News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Wabash, IN, April 14-15, 2012, AAR

Started by Rimshot, April 16, 2012, 12:43:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rimshot

Thanks To the Wabash Wildlife and Sportsman Association for hosting us this weekend.  This range is picturesque and well maintained all the time, but fresh plywood on the target line and a freshly mowed firing line were particularly inviting this weekend.  Speaking of particularly inviting, thanks to club president Tim for not only participating on Saturday, but for surprising us with a delicious lunch of home made pulled pork on Sunday.  Not sure what was in that sauce but it was immediately addictive and withdrawal has already set in...  $$-0

To the nine hardy souls that braved sun, rain, and hot brass, thank you.  Welcome Matthew to the ranks of riflemen.  Don't slack off now because Sarah's right behind you and will outshoot you soon if you aren't on your game.  Pam and Chris you made huge improvements and I hope to see you both again at an Appleseed soon.  Colt, your last set of targets were outstanding!  You were gaining almost 20 points every time we went through an AQT!  Melissa, you have outstanding groups.  If we can keep one rifle working through the entire weekend next time I'm sure you will do great.  Courtlin... Wow.  You are awesome.  So very close to that 210.  I'm rooting for you, young lady.  FireAxes, we'll see you soon with some new headwear, right?

Finally, some photos.  I know others have better ones, so feel free to chime in with them.

Saturday, before the first shots.

Practicing the prone position.

Father and daughter take on the morning Redcoats.
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

FireAxes

I only got to make one day of this shoot, I sure picked a nice day. I work a few miles down the road from this range and had never been there before. That will have to change. A very well kept range from what I saw.

A very diverse group of shooters, I love that Appleseeds are so family friendly. I think I have my Wife talked into coming to the next one held at Wabash.

Courtlin almost had her patch. We all know she can do it. I wouldn't be the least bit suprised if she makes it on her first AQT at the next shoot.

I shot fairly well, not great. I wanted to get some time in on an AR I put together. Not blaming the rifle, just part of the learning curve of getting things just right. 

I didn't get to take any pictures. I was too busy shooting.

I work with Chris, I'll get some feedback from him. It was his first Appleseed and he's never had any real instruction. I'll post anything he has to say.

I wasn't trying to knock down the steel. If I'm not careful, I'm going to get a bad reputation for doing that. Sorry, Didn't mean to ruin the fun.

Finally, I have accepted the challenge of taking an orange hat. It will be difficult. I'm not known for being talkative.

Hope to see everyone soon. Rochester, maybe?

yellowhousejake

Quote from: FireAxes on April 16, 2012, 09:07:51 PM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she makes it on her first AQT at the next shoot.

Neither will I, tell her I said "Howdy!"

Finally, I have accepted the challenge of taking an orange hat. It will be difficult. I'm not known for being talkative.

A fine Idea, welcome to the ranks!

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

FireAxes

Quote from: yellowhousejake on April 16, 2012, 11:12:58 PM
I wouldn't be the least bit surprised if she makes it on her first AQT at the next shoot.

Neither will I, tell her I said "Howdy!"

A fine Idea, welcome to the ranks!

YHJ

She'll be excited that you are checking up on her. I'll let her read the AAR in the morning before she heads to school.

NWIeng

I work with Chris, I'll get some feedback from him. It was his first Appleseed and he's never had any real instruction. I'll post anything he has to say.

Please relay to Chris that for a first time rifle shooter, or at least first time taking instruction, he has a very good base to start with, as I hopefully relayed to him a couple of times.

I'm sure that at another event, with a solid elbow pad that takes his mind off any pain, I'd expect to see scores rise further.

NWIeng

Let's get some more pictures in here....

Our stellar firing line full of eager shooters as the weather turned around on Sunday...

Our newest Rifleman Matthew....

Some story-telling....

AuntieBellum

So many familiar people in those pics!  Courtlin - you know we all know you can do it, and we're all rooting for you.  I certainly hope I'm lucky enough to be there when you do.  Congrats to our new Rifleman and to our potential new orange hat.  It's not about being talkative, Fireaxes - it's about knowing what you're talking about and having the passion to pass it along.  And I know you have that.  And thank you, Wabash, for hosting another great Appleseed.  Another great Appleseed weekend!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

hooky

How many people at this point are rooting for Courtlin and following AARs to see when she makes Rifleman?  I can' think of a couple.  Looks like a nice range that provided some great fun and history.

FireAxes

Quote from: hooky on April 18, 2012, 11:59:15 AM
How many people at this point are rooting for Courtlin and following AARs to see when she makes Rifleman?  I can' think of a couple.  Looks like a nice range that provided some great fun and history.

Her enthusiasm is contagious. She made me check the schedule this morning to see when the next shoot was. I can't think of too many people who would still be this determined. 

I had a long conversation tonight with Chris. He repeatedly stated that Appleseed was great and everyone should try it. He admitted that both physically and mentally, he was unprepared for the AQT grind of Sunday. He's not comfortable with transitions or position shooting yet. It got to the point where he decided it would be better to sit out than just sling lead down range. I can't fault his thinking there. Better to stop than developing a flinch or jerking the trigger just to finish the stage quicker. I believe we will see Chris at Wabash again.  Hopefully, I will talk him into coming back a little sooner than that.

yellowhousejake

Quote from: hooky on April 18, 2012, 11:59:15 AM

No rooting to it, she will. I am just waiting now...

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