News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Williamsburg, KY - April 14-15, 2012

Started by dond, April 17, 2012, 10:37:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

Seven shooters showed up for a weekend of Appleseed in the hills of KY. If there was one word that was repeated more than any other, it was the FUN they were having. This was exemplified the most by a senior lady, whose name should have been PERSISTENCE. It was her first time at shooting rifles and she had some physical limitations. But there was no limit to her indomitable spirit. She had to leave for a 2:00 P.M. meeting, but returned afterward, still full of determination and pluck. After the Saturday program was over she went home and set out tomato plants and returned Sunday morning with sore elbows, now protected by band-aids and some elbow pads she had made from socks and sponges. I also lent her some of mine, which went on top of hers. She couldn't make the transitions, but wound up with a score of 185. She amazed us all.

The range owner was most helpful and accommodating, using his 4-wheel drive truck to transport equipment to and from the range, and encouraging the shooters, as well as helping me set up the target line earlier. And he also shot a score of 221, earning his Rifleman Patch. There were other high scores as well. One shooter shot a 206, even with malfunctions and a bolt action rifle. Another shot a 200 with an AR. And still another, older experienced shooter, suffered from back pain Saturday and we were worried that he might not return the next day. But there was no need to worry. He remembered his pain medication and went to work in earnest. He struggled to combat some bad habits and wound up with a 198, which was quite an accomplishment. He will return and get his Patch!  O0 

Using TPI, it was obvious that all understood the KD lesson, and in addition, they asked some probing questions about it.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

dond

Well, my wife has properly chastised me for neglecting to comment on the outstanding job of the other instructors. I can meekly offer the excuse that it was a long trip for us, and as a result, we didn't begin the trip home until Monday morning. And I awoke that morning with a BAD COLD. I spent most of the day being a couch potato, trying to recover. That is why this report is so late. But then too, everyone who knows me is well aware of my forgetfulness.  #)

Unbridled Liberty and Magloader did a magnificent job of presenting the history. And everyone excelled at calling the line and clearing rifles. It was a fine group of instructors and I look forward to working with them again.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Magloader

This was a really great shoot. The shooters were all listening and putting up with us instructors yelling at them, and they all made great progress.

I do however say that the biting flies were terrible and I think they should be banned from all Appleseeds. Mosquitoes too.

There was one woman I have to give kudos to: Fae you were an inspiration for all of us. With all your health problems, and joint difficulties, you got down in the dirt with us, and made such amazing progress. It was wonderful to watch and I cannot wait to see you at the next shoot! You WILL get that badge soon!!

Brian, it was a pleasure working with you, and you did an amazing job, even with all your technical difficulties. It was wonderful to work with you and you had BETTER come back!

Boyd and Janna, it was great to see you all there and work with you, and you both made amazing progress! You are both so close!!!

And to Butch, our esteemed range host: All I can say is Guh-rooh-vy. ;)

I am working on getting my pictures up and posted and they shall be along shortly!!!

ML

Side note: This was one of the best ways I could think of to spend my 17th birthday, and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. Thanks guys for the great day!
Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in Heaven.- Mathew 5:16

Jesus answered, " I am the way, truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

Magloader

Well I had a blonde moment (ooops) and I forgot my camera the first day, but I made up for it the second day. Thanks to all you shooters for letting me get in your face with my camera!!

First morning target

Students grading each others AQTs. How sweet!!!

We are all sitting and talking with each other. You wouldn't think that not 10 seconds later we all jumped up and started....

Our ESTEEMED range host. Peace, man.

Ms. Alice Fae who was such an inspiration :)

HOW AM I SUPPOSED TO READ THE BLASTED THING UPSIDEDOWN!?!?!?!?!?

Boyd in a great standing position

Brian daring his target to flap in the wind

" Butch, don't look now, but there is something I should show you...."

When Brian just stands there and lets you take his picture, there is DEFINITELY something up...

Don and Fae having a heart-to-heart talk on her AQTs......

EGAD!! There was someone else taking pictures!!!

Brian talks to his rifle, to make sure it KNOWS who is THE BOSS

OUR NEWEST RIFLEMAN!!!!!!! CONGRATS BUTCH!!!!

Well what can I say....we all have an inner hippie that we need to get in touch with every now and again....

Great job everyone! See you next time!!!
Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in Heaven.- Mathew 5:16

Jesus answered, " I am the way, truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

jmdavis

"If a man does his best, what else is there?"  - General George S. Patton Jr

...We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
  For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
  Shall be my brother...-Shakespeare, Henry V

"There's a great deal of talk about loyalty from the bottom to the top. Loyalty from the top down is even more necessary and is much less prevalent. One of the most frequently noted characteristics of great men who have remained great is loyalty to their subordinates."
- General George S. Patton, Jr

"Your body can't go where your mind hasn't been."
- Alex Arrieta 1995 NTI Winner