...and a 12-year old girl showed a hard-core survivalist with all the gear what a hole in the British officer's head looked like (she did it; he didn't)...a granny with a broken ankle shot the entire day, hobbling on crutches down to check targets with everyone else...we found that that good Indiana ditch water works in northern Indiana as well as southern...plastic fence posts used to hold up the targets wilted in the heat and sunlight, and sagged...the entire line, transported by Guy back to April 19, 1775 in his magic time machine, turned in 267 hits on the Redcoat files, with 26 on the officers, getting better than 50 per cent hits (you have to understand - by six o'clock on a hot day, the shooters are about worn out - it was a good performance)...it was an interesting day...and not least of all, the motel room overlooks the local Walmart, official store of the RWVA! What more could you ask? :)

Herewith, some details:

A single line of 40+ shooters makes a long line - even longer because of a pretty big gap to avoid a trap bunker in front of one side of the line.

It was a bit of a handful for only two instructors, but we pitched in and rode them hard, walking the line continually, barking out 'encouragement' in the form of "BY THE NUMBERS!" and "IN THE PREP PERIOD, SLING UP, GET A GOOD PRONE POSITION, GET YOUR NPOA, THEN REMOVE THE CHAMBER FLAG, LET THE BOLT GO FORWARD, AND DRY-FIRE BY THE NUMBERS!"

Accompanied by a foot shoving their 'trigger foot' up, pushing that all-important trigger leg up tighter behind the trigger elbow, sometimes with a "This will tighten up your position and make the muzzle steadier!" By the end of the day, it's kinda fun to see them get into prone, and the trigger leg being pulled up tight. A few even pick up on the fact that it does tighten their position up, and tell you that. But of course, we instructors know that already. :)

It was definitely satisfying to the instructors to see light-bulbs going on up and down the line, as shooters 'got it'.

The club was nice enough to provide a 60' long tent to cover part of the firing line. If we get any pics up, you'll prob notice the festive red and yellow tent standing out from all of the green of the mown grass and surrounding trees. (One nice thing was the shade provided by some big trees just behind and to the sides of the line - you may see that shade in some of the pictures, too. It was also inspiring to see the Rev War "Don't Tread on ME" flag flying from the flagpole.)

The guys in the local club promoting this event - who were all at Evansville last year - have formed a group called the "Liberty Writers" (is this a play on "Liberty riders"?) and have a new web site up. They are promoting the soft war concept of writing your reps - yes, it does work - at every level of government - but has particular impact at state and local level - not just "particular" - make the word "tremendous"!

They have been getting together every Sat morning at the club at 8:30 AM to shoot the AQT.

John was kind enough to remind Fred that when they showed up on his line in Evansville, tricked out in LBE and with uniformly-souped-up ARs, Fred , passing them on the line, asked a fellow instructor if people were now showing with paintball guns! Ouch! Has Fred ever been so non-PC, so non-"kinder-and-gentler"? Yes, I know - I hear you yell "IMPOSSIBLE!" and I want to agree, but to my sorrow believe it might be true, it might just be possible, that I said that, so long ago...

These guys showed their meddle, showed what they were made of, that day. They took the comment as a challenge, as Americans would - and should.

No, they didn't pack their gear up and 'go home' to sulk at the alleged insult to their honor and integrity. No way!

And the result is the Wabash Appleseed. They were (and are) the ones who convinced their club to bring the Appleseed program to Wabash. Where they showed up in their matching bright-red "Liberty Writers" T-shirts, looking as spiffy as they did in Evansville. (Could that be the real reason they did it, to have the opportunity to show off the new, good-looking shirts? ;) - don't know about that, but they did 'help the cause' by bringing and offering for sale 140-rd battle packs of .308 South African for $30 - yep, can hear you groan, because you weren't there to grab that deal!)

It's something in the water, in that good Indiana ditch water...

But, I got to hear the stories - the stories of beating your head against the wall as you try to wake fellow Americans up - their efforts were even dissed by the American Legion, ferchrissakes!

Fred integrated that into his Rev War history lesson, pointing out you have to keep going, you have to keep plugging away, that we have no guarantee that Appleseed will be a success, that there are no guarantees that the American people care enough about their country to actually wake up in time to keep the Titanic from sinking.

But that there were no guarantees on April 19, 1775, either.

That it's easy for us to talk glibly about that day, as we know the outcome - we know that they won, and that they won in 8 years.

But on that day, they opened a door, and beyond that door was a path, a path whose end they could not see, a path where the future was dark and cloudy. A door behind which lay no guarantees of anything - of victory or triumph - but a door behind which there was a high probability of death and danger.

Yet they set the example for the rest of us, by taking the plunge, and unhesitatingly going thru that door.

And sending us a message: that you don't need guarantees, nor should you expect them - because there are none.

But you don't let that stop you. No way.

Liberty carries a high price, because, as Paine says, "Heaven knows how to value things", so things that are valuable carry a high price.

That Americans have dropped the ball in the last three generations does not change that fact.

Nor does it change the fact that dropping the ball can by itself carry a high price tag in the future.

This was the first Appleseed where we did something we seem to talk about at every Appleseed, but never do: A working lunch.

Yep, we gathered them under the shelter of the firing line and tent. And while they ate lunch, Fred and Guy gave them The Story.

The story of April 19, 1775.

Fred gave the bare bones historical facts, while pointing out the choices they had to make that day, and the consequences of those choices.

That the First Step they took committed them - to a long, uncertain, hazardous road - a road whose destination and outcome they could not foresee. That First Step committed them 24/7/365 to a path that could lead to only one outcome - victory or death. Back then, it was not the cliche it is today. Back then, it was living fact.

Guy weighed in with the long view, telling them that victory may not come in this generation, that it may not come in their childrens', or even their children's children's.

But that what we do today, and in the future that is the rest of our lives, creates ripples that travel in both space and time, and has influences we cannot see from our limited perspectives.

That it's important to make the effort, so you can be satisfied that at least you upheld your end of the stick - and that, discouraging as it is, discouraging that fellow Americans wallow in so much ignorance and apathy about their great historical  record - you never know when you will reach that one person with the talent and ability to sway thousands of others - a person who does that only because you were the one to wake him up...

It was a pretty good history lesson, and Fred and The Guy teamed up to let them have it, as they should have it, up front, close, and between the eyes!

Among other vignettes: The 65-year-old granny with the broken ankle was running with a goat in her arms when she tripped on rough ground and fell. Seems she raises all kinds of animals, and two weeks before Appleseed decided to take goat for 'a run' (you prob have to be a goat owner - a pygmy goat owner, since these were pygmy goats - to understand why you'd want to take one out for a 'run'), the one which resulted in the broken ankle.

I am told that the first thing she said, while en route to the emergency room, was "Don't cancel my Appleseed registration! I'm going, anyway!"

And she sure did, and stayed the entire day, plugging away with an AR, going downrange to check targets just like everyone else (I personally heard her say, late in the day "Has anyone got a magazine I can bum?" - when was the last time you heard your grandmother say something like that? :)). A fine example for all Americans, and wish more of them could have seen her fortitude and determination. How many of you have had your grandmothers come to an Appleseed? Why, this lady is going to wind up being able to out-shoot 99.9% of America's rifle owners. Take it to the bank!

Marksmanship innovations at this Appleseed, some more important than others:

*The requirement that AR-15s have the charging handle pulled back was dropped - it being determined at Bloomington that the chamber flag made that requirement obsolete.

*The dry-fire run-thru of the transitional stages (twice for Stage 2, once for Stage 3) which was done in Bloomington to the confusion of at least some on the line was more clearly explained, and went pretty much without a hitch.

*The sitting (position intro/practice) was fired as 5 rounds in 25 seconds. To drive home the lesson that 'a rifleman fires every shot rapid fire' - most of them were surprisingly (maybe) able to do it, and, as usual when you 'rush' them, there were some good groups turned in.

*NPOA is refined to the simple and the precise: 1. close eyes; 2. relax body; 3. breathe in and out; 4. verify... That last means you continue to go thru the exercise of "getting your NPOA" until you open your eyes, and the front sight is on the target, which means you have verified that you have your NPOA.

At the end of the day, we brought out one of the full-size "D" targets, so they can see what they'll be shooting on the next day.

We'll also be doing volley-fire on the Redcoat targets, this AM. If you saw it when we did it in Bloomington, you'll know to anticpate something impressive: 40+ rifles going off as one, with a tunderous "BOOM!" Heck of a thing to experience!

Which (as I am finishing this up Sunday morning, prior to heading to the range for another day of Appleseeding) is what we'll be doing today.

We'll warm up with a review of everything at 25 m, then transition to the full-distance AQT, so they can learn that 'what works at 25, works at 400'.

Looks to be another hot day, ahead of us.

But who cares? It's APPLESEED TIME!

"Appleseed. It's a beautiful thing."

And it's not a noun, it's a verb! :)

PS: We awarded two Rifleman badges, one to a .22 rifle shooter, the other to an M1A shooter. (Say, where were all the tricked-out AR-15s in the rifleman line-up? :))

ax238 of this forum showed up, and it was a pleasure to meet him. Seems "ax238" is short-hand for "Acts 2:38".

Thanks to the two Liberty Writers who volunteered to give up their spots on the line about half-way through the day, and worked as line officers the rest of the day. Guys, you set a fine example for others!

I was going to title this report "Putting the 'Ash' Back into 'Wabash'" but couldn't figure out how to make it work! ;D

Maybe to your relief? ;D ;D ;D ;D
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

The Guy

All I can say is that it was one for the ages.

When I started hearing stories about "Mom", I knew it would be a good one.

When I saw the several father/son father/daughter teams, plus the Mom 'n' Kids, I knew it would be a good one.

When I heard Fred say "we'll get medival on you..." durring a point of instruction, I knew it would be a good one, for sure!

Either that, or Fred has been hanging around me too much.....

WOW.

If the mag ban passes, making me a fellon in Illinoi(sucks), I wanna move to Wabash, IN.

Good folks there.

Practically Guys, all.

We had 7 Riflemen qualify, and others showed marked improvement.  There is now a cadre of Instructors to be, just needing an RBC to finnish them off.

The range was a nice one, and we got some full distance work in today, forming two lines, shooting 100 and 200, then swaping, and then 300 and 400, and swaping.  This worked better than we could have asked for, with the offset berms.  But enough of the range.

The people, the bit that counts, they were through and through Appleseed matterial.  The listened and responded to the History.  They listened and responded to the Instruction.

I belive many heard the call.

The call to become Instructors.  To become the ultimate patriot.

The patriot that teaches his fellow countrymen.

To the Liberty Writers, great club, great ideas, great exicution.

To the rest, thank you for being there.  It was a pleasure.

And we want to see you there next time, with freinds (the seventh step in action)

And we want to see you hit that Rifleman score.

And to the lucky ones who's kids were there with you on this Father's Day weekend?

I can't think of a better present, go tell your kids "Thanks".

See you next one!!!!

(or we'll get medieval on you...!!)

The Guy

Scout

Quote from: Fred on June 17, 2007, 06:26:29 AM
      I am told that the first thing she said, while en route to the emergency room, was "Don't cancel my Appleseed registration! I'm going, anyway!"

And she sure did, and stayed the entire day, plugging away with an AR, going downrange to check targets just like everyone else (I personally heard her say, late in the day "Has anyone got a magazine I can bum?" - when was the last time you heard your grandmother say something like that? :)). A fine example for all Americans, and wish more of them could have seen her fortitude and determination. How many of you have had your grandmothers come to an Appleseed? Why, this lady is going to wind up being able to out-shoot 99.9% of America's rifle owners. Take it to the bank!

Are you pulling our legs? Anyone have a magazine I can bum? Running with a goat? A 65 year old randma with an AR on crutches? This is too much I am cracking up. You guys (or you and The Guy)make it sound great. I sure wish I could have been there to experience it. Love to hear about it, but can't wait to see it in the "whites of their eyes". ;D
BattleRoadUSA.com

"Who wants Ice Cream?" Fred

Sixty seconds is way too long for a minute, I am cutting it down to thirty seven seconds- SoM

"You can shout it, you can preach it, but no matter how many times you repeat it, NEVER believe your own bullSh*t." (as told to me by Grin Reaper)

ax238

I had tried to drag at least 7 people with me, but sold only my cousin.  When we were leaving, having enjoyed himself so much, before we got out o fthe parking lot he said ....'man, I can't wait for October in Evansville I want to do the whole weekend.'  I shared the same thoughts with him.  Having to make due with the Saturday only, I am already making plans for Evansville myself.  

