News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gibsonburg Ohio Appleseed - Parents helping kids?

Started by Steadfast, April 15, 2012, 10:08:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steadfast

I see there is an Appleseed coming up in a week close to our location.  This would be our first Appleseed I was considering taking my 14 and 12 year old girls.

Both have new Ruger 10/22's but haven't been out to shoot them a lot. 

My concern is that on the line they may have some malfunction issues or need some help. Is it better that I go as a parent (instead of a participant) to help my kids this time around, so they feel more comfortable?  Are parents allowed to help out in that manner?

If I go to assist my kids, do I have to pay the registration fee even though I am not participating in the shoot?

didactic

PM sent.  Sometimes a parent as a firing line "helper" works well, sometimes not.   :-\

But thanks for your interest, Jim!   O0
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

Ratchett

Jim,

The Gibsonburg range has a fantastic crew of instructors and I am sure the girls will be fine with their rifles. There will be a couple of our junior Instructors there as well which tends to make the teens feel more comfortable as well. I honestly think you will find that you will be able to relax and participate as a shooter without problem.

Enjoy the shoot and have a great time...

In His grip,
Ratchett
Remember only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you: JESUS CHRIST and the AMERICAN ARMED FORCES.
One died for your soul, the other for your freedom-Unk

"The propitious smiles of Heaven can never be expected on a nation that disregards the eternal rules of order and right which Heaven itself has ordained."---Geo Washington, 1789

Those who hope in the Lord will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles.---Isaiah 40:31

A wrathful man stirs up strife,
But he who is slow to anger allays contention.---Prov15:18

"Wisdom is higher than a fool can reach." --P. Wheatley

Charles McKinley

Hi Jim,

The biggest pain in the butt with the 10/22 is the magazine release.  Have them practice it A LOT!  A quick little saying for it is: "Pull it back to keep the bolt back.  Push it up to let the bolt go up."

Clear a room of all ammo and have them get into position and dry fire.

If they can work the bolt release they shouldn't have any problems clearing anything.

My 8 and 9 year daughters old got through it last summer and had a great time.

Don't forget the sunscreen and the water and have FUN!
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

TDog