News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Smyrna, Tn March 24 - 25

Started by Ramblin' Wreck, March 26, 2012, 11:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ramblin' Wreck

This was the inaugural 2012 event in Smyrna range at the TNNational Guard range.  Although the  turnout didn't come close to filling up this monster covered shoot line, we had  a great group of shooters and some of the most dedicated instructors I've everworked with.

Because it's on a military facility we are required toconvoy to the range from a parking lot near the front gate. Thanks to the  dedication of our boots-on-the-ground, SGT Dave Watrous (formerly WK2 on theforum but renamed "SuperDave#2" on Sunday morning by the SBIT), we got straight  to business as he had the range set up when our convoy arrived.

We had one new shooter who had never fired a rifle and  before Brittany B had to leave early on day one, she was shooting groups you  could cover with your hand. Huzzah, Brittany! This was her dad Jeff's second  Appleseed and he's committed to getting that Rifleman patch.

Aside from a brief deluge and temperature drop of about 15  degrees during the day on Saturday, the weather was near perfect for shooting  the whole weekend. Since we were shooting from underneath a monster covered  line AND a covered target area the rain didn't slow us down.

John P pulled out the big gun, his AR, on Sunday, aftershooting his .22 all day Saturday and shot in the high 190's by the end of the  day Sunday.
Mike G. got to see his grandson, 16 year old Michael A.shoot well enough to earn his Rifleman patch. Michael has put everyone on  notice that he'll be at an upcoming Appleseed to shoot again and ask for an  orange hat. He'll be part of the future of Appleseed and will make a great  instructor.

All the shooters made great improvement from the firstRedcoat on Saturday and all were within striking distance of a 210 by the last  Redcoat on Sunday. Keep dry firing, folks.

Kudos to the great Tennessee instructor crew of Runnfree, BigGear, and Applecore volunteer SuperDave#2 (formerly WK2) for making my first event as SBIT such an  enjoyable experience and to DrJohn for mentoring me through the shoot.

Pictures will follow as soon as our designated cameraman,Big Gear, can post a few. Thanks in advance Bill.
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

DrJohn

I'll second what Ramblinwreck said, that we had a fine 2012 inaugural event at Smyrna, that the weather was near perfect except for a bit of rain Saturday, and that we had a great group of students. Everyone showed much improvement and everyone is well capable of shooting Rifleman. Had it not been for the inevitable fatigue setting in Sunday afternoon, we might we might well have had another Rifleman or two. Our gallant students were persistent and showed a very commendable willingness to learn. Many thanks to the fine Tennessee Appleseed instructors who made this all happen, and here's hoping I will see everyone again soon on the "Appleseed trail".
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

RunnFree

I would like to thank Ramblinwreck and Dr John for driving up to help us Tennessee folks.  I picked up some nice pointers from these two.  Looking forward to coming down and helping in your area.

WindHawk

Just want to add my thanks to RamblinWreck, Dr. John. RunninFree, BigGear and SuperDave#2 (WK2) for their great support and teaching at Smyrna, TN this weekend.  The group was small, the instructors were dedicated and we had a great shoot.

My first Appleseed shoot but definately not my last!

Armalite

Great job to all the shooters on the big improvement over the weekend and getting within striking distance of 210. Remember a rifleman persists. Congratulations to Michael A. for earning his patch. We all look forward to seeing you take the 7Th step in Appleseed. What a great crew there in Smyrna. All of them know very well what they are about. SuperDave#2 runs one of the nicest best manicured ranges in Tennessee. Hope to see all of you on the trail very soon. Did anyone think to bring a Garand for those two GSM Master Instructors to help with?

Armalite
"When the American spirit was in its youth, the language of America was different: Liberty, sir, was the primary object." -Patrick Henry

Regular Guy

Just wanting to say thanks to all the instructors for giving up their free time to teach!
Also, I will second what everybody else said about the range. Verrry Nice!
Looking forward to the next one!

oldfudd

Ben and Dr John -- boy, you guys seem to be making up a pretty awesome team.  I'm looking forward to meeting up with you sometime this spring or summer.  Keep up the great work for Liberty.

Dick
"Have we the means of resisting disciplined armies, when our only defense, the militia is put in the hands of Congress?"
~ Patrick Henry

SuperDave#2

Here are the pictures Big_Gear took :)

I hope to see everyone back at VTS-Smyrna Range come 28-29 April 2012 for another fun filled weekend of learning and shooting :)

SuperDave#2
DAVE WATROUS
SSG, TNARNG
OPERATIONS / TRAINING NCOIC
VOLUNTEER TRAINING SITE - SMYRNA - RANGE CONTROL

Ramblin' Wreck

Thanks for posting these Superdave. I've signed up to come back up for the shoot in Smyrna on April 28. Hope to see all the Tennessee crew there who are able to make it.

"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown