News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Beaver Falls, PA April 14-15, 2012

Started by EZ3, April 17, 2012, 11:04:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ3

Last weekend began the fourth year of Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club hosting Project Appleseed.  I want to begin by thanking them for their continued hospitality and for the range improvements that continue to make this Club a better place to Appleseed.    O0

The weather forecast was grim, but nine intrepid students ventured forth to absorb some American History, Rifle Marksmanship, and precipitation.  The rain on Saturday gave us the opportunity to have an extended History lesson, and the students were active learners.  Tony in particular was well-read on the pre-war period, and brought up some interesting points.  Special thanks to Andy for volunteering to do the pizza run, and to Ev for bringing coffee cake and making coffee.   :bow:

Sunday dawned overcast, and became unseasonably warm in the afternoon.  I think the students were glad that MrHappy insisted they take a break from the AQT grind and go plink steel on the 200yd range for a while.  At the end of the day, only Mike was able to cross the threshold and earn the Rifleman patch.  Congratulations!  Jon was on the doorstep, and we hope that he, and the rest of the students will persist in their efforts.  Come shoot with us again!  You can do this!   &)

Thanks to Charlotte and Colleen for coming out to Appleseed with us again.  And thanks to Edheler and Stand for great work under challenging conditions.  I see red hats in their future.   :~
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

Edheler

What a great weekend! I never expected to be so worn out being an instructor in training. (Important lesson for my next shoot, take work gloves and don't forget the sunscreen!) It was great to see Coleen and Charlotte learning the prone position, how to use their slings and wanting to do more. At their age I doubt I could have done as well! Lee and Tony on my side of the line had great improvement over the weekend -- keep practicing! Andy, don't clean that rifle next time! :) I really do understand your frustration -- you're there just relax.

By the end of the weekend the front half of the sole of my right boot almost came off. (How much walking did I do?) I have super-glued my boot back together and we will see how it holds up this weekend in Knob Creek, KY. :) (Taking a spare pair of boots just in case though!)

Look forward to working again with MrHappy and Stand weekend after next in Vienna, OH!

MrHappy

A fine start to the 2012 AppleSeed-son full true. Yes indeed a big THANK YOU to the excellent folks at BVR&PC for hosting us again this year. Truly one of my favorite ranges to work. The weather wasn't that bad, although we did have a very good history session. It is nice when the Pilgrims add their thoughts and knowledge to the mix. Hats off to Stand for his first presentation of history. Right scary isn't it, at least til it's behind you, eh? It gets easier and before you know it's actually fun. No, really I mean it! The fact that newbie Edheler was so worn out, beat up, sore and sunburnt is a testimony to just how hard he worked. Well done carrot top, now get back to work!!!
Although we had but one new Rifleman, That really doesn't speak to the improvement I saw over the weekend. It was Lee's 3rd AS and my, my, my, what tiny little groups you shot on that Red Coat!! I remember when you were fresh from the gun store and I wasn't sure if even behind you was safe. OK, that's overstating those first groups but you have come a very long way. Keep it up!
Again, very promising start to the season.
Give me Liberty or give me Death
Slaves don't dream of being free. Slaves dream of being Masters ~ August Stetten

Chainsaw

Tom Scheller

Domari Nolo

Charles McKinley

Thank you to BVR&PC  My home away from home range.  I wish I was closer it is a wonderful facility with incredible people.

Edheler will be relieved to know that the team Pink & Green will only be back when I can devote my full attention to them, so that I can devote my full attention to the line.  Not to mention it will be easier to get through Issac Davis with out the lil cherubs sitting there.

It was great working with Mike and Burt,who I met at the Winterseed.  I'm glad they brought .22 this time.  I admire them for sticking to thier center-fires for the Winter seed.  I believe that Burt won't be far behind in getting his patch.  It will be interesting to see if they go out to the shop and take the rasp to their stocks.

I enjoyed meeting everyone on the line and look forward to their return.

:pics:

I will get them off the phone and here soon.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Invictus Maneo

Appleseed is quite the thing. I have never met more patient or patriotic people in one place at one time. I won't get wordy but THANK YOU to Gary, Lee, Mike, Chuck and everyone that makes it worthwhile. I am sorry but I do not know all of your forum names. A special thanks to Mr Happy for continued patience and Teutonic attitude. I probably would not return if it were not for his stern manner and discipline (and an incredible amount of patience). Though I really wanted to learn the "Old School" method of Iron Sights, I would highly recommend to all of you out there that if your vision is less than 80/20 corrected that you forgo the iron sights. I spent the last three Appleseeds shooting Iron Sights at a very blurry figment of my imagination. A special thanks to Mike for loaning me his rifle with a scope and ammo and taking the time time to get me acclimated. . By the way, I will be replacing my (as MrHappy calls it  "the Abomination of all Stocks") with a Hogue Overmoulded.
Also a big thanks to Beaver Valley for hosting. Nice club and very nice event. Also the blueberry coffeecake and coffee were an added bonus. Sorry Lee I am not sure if it is Eve or Ev but she stirs up a mean coffeecake. See you guys soon. I will get my patch before my rifleman's card expires, that is my goal.
Also very impressed with AJ and Chuck and their girls/nieces, it gives me hope.

Peace,
Lee
Invictus Maneo

P.S. If I ever wave my muzzle around like that again, banish me from the line, I was very disappointed with that and do not want to compromise the integrity of Appleseed.
"Among the many misdeeds of the British rule in India, history will look upon the act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mahatma Gandhi

"A small body of determined spirits fired by an unquenchable faith in their mission can alter the course of history."
- Mahatma Gandhi

�Politics is supposed to be the second oldest profession. I have come to realize that it bears a very close resemblance to the first.�
- Ronald Reagan

�Those who are too smart to engage in politics are punished by being governed by those who are dumber.�
- Plato

"My Son, Freedom is best, I tell thee true, of all things to be won."
- William Wallace

Edheler

Lee,

I am glad I had my scoped ruger with me so I could lend it to you. I am also glad you liked the stock. I just love how my support hand doesn't slip its position when using it. I have no doubt you will score rifleman long before your ROC expires.

We all make mistakes from time to time, we just have to keep working on getting better. Feel free to ask me sometime, when you see me on the Appleseed trail, how I almost got tackled by a senior instructor (Dinky) at one of the Appleseeds I attended. :-[

Edheler

Charles McKinley

Lee,

It was Great meeting you.  I hope to see you many more time on the trail.

Thank you for the kind words about my munchkins.  Wait til you see Mouth dressed up like Mother Bathrick! (Comming to an Appleseed this summer)

Stand
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

EZ3

Better late than never?
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy