News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Toccoa, Georgia March 31-April 1

Started by DrJohn, April 02, 2012, 03:58:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

Toccoa was the location of a particularly enjoyable and successful Appleseed weekend. Energetic work on the part of our Georgia promotions team resulted in the event being sold out, even after we had recruited more instructors and added to the event's capacity. Georgia Mountain Shooting Assoc. has made a number of improvements to the range, which made the venue even more enjoyable. We began with the Safety Briefing and then heard a fine First Strike. We separated into two lines and then shot our first Redcoat target, after which we gathered and went through all the fundamentals of rifle marksmanship in one module. namely, Sling Use and the Steady Hold Factors in prone, Natural Point of Aim, and the Six Steps. Then we separated into our respective lines and shot squares drills, in the meantime learning Rifleman's Cadence, Talking Targets, and Inches-Minutes-Clicks. Then we gathered for lunch while we listened to the Second Strike. After lunch we learned Sitting-Kneeling and Transitions, then Standing. After extensive squares drills we heard an excellent Strike Three during our afternoon break. Then we shot one AQT before our final Redcoat target of the day.

Sunday we began with a review of all we had learned the previous day, plus we covered the essentials of shooting at Actual Distance.  During lunch we heard about "Dangerous Old Men, Brave Women, and Gallant Children", and then we shot our first Redcoat target of the day promptly at noon, as agreed with the local churches. We then did Ball and Dummy drill before we began our AQT grind. Our weekend was blessed by the re-qualifying of two previous Rifleman and the creation of six new Riflemen. Several others were so very close but never uttered a murmur of frustration or disappointment, which indicated our event was far more successful in its cultivation of virtue than the sheer number of new Riflemen would indicate. Later in the afternoon we separated into an AQT Line and an Actual Distance 100 yard line, and the shooters at the 100 yard line saw for themselves that what works at 25 yards works at 100 yards (and much farther out, also!).

We concluded by awarding not only the Rifleman patches, but three Orange Hats, and recognized our gallant youth attendees by awarding Young Patriot patches to recognize their contribution to the cause of Liberty. Huzza!!
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

porthos

I was fortunate to attend my first Appleseed this past weekend in Toccoa, GA. DrJohn, Morpheus, Sherpa, Scar, Red Niva, Scarlett, Mechanic, Gretchen and others provided excellent instruction in shooting my rifle. On our first redcoat, I was effective only at 100 yards; on the last redcoat of the weekend, I was able to clear the entire target! A HUGE thanks to all of the fantastic instructors (and fellow shooters). It's tough to quantify the sense of accomplishment and confidence that comes from making such progress; without such outstanding instruction, it certainly would not have happened in two days.

In addition to the excellent shooting instruction (and quite possibly more importantly) it was a real pleasure to hear again the history of April 19, 1775, and the fight for the liberties and freedoms we are so fortunate to enjoy today. Thank you, Morpheus, DrJohn, and Red Niva for sharing those stories with us.

I brought my father (who will readily profess to having last shot a rifle in the 1960s) to the shoot. *All* of the instructors were extremely gracious and patient in teaching him and spent one on one time with him, despite the large number of shooters at the event. He told me he learned a lot, and wants to go again.

I have nothing but praise for a great organization and a fantastic group of folks. Thanks much for an incredible weekend! We will see you again, for sure.

- Justin
"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them". -Thomas Jefferson

"Over grown military establishments are under any form of government inauspicious to liberty, and are to be regarded as particularly hostile to republican liberty." -George Washington

Morpheus

This instructor had one of the best weekends ever at the Toccoa shoot Mar. 31 and Apr. 1. To spend that much time with some of the best people I have ever met (both instructors and shooters) was an absolute joy! The shooters varied greatly in their experience but all of them took to the firehose of instruction with very teachable attitudes. It was very encouraging to see the light of Liberty being kindled in the eyes of the shooters during the Three Strikes and D.O.M. stories.

Many thanks to all those who attended. Remember to dry fire at home, a rifleman persists!! Tell others, get them to an Appleseed! The next one in GA is April 21-22 in Waco and there is plenty of room on the line. We want to get 100 shooters and we can't do it without you! With Franklinfarmer, Oldfudd and DrJohn leading the instructor cadre this is a "can't miss" opportunity.

I hope to see all you shooters again soon and, hopefully, you will be 7th stepping and telling others about your Appleseed experience so we can get more future riflemen and women "off the couch".

Huzzah!!

Steve

"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)