News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Afton, OK March 24-25

Started by Scarecrow, March 26, 2012, 11:22:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scarecrow

After action report for Afton Oklahoma of March 24-25, 2012 is now open for anyone to post comments and pictures.
All AS shoots are good, this one was exceptional.
Ideal weather came our way after a week of spring rain.
The ground was saturated and muddy but tarps on the line kept things from becoming unbearable.
Five or more out of 16 shooters qualified or re qualified with expert scores.
The highlight of the weekend for for me came on Sunday when Beth came out with her dad.
She had never fired a rifle in her life and did not know any of the terminology like "brass", "sights", "cartridge", etc.
With in four to five hours, on the first or second ArmyQualificationTest she had already advanced to "SharpShooter" level.  O0
Later she really shined forth making serious hits with a .30 caliber battle rifle.
She will be back with her husband and daughters one day I suspect.
High score for the weekend on the AQT, 240.  ..:..

TomCat

Great weekend!
Motto of Oklahoma:  Labor Omnia Vincit-  "Hard work conquers all."

TomCat

Mud-fest pics

TomCat

Riflemen and soon-to-be Riflemen.

henschman

Yet another good time in Afton! 

It was great to see new and familiar faces alike on the line.  Everyone improved their skills over the weekend, and looked like everyone was having a good time doing it.  The mud was well worth putting up with in order to enjoy the wonderful weather -- 70s and 80s all weekend, sunny with a light breeze.  We got to hand out a lot of patches -- some to new Riflemen, some to re-confirmed ones.  Particularly impressive was the gentleman who shot a 240 on his final AQT.  Also, I agree with Scarecrow -- it was amazing how quickly Beth learned the use of the rifle, with this being the first time she ever fired a gun.  Something tells me it won't be the last! 

I want to particularly thank my fellow volunteers Scarecrow and Tomcat for standing with me on the line and helping to make this an exceptional event.  I only hope we can find more volunteers of your fine charachter, in order to keep growing the program and advancing our cause. 

Big thanks also go to Mike Nelson, owner of Excalibur Sporting Goods, who was, as always, a great host.  Without Mike, the Oklahoma Appleseed program would not be near what it is today, and there would certainly be a lot less Riflemen around!  I hope we can keep the relationship between Excalibur and Appleseed going strong for many years to come. 

If you missed out on this one, we are coming to USSA in Tulsa on April 7-8 (Easter weekend).  We also have a whole lineup of events planned all over the state throughout the year... check it out here:  http://www.appleseedinfo.org/search-states.php?filter=OK&statename=Oklahoma

See you on the firing line!
"Of liberty I would say that, in the whole plenitude of its extent, it is unobstructed action according to our will. But rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add 'within the limits of the law,' because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the right of an individual."
-- Thomas Jefferson to Isaac H. Tiffany, 1819