News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Escondido California March 31st/April 1st Appleseed AAR

Started by 4Posterity, April 02, 2012, 12:23:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

4Posterity

Quote from: MaKettle v2.0 on April 05, 2012, 01:25:53 AM

Mark, I've got 19-20 homeschool families interested in attending an Appleseed historical presentation (w/o marksmanship), which translates to about 40-50 attendees.  Depending on location, date, time and cost, half will more likely confirm their attendance, but I've organized events when 100% show.

There are several families who are also interested in participating in a Shoot.  Is there someone at the Escondido range I could contact and ask about allowing another AS shoot there, or at least host the homeschoolers there?  It wouldn't hurt to ask, and I have no qualms about asking.

Appreciatively,

Sheila

Sheila-

We can arrange a history presentation as you have described.  Generally called a LibrarySeed, we can tailor this kind of presentation to your audience.  There is no cost for such an event from our side of things.  We are all volunteers here!

Depending on where the event is held, we may be able to include some characters in period attire with full accouterments. 

As far as getting the Escondido Fish and Game Association to host an event for a large home-school group, I think we may want to ask "Passinthru", one of our instructors, to weigh in.  He is very active in the club and generally know how to navigate around their system.  A lot would depend on when and what day of the week you would like to have an event, and the group size.  Mid-week events are easier on the ranges due to demand for range-time, but often more difficult for students and instructors.  I would like to think that any range would give serious consideration to hosting an event for an organized school group. 

Depending on the group size, the Rainbow Range (L.E. Duncans Rainbow Range and Shooting Club) may be an option as well.  They are very dedicated supporters of the RWVA and the Appleseed Project. 

We can take this out of the AAR for more discussion.

Mark
To be ignorant of what occurred before you were born is to remain always a child.

Marcus Tullius Cicero

"Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race"

Calvin Coolidge

Nero

There's also a (free!) Yale University course on the American Revolution available on YouTube:
http://oyc.yale.edu/history/hist-116

My wife (American Amazon) and I are now through 10 of the 25 lectures, and really enjoying it.  Lots of pre-1775 background that's helpful in setting the stage for Lexington and Concord.

(I know I picked up the link to this somewhere on the forum, but heaven knows where any more, so I don't know who to credit.)

"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Johnnyappleseed

For a quick review ,check out the bill of rights ,as Mark said they were written because of what the english did. Mark's EXCELENT history presentaion covered  those well.

The declaration of independce  was a death sentance for all who signed it --The authors told the source of rights and the purpose of govt. It is easily available too.

The midnight ride of Paul Revere by Longfellow --captures the spirit very well.
Has some great imagery too,.
The above are not meant as substitutes ,but an easy transitiion into more detailed sudiies.
good reading folks and thanx again for your american spirit O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Legacy

Quote from: 4Posterity on April 05, 2012, 01:40:15 AM
Quote from: MaKettle v2.0 on April 05, 2012, 01:25:53 AM

Mark, I've got 19-20 homeschool families interested in attending an Appleseed historical presentation (w/o marksmanship), which translates to about 40-50 attendees.  Depending on location, date, time and cost, half will more likely confirm their attendance, but I've organized events when 100% show.

There are several families who are also interested in participating in a Shoot.  Is there someone at the Escondido range I could contact and ask about allowing another AS shoot there, or at least host the homeschoolers there?  It wouldn't hurt to ask, and I have no qualms about asking.

Appreciatively,

Sheila

Sheila-

Depending on the group size, the Rainbow Range (L.E. Duncans Rainbow Range and Shooting Club) may be an option as well.  They are very dedicated supporters of the RWVA and the Appleseed Project. 

Mark

Sheila (& Mark),

Rainbow Range will definitely be able to accomodate a weekday Appleseed event for home schoolers. A weekend is difficult. Maybe we can do a one day event. If a one day weekend event interests you, let me know & we can discuss.

Debby
Remember their sacrifice. Celebrate our liberty. Cherish your freedom.

3musketeers

Chiming in a little late, but wanted to thank everyone of the volunteers and most especially the many of you who helped our family with loaned rifles and slings and special attention to help us learn the techniques. It is a credit to your program that despite the cold my 9yo participated in all of it save for a few minutes relief in the car. We can't wait to attend the homeschool event(s) that Shiela is setting up.
I don't know if it's possible, but one challenge I can see with Rainbow is for homeschool moms to get their kids up and loaded and all the way to Rainbow by 8:30. Even just a half hour later might seem a lot more doable.
Thanks again!
Shireen

PATRIOTRN

I second the vote of approval. I can't say enough about the quality of the program and friendliness of the instructors.  I had an Awesome time.  Can't wait for my second Appleseed. 8)