News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Myakka City, FL Mar 31-Apr 1, 2012

Started by oldfudd, March 31, 2012, 10:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oldfudd

Just want to open this thread on Saturday night.  We had great weather today in the mid to low 80's with a pretty stiff wind coming from behind us -- no problems, but the wind had the entire target line dancing the conga.  After our second QDAQT a quick but violent thunderstorm cooled the temperatures about 20 degrees and gave us a short but torrential "cold" shower.  No riflemen today, but hopefully tomorrow will change that.

Great bunch of shooters, with a lot of dads and daughters, and dads and sons.  Everybody seemed to enjoy the 3 Strikes with great appreciation.  Numerous very positive comments about the value of the marksmanship instruction from some experienced shooters.

We're all looking forward to tomorrow.  Will be back later with more details of this great Appleseed weekend.

Dick
"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

paco

This was our first Appleseed event and I'd like to be first to thank Dick, John, Anna, and Seth for their hard work in making this a great experience for my son and me. We both improved tremendously. No rifleman but did shoot a 192 so getting closer. Nathanael shot an 86 -- real good for a new shooter.

Mark and Nathanael

Johnnyappleseed

Hi Dick,
Nice to see you furthering the cause of liberty  O0
Florida rocks ! and even more so with you doing an Appleseed there  ;D
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

colycat

Paco,(Mark),

192 is whats called knocking on the door.  You are almost there, but the hardest part is yet to come.

Persistence,  a Rifleman persist in ever endeavor they take on, and shooting expert is the easiest of a Rifleman's task.

We have a country to save and preserve.  That's the hard part of being a Rifleman.

Thank you for being part of our family of Rifleman :)
"These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the service of their country; but he that stands it now, deserves the love and thanks of man and woman. Tyranny, like hell, is not easily conquered; yet we have this consolation with us, that the harder the conflict, the more glorious the triumph. What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives everything its value."   T Paine

TomM1Thumb

Thank You fellow Instructors, for Stepping Up and Teaching this Venue, As a result the Florida Instructors Who normally run this event, Got a chance to learn much about the Correct way to Teach an Appleseed Event, and enjoy the Company of Our far flung Brothers and Sisters of the Blue, Orange Red, and Green Hats. It made for a Fine Weekend! Again Thank You All. God Bless!

Tom
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

airplanejoe

I echo the remarks posted by TomM1Thumb. I, along with 16 other riflemen, was one of the attendees to the Palatka, FL IBC. The quality of events in Florida should now go through the roof!! Thanks again!!

Airplanejoe

pikid89

I too want to give a shout out to the crew that ran Myakka this weekend.  You guys stepping up and covering this event allowed the me and the rest of the Florida crew to get to the IBC.  We can't thank you enough.

Tyler

Sly223

OL'Fudd,Thank you so very much Sir, :bow:
For answering the call to duty, O0
You are like a fine wine,your value to this program,
aside from affording all of us this incredible opportunity to improve our core,is immeasurable,Clutch play.
I look forward to our paths crossing on the trail yet again! ..:..
Also, to the Backbone and the Glue,that performed the duties, ;)
Seth, John, Anna,I do not know you personally yet; :slap:Unless; :shootself:If you are of The 9 happy kidz clan, your Sacrifice afforded us all an opportunity for improvement measured only in leaps and bounds,
not only individual but positive impact to the program and abroad.
I also since becoming a Rifleman, like to repay the debts and sacrifices others have made for me in the program even if forwarded,So ,Dick and Crew if there is anything I can do for you,contact me we can find a way and a solution. ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

douglas34474

+1 with the Thank You to OL'Fudd, Seth, John and Anna for helping out so we could attend the IBC.  O0

We had a great weekend and it was all because  of your help.  :bow:

Thank You again,

Douglas

DeadEyeRed

^:)^ Great Job Ol Fudd !! Thank you for stepping up to support our Lady Liberty. we appreciate your help. The Florida crew got a chance to become stronger teachers because of YOU. Know that you are appreciated !!!! I can only hope to one day return the help. I saw no rifleman, but I know there was much improvement. and above all else... OUR stories  are now among the minds and hearts of all who attended at both events.
IBC Palatka 3/31/2012
Rifleman St Augustine, FL 3/10/2012

oldfudd

Thanks for all the above kind comments.  It took the combined efforts of fellow Georgians John, his daughter Anna, son Seth, and even his youngest daughter Leah (Blue Hat) to make the event successful.  Thanks so very much guys.

Sunday was a fantastic day.  All the shooters from Saturday who were scheduled for Sunday showed up sore but outrageously enthusiastic.  I even had the opportunity to see some friends from a prior Myakka City AS show up to fill out the firing line.  Although we certainly worked the AQTs hard, we were only successful in a number of our shooters being able to knock at the door.  It certainly wasn't for lack of trying, however.  It seems that it just wasn't in the cards for any Rifleman's scores.  Even though they all had the 6 Steps, Steady Hold Factors and NPOA points down cold, it just didn't happen. However at the end of the day I was assured numerous times that it WOULD happen at the next Appleseed.

It was really gratifying for me to see the enthusiasm and interest all our shooters had for the history, and to learn what our forefathers had done to give us our Liberty.  We had the 3 Strikes on Saturday, and on Sunday John gave a great presentation on the Philosophy of Liberty.  Even Anna had a enchanting story of the bravery of one of our Dangerous (young) Women of the Revolutionary War.  At the end on Sunday we also heard additional stories of other dangerous old men and women.

I believe at the end of this Appleseed we had all become good friends who shared common interests in our Country.  We were all dog tired but still hated to see the end of the weekend arrive.  I look forward to seeing my new and old friends again at a future Appleseed.

Dick

"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

franklinfarmer

It was a pleasure to meet and work with all you shooters in Myakka City.  Keep up the good work, and remember that a rifleman leaves things better than he found them.  Your means for doing that might be instructing with the Appleseed Program or something else, but you need to find a way to leave a better situation for the next generation.

Think hard and practice.
==========================================
==========================================

oldfudd,

As always, it was a pleasure to work with you.

ff
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce

panhead

howdy

"Thanks" sounds so weak when trying to express gratitude for the great service you have done for our state and region. I appreciate all you did for us and the large inconvenience you put up with to further the cause. Especially the understanding and support of your families. I am humbled. I am in your debt.

pan
But, the price they paid to win us our liberty? Few of us can comprehend it. Even fewer of us would want - or even be willing - to pay it. But all of us should know - at least - about it.

Never forget. Just to remember, is to honor.  -Fred

jazcat

This was my first Appleseed and I am so happy I attended. Thanks to oldfudd, Franklin Farmer, Anna, Seth and Leah for amazing instruction, fascinating history and keeping us focused on why we were there. I learned so much, both about history and also about shooting.

The best part, when I got home my sister asked me where I had gone. When I told her she said she would love to attend with a couple of her kids the next time we go. This is great and we are trying to work out a good weekend since she lives down in South Florida. Also trying to figure out who we can borrow a couple 22 LRs from for the course for them. But we will make it one way or another.

Thanks again and I am certain I will see you all at another shoot soon.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

Sly223

Jazcat,
Awsome Avitar,glad you enjoyed your first AS event, Ol'fudd is a great man all around and a solid mentor for me as well as multitudes of others since he constantly travels the country saving the bacon of this proram in the out lying fledgling, venues. Has a level of professionalism that is so infectious as to sooth the nerves of the greenest of iit's,and shooters.
BTW about securing a rifle for the next event, if you can great if not,Most instructors bring what they have to loan,99.9% chance I will be there if you come back to either of the Myakka venues and I will have at least three loaner rifles.
See ya on the trail remember your dry fire practice even if only with the trigger training devise.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

oldfudd

Jacki -- what Sly223 says about loaner rifles is true,  but if your sister brings her kids and wants to be assured of having loaner 22s available, I suggest that she (you) contact in advance the shoot boss or one of the red hats who have signed up for the event and tell them of her need.  This way the instructors will go out of their way to make sure the equipment is ready and waiting.

If you're not certain who to contact, I suggest you contact either Phenry or Sly223.  If they're not going to be at the event, they will know who to contact.

Your comments are greatly appreciated, since you and Charley obviously already had a lot of good knowledge and marksmanship experience when you arrived on Saturday.

I hope we meet again on the Appleseed "trail" where it wouldn't surprise me at all to see you wearing a "hat".

Dick

~ Patrick Henry

jazcat

Sly223, yeah, I love my avatar too. Yes, that is me. Yes, that is a wild Mama Cheetah (we are in Tanzania). And no, there isn't any glass in the hatch of the Land Rover. An amazing experience.

oldfudd, that is great news about the loaner 22s. As soon as we pick a date I will be sure to contact the shoot boss to see what can be worked out.
"An armed society is a polite society. Manners are good when one may have to back up his acts with his life."
Robert A. Heinlein

Sly223

There are nine events at Myakka between the MGAR and RCR ranges.
I will be there for all of them and will bring loaners and have instructed the other instructors to do the same! ..:..
Let equiptment, not be an excuse, or a reason not to attend. :~ :---
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!

paulwoods

Hey oldfudd,  I had a great time Sat and Sun.  I learned a great deal from you, John, Anna and Seth.  I want to especially thank you for the loan of your Remington and special help.  Sorry I had to leave early.  Did you happen to find a gold Cross pen on the prep table?  I seem to have misplaced mine.

oldfudd

Paul -- I haven't found a gold Cross pen, but I still haven't cleaned out all my "stuff" boxes from the shoot.  If I find it I'll either call (I've got your card) or PM (Personal Message) you for your address and send it back.  If anybody finds it, please contact Paul directly to get it back to him.

As I said above, at this particular shoot I felt an affinity with all the shooters that was exceptional.  It seemed to be more friendship rather than just an instructor/shooter connection.  Hope you'll continue Appleseeds.  If you decide to buy a 22, and have any questions that I might be able to help you out on, feel free to contact me via PM (oldfudd).

Hope to see you again "on the trail".  Take care.

Dick
~ Patrick Henry