News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Kingman, AZ - March 24-25, 2012

Started by azmule, March 27, 2012, 10:02:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

azmule

The 7 Mile Hill Range in Kingman is a great venue for Appleseed, with a really nice (up to) 1000yd range available for Sunday KD; and Kingman is probably the best Appleseed to attend if your intent is to work on your wind doping - because there's usually no shortage of the stuff.   **) 

It was sunny and warm (but still early enough in the year to not be "Arizona hot") on Saturday, with 6 eager shooters ready to go.  Rounding out the instructor team with me were 2 of Nevada's finest, RangeRat and Persistent_1.  After a quick welcome and safety briefing, rifles were moved to the line and we hit the ground running.  The famous Kingman wind was kind to us on Saturday, light enough to not get in the way of the marksmanship instruction and drills, and light enough to not make us shout the telling of the history of April 19th, 1775 during our lunch break.

That kindness was not to extend to Sunday however - by mid-morning I had to take down the Betsy Ross Flag when I noticed that the force of the wind was already tearing the grommets out of the fabric.  It was at that point that we split the line with me taking a couple shooters to the KD range and RangeRat continuing to work with two persistent shooters on the fundamentals line.  Lunch break included a discussion of Lamson's Alarm Listers, Mother Batherick, Samuel Whittemore, Hezekiah Wyman, Prudence Wright, and Elizabeth Zane.  And our weekend's new Rifleman Hartley treated us to a riveting bit of RW history of his own - I don't mean to be pushy or anything, but all instructors present thought that Hartley would make a real fine Appleseed Instructor.   :cool2:

Kingman folks - this is your thread!  Post your pictures and comments...   :pop:
Talk is cheap because the supply exceeds the demand.

Do or do not - there is no "try."'  -Yoda

jodanc

My nephew and I attended the Kingman Appleseed Shoot this past weekend. I had not shot in many years and my nephew is a young boy, not knowing much more than shoot at the target and hope for the best.
The Seven Mile Range has the perfect atmosphere so we took advantage of the primitive camping and made a weekend out of it, learning to shoot Appleseed theory, and discussing what we each learned about American Revolution history. On Saturday we learned all the fundamentals of the 6 steps to shooting that Appleseed teaches. His score more than tripled by the second day even in the Wind!
On the way home he said it was hard work and he finally admitted to being tired, but he said it was worth it, "Can we do it again?" I think the best part was after we got home while he talked to his Uncle, the first thing he talked about was the safety he had learned. I was so proud of him. That was worth more than anything the weekend could have offered.
Thank you, Azmule, RangeRat, and Persistence-1 and Hartley for all your time, patience, and respectable Appleseed Shoot. As a woman with a young boy I could not have asked for more.
My only regret is that I did not get any pictures so if any of you have one of him could you please send.

Hartley

Hi Y'all,

Well, I only took a few pictures, and I didn't get one of your nephew - but I am sure that RangeRat did.  I did get one of RangeRat doing the check-in dance (always interesting with the wind!)

And I caught Jody counting up her AQT score.. :)

And, while I didn't take it, RangeRat took this one with my camera - Rifleman at last!

I'm glad to hear AZMule made it home OK - it was sure windy on the highway going home.. and lots of traffic headed back to Phoenix & Tucson from Las Vegas.

I waited until Monday morning, but I think I scraped a half-pound of Mojave Country out of my Garand - man, was it dusty!  But the ol' girl was working fine - I'm sure it and it's sisters have endured far worse.

Even with the wind, I had a great time - interesting and friendly people and as always, great subjects to talk about and work on.  I wish I wasn't missing the great events in April! 

Hartley

RangeRat

We had a great time supporting AZMule at Kingman this weekend and meeting new folks.  I'm going to rethink my packing strategy; AZMule can fit a whole shoot on the back of a motorcycle and I'm still at the Suburban stage ???

We were a bit concerned about all the longhorns present but we didn't have any problems in our bay thankfully.  It was a pleasure instructing Chuck, Jody, Greg, Hartley, Rick and Cassandra.  They absorbed the instruction and put it to effective use immediately.   Rick and Casssandra could only stay for Saturday and they improved throughout the day.  Chuck's fundamentals were good but the EoTech was holding him back.  Jody, who'd previously shot competetive black powder, showed her stuff and hung in there until her elbows were raw.  Greg improved all weekend and shot everything we had.  And then there was Hartley.... Came out on fire and got his patch right away.  Then he started with the Garand and headed off to the KD range only to be blown off it.

I hope our paths cross again.

Now on to the pics for your viewing pleasure:

AZRedhawk44

AZMule is impressive when he fits all the shoot supplies on the back of his motorcycle... gotta admit.

Both slinged_in and I joined the motorcycle fraternity in the last month as gas prices have steadily climbed (both of us have gas-sucking trucks as well for our Appleseed/outdoorsman pasttimes), and you'll probably start seeing more and more motorcycles appearing at 'Seeds, especially when we get small cargo trailers rigged up for them.

6 shooters and 1 Rifleman?  Well done, Kingman folks!  Congrats!  Good to hear the KD range out there is getting a workout.

Hartley:  we have plenty of work for you to help us with, and a fancy orange hat waiting for you if you're up for a challenge... :cool2:

slinged_in

Looked like a fantastic shoot!  Great work to all of those who worked hard to make it happen -

Colton