Wow, so much was delivered to the table, and swallowed and stirred around as you tried to digest and use the wonderful vitamins that was in the food it is hard to know where to begin.  For $45, you got WAY more than you thought you were going to get.  

First, there was the first class instruction performed and presented by guys who love to shoot and enjoy showing people the same.
    Then, secondly, there was the structure and presentation itself.  Visual, then follow with drills and inspection.
    Third, there was the inspiration of April 19, 1775 coming to your door step facing you with the ultimatum to accept the debt and take it in hand or shrug it off as irrelevent.  The story time brought personal accounts of live events to life where your could feel the emotion, taste the powder and understand the sacrifice's given.  
    Fourth, to pick up a rifle and have a new found confidence that can be honed into a well oiled machine with practise and THOSE SIX STEPS!!
    And lastly, having The Guy yell at you was definetely worth showing up for, he has a knack for a vocabulary improve I have never seen before!  Really, Fred and The Guy, you guys should be on the (2 dif mags) cover of Gentlemen magazine!  You are truly are gentlemen to share your knowledge and love of being a Rifleman, and to do it for free is a wonderful thing.  

The Guy, thanks for letting me borrow your M1A.  I am contacting SA about that short sight post and hoping I can get a warranty thing going.  ????  I had a wonderful time, and came away with a new found sense of duty and greater pride in the duty I have here and now for fighting the soft war and spreading the tradition of the Standard of Rifleman.

I could go on and on..... Fred, what a wonderful vision you have.  Each shooter that attends can sense and pick up that felt duty for themselves, and understand what needs to be done.  

once I figure out the process for posting pics, I will.
Tyrants prefer disarmed victims. Those who want freedom must be willing to fight for it.

The Guy

ax,

I think it was your ammo, upon further reflection.  Was high in my rifle as well.  Try some comercial 168gr or less, (no 180gr hunting rounds, will damage your oprod!) and see what works.  Let me know if it does, and then start keeping your eye out for surplus.

Silver Bear and wolf both worked fine in my rifle so far also.

And weren't you using Barnaul (sp?)?  I have seen it used 2 times now, and if it is the problem with yours, then it hasn't shot well either time.  Ask 1shot about Barnaul sometime....

It was good meeting the two of you, and I am looking forward to seeing both of you in Evansville.

The Guy

Old Dog

For you "do-it-yourselfers" out there;  I've read on another website that is mostly about M14's and M1A's that the front sights on the Chinese M14 copies (PolyTech, Norinco) are taller than the US sights and usually need to be replaced with a shorter US sight.  If you come across any of these at Gun Shows or on ebay it would proabaly be a good idea to buy one or two.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

ax238

Yep, i was using the barnaul sp.  Thought it a cheap learner and (thought) that it would shoot a little better than the pakistani I have....sigh...  wonder how i would have done with some good stuff!  I am heading to the range this week to try some surplus to try and nail down whether or not it was the ammo or the sight. 
Tyrants prefer disarmed victims. Those who want freedom must be willing to fight for it.

The Guy

I like the paki, shoots well in my rifle.

Let us know.

An that is good info M1A4ME.  Would be the next step.

LIBERTYWRITERS

Thanks again Fred and Guy for ANOTHER awesome Appleseed! We at the Liberty Writers continue to be inspired by your professionalism at every turn.

Just to let your know.."MOM" had a great time and of course was inspired by the "April 19, 1775 story". She says she will be ready for the Appleseed in Evansville in October like the rest of us, and will TRY not to be all banged up before the shoot ;) (No goat handling!)

We are very glad to hear that your guys enjoyed our range, things could have went a little smoother on our end, but it is a learning process...next time we will know. Glad we could entertain you two with out family bickering about who's ammo was who's and the all important "who has my spare magazines", of course I got blamed for taking mom's magazines! Geeezzzz!

I was very impressed by a couple of people there, as well as inspired.

First was my friend Russel who had a hard time getting up and down on the firing line with two atifical hips and a cane, had his skin burnt off his elbow from brass that had rolled on his pad that he couldn't get away from, but continued to shoot and finished the whole shoot.

The other was my 26 year old niece who hasn't shot too much with us, as she lives quite a bit South of where we are located. She was lying next to me as I had foolishly placed a mat between us to try and keep some of the brass consolidated and off us for a while. It backfired. After the string of ten shots or so was over, she jumped up and mumbled something, I looked over to see her eyes water and she was out a breath. She lifted her shirt a little to show the HUGE welts that soon turned into big, nasty blisters on her belly. I asked her what had happened. She said all her brass from her AR-15 has bouced off the mat and had rolled under her, but she kept shooting... I asked her why didn't she stop and flick them out from under her, and she said "HAD" to finsh shooting at her targets first, she "HAD" to get the shots out...

All I can tell you guys is I'm not sure I would have had the disipline to finish out the string of shots for that round.

If "the day" ever comes and I am on the grassy mound waiting on MY British soldiers coming up MY battle road, something tells my I will NOT have to look to my left and right to see if I am there all alone, with family and friends like mine, I won't have to look....for I KNOW that on the day our Liberty is challanged, I will NOT be there alone!

I am a truly a blessed man.....

Old Dog

I've got to admire your niece.  I've laid my rifle down and got off my pad more than once to keep somebody's brass off me.  I don't know how she did it.  Also, congratulations on having family members like you do.  I can't get either one of my brothers to come to an Appleseed.
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

ax238

BTW, how do I get my certificate of participation for Saturday event?  I didnt obtain one at the shoot of course.

RifleWoman

PM me your name and address, and I'll send you one.

RW

Quote from: ax238 on June 19, 2007, 07:43:21 PM
BTW, how do I get my certificate of participation for Saturday event?  I didnt obtain one at the shoot of course.

Many hands make light work and easy bailing.

Fred

I believe my fellow instructor at Wabash will agree: the second day was better than the first. Even if the first, we both agreed at the end of it, was 'great'.

For one thing, it seemed to be just a little bit cooler on Sunday than Saturday.

For another, we made five more riflemen this day, as compared to two on Saturday.

For a third, with the basics behind us, we worked on review during the morning, and a full-distance AQT in the afternoon. (For the instructors, the latter was very interesting, as you will see.)

And, after that review, where the instructor pulled a 'fast and loose' with the students, by misstating the Six Steps, to see who was listening (no one was, allowing Fred to berate them for being slow to 'think' on Sunday mornings), we started with the Redcoat target, only we fired it, 1775-style, by volleys.

Yep, by volleys.

As in, "Ready, Aim, Fire!" - BOOM!

It's great to hear, and pushes the students to learn to get that first shot off fast.

Most of the volleys sounded like the extended "BOOM!" of one long shot.

One was pretty ragged, straggling over 2 seconds (seemed longer, but prob shorter).

Followed by a 20-shot Classification AQT as practice for the first AQT of the day. Again, some people did well, others less so.

The full 40-rd AQT was fired before lunch, and some people were really sweating that 'rifleman' score. At least one, and maybe two or three, shot rifleman on this AQT (Guy was keeping scores).

Fred was able increase interest and drive home the lesson that "a rifleman fires every shot rapid fire" by cutting down the time in the last stage from 5 minutes to 90 secs - heck, all the extra time would just have been wasted...

Having finished a few minutes early, we did a team event on the star targets. For once in Fred's experience, there was not a team which did not have multiple bullets in the stars - so he declared it was a tie - everyone won! (Gosh, can he be any nicer?)

After lunch, during which we posted full-distance AQTs at 300 and 400, we moved the firing line - the entire line! - down to the 200-yard target line, and divided the students into two relays - one to fire on the 300-yard target line (100 yards away, hence they'd be shooting the Stage 1 "Standing" portion of the AQT), and the other to fire the Stage 2 "Rapid Sitting" on the targets at 400 yards (but now only 200 yards away).

Unique in my Appleseed experience, one instructor called both lines simultaneously, telling Relay 1 that on the load command, they'd load ten, whereas Relay 2 would load only two. And that Relay 1 had two minutes, so that they should ignore the first "Cease Fire" Command at 60 seconds. To drive the lesson home, commands specific to a relay were preceded by "Relay X, ..."

Gee, it worked like a charm, the relay on the left firing ten shots standing, the relay on the right side of the line dropping to sitting, firing ten shots in 60 seconds.

Once targets were scored and marked, the relays flip-flopped - changed sides of the firing line - and shot the stage they didn't shoot the first time.

Then the entire line moved back to the original firing line, so that the 300 targets were now at 300 yards, and the 400 ones at 400, where the process of simultaneous relays was repeated.

It really sped things up, and left time for a 25m rapid-fire AQT on the red AQTs we brought with us.

At the end of the day, we covered some of the April 19th personalities we didn't have time for on Saturday - Sam Whittemore and Isaac Davis.

The Granny showed up Sunday (slightly to my surprise) for another day's shooting, ankle cast, crutches, and all. Wish half the men in this country were half as tough, and one-tenth as committed. We'd have a lot better country, right?

We cleaned up the range and got out of Dodge just as a thunderstorm moved in, bringing fresh breezes which only minutes earlier would have blown targets away.

My only disappointment is that we should have worked in another B & D drill - but try as you might - you can't do everything...

On the trip back to Illinois, Guy and Fred had the chance to talk over the weekend and both believed it was - hard to say this, as ALL Appleseeds are great! - a superior Appleseed. There, I said it! Choked it right out. Admitted it.

Serious people, these Indiana ditch-water drinkers.

Serious people, indeed.

Making it all the more pleasure to come and teach them a little marksmanship and history.

To the people who came to Wabash, to learn shooting and heritage: Thank you!

Your instructors loved you!

In fact, we're already talking about coming back in the spring, and the possibility of a Rifleman Boot Camp...   
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

LIBERTYWRITERS

Ok let's try some pics....

LIBERTYWRITERS

or try AGAIN!!!

LIBERTYWRITERS

Not a paintballgun Fred Geezzz.....I think you have AR envey...lol

LIBERTYWRITERS

Gadsden Flag looking quite lovely under Old Glory...was a sign to all that the Patriots were there to train...

(More pics to Follow later...)

Fred

Note in that first picture, the young lady on crutches.

She shot both days, and it was at our insistence that she accepted a ride down to the 200-yard line when we started the long-distance AQT.

Otherwise, she made it to the target line, on crutches, with everyone else.

Say, any men out there?

Six and one-quarter MILLION Hoosiers?

And one of the most remarkable is the lady on crutches.

She showed up, broken ankle and all...

Surely all the three million-plus Hoosier men who didn't show at this Appleseed were not remarkable in any way.

Just your average, standard-issue, boring Doofus Americanus, run-of-the-mill sleeping 21st-century sorry excuses of the typical modern American male(?) - note the question mark next to "male".

Sorry to digress off into humor.

Note that Fred is showing proper respect to "the old lady"... ;D

Thanks for posting the pics, LIBERTYWRITER.

Looking forward to more...

George T

Fred or The Guy:  No tar & feathers....the club advised that the board of directors would decide on Appleseed.  Several members were very interested in attending.  One director suggested use of a berm for backstop.  I have pictures of ranges, possible line locations to send after scanning, etc.  This may take some time as I am not the most knowledgable with computer!

I really think this can happen, here in S/E Ohio!!  I would like to present more info to the membership at the next meeting, third Thursday in July.  I am open to suggestions as to closing the "sale", although I hope to meet with directors individually before then.  Do you have a packet of info for ranges or additonal handout materials?  I passed around the Appleseed brochure received with one of Fred's orders and posted at the club. 

Point me in the right direction so I can contact you with pics and other info.

Thanks again for a great experience at Wabash!  I did not make Rifleman, but learned a lot and want to pass it on, especially to the young folks.

Fred

George - good to hear from you!

We have a thread somewhere that suggests you go slow in dealing with your club and getting permission to host an Appleseed. (Who'd believed you'd have to go slow with a gun club, to get permission to host an Appleseed?)

The thread suggests you get several members shooting the AQT with you, so that when the time comes to make the suggestion at a club or board meeting, it's not just one person doing the suggesting - but a group of members.

Long experience in gun club operations tells me it's much harder to 'dis' a group of members, but relatively easy to 'put off' one...

If possible, either get a boad member shooting the AQT with you, or let him see you (all) shooting the AQT.

Then go to the club or board meetng with someone 'inside' who will support the program.

The most common response is "why should we turn our range over to strangers, and tell club members they can't shoot on our property that weekend?' (The last only if the Appleseed would take over the whole range, like in Wabash).

Or, "Who knows what these [Appleseed] people want, what they are really about, what kind of hidden agenda they may have?"

Or - and to us Appleseeders, maybe the funniest, "Why should we let them come to our range, and leave with a pile of money, for parts unknown?"

You have to be prepared to face these questions square - to tell them, they are not "giving up the range" to Appleseed, but to the Second Amendment for the weekend - and this is what they should do, if they care...

That Appleseed is 100% non-profit, and so registered, and that not one soul in Appleseed is paid - we're 100% volunteers.

That, maybe surprisingly, we have no agenda, other than waking Americans up to their heritage, and teaching rifle marksmanship.

You were there, George.

You saw for yourself, the truth of the above.

Which will add to your presentation.

Good luck, and hope we'll soon be having our FIRST Appleseed in o-HI-o... :)

And, BTW, a pleasure having you on the firing line at Wabash. You looked good, handling that Garand like a pro. Glad there weren't any young chicks around to see... ;D

cannonman61

Go George!!

I hope to hear more about an Appleseed in Ohio, my home state. I am now a Georgia boy and we are working too to put on our first Appleseed here in Hinesville. Getting the range owners permission was for me at least, the easy part. I hope the rest falls into place nicely as well.

I go "home to Ohio several times a year and perhaps I can attend your event when the time comes. I look forward to your posting the info when it happens. I have had some experience with a great range near New Philadelphia, Tusco Rifle Club. If you cant get your ange to hold one, you may want to approach them. Ohio has some great patriots and more than a few riflemen, we need to hold an Appleseed there. 

As I said, Go Geoge go!! Run with it!

Dave aka cannonman61
Artillery lends dignity to what would otherwise be a vulgar brawl.

LIBERTYWRITERS

Ok couple more....

LIBERTYWRITERS

LIBERTYWRITERS

Tools of the trade.....

LIBERTYWRITERS

Ball and dummy....

LIBERTYWRITERS

Good sitting position...

Frenchie

With all the changes to this site, I was unable to add my comments as a newbie on the Wabash Appleseed in a timely fashion.  I will reinforce that it was a very hot and long day on Saturday...I put on SPF30 sunblock and a T-shirt and still got a mild case of sunburn on my back.  Although I have never been to an Appleseed, the local Hoosiers seemed very friendly...except when I made fun of one of the guy's choice in pickup brands...seems most of them worked for Chrysler.  Who knew?

One thing the after-action reports missed was the young couple bickering about who was shooting whose target on Sunday.  If you've ever wondered what Fred would look like as a Dr. Phil stand-in, Guy can let you know now.

I found the Appleseed very informative and very helpful for improving my shooting skills, and enjoyed the history lesson.  I've been practicing since the Appleseed and have been talking it up to some Ohio gun guys.  I've heard rumors of a possible Ohio Appleseed next year?  I wish I had a place to volunteer, but I don't at this time.

I've pretty much blown through my gun budget this year, but would certainly do another Appleseed in the future. I probably should get some sort of iron-sight .22 over the winter in the vein of the Liberty .22 Trainer to keep practice costs down over the long-term.

Anyway, I just wanted to thank everyone involved for a great weekend and let you know that, yes, your efforts do bear fruit in the long run.

Mr. Glock @ OFCC

The Guy

Ah, the infamous game, "Who's target is it anyway?"

Had a great photo op in Ottowa.  Sign said something like "JOHN'S TARGET --->" in big bright spray paint.

Yeah, them Chrysler boys were a real batch, weren't they?  Lots of good folk there, that was for sure!

The Guy

ps, good to have you here!

Grin Reaper

QuoteIf you've ever wondered what Fred would look like as a Dr. Phil stand-in
I've never felt so confused and amused all at once.  ;D
"There's gotta be a few umlauts laying around somewhere." JB