News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Calverton, NY March 24-25 2012

Started by CharlieHotel, March 25, 2012, 08:55:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CharlieHotel

Calverton, NY March 24-25 2012

What Can I say about the Calverton crew other than, Huzzah! I could not ask for a better crew for my first event as a Shootboss

Special, huge thanks to BigMatt definitely my goto guy, never once missed a step. Had my back both days so I could do my thing.
But everyone brought their A game and pulled this shoot together despite our Late announcement and only 2 weeks to promote.

Weather was Sunny Most of the Day Saturday (Unforeseen sunburn in the Calverton desert)

14 shooters Saturday.
10 on Sunday. (Everyone soldiered on through the rain and cold till the Bitter End.

Despite getting a late start both days due to the gates not being opened until 9:15 everyone bared with us and we managed to stay on schedule.

Many familiar faces and almost as many new ones, including a Father daughter team from Upstate. Dad (Dude) a rifleman from previous shoots and Karis who waited to bless my shoot with her first rifleman score (217) and wearing USMC on shirt and hat tah-boot (Ooh-rah!). An aspiring soon to be Marine, (Or Airman says Dad).
It was also my Privilege to present them both with shiny new Orange Hats (Thanks so much for stepping up!) and how awesome to be able to work Appleseeds together as Father and Daughter.

We did also have to repeat rifleman, Mike from our beloved LIF and Hammett who scored rifleman at my very first ever Appleseed.

I think My Call-your-shot drill/funshoot was a success!?  ??? I know it was an eye-opener for a few that thought it would be easy.

After the morning rain Heather got a fantastic fire going for lunch. She somehow makes fire hotter then everybody else I know and all were able to warm up for Rapid-fire AQT's all afternoon. This group was hard as nails and sweet as cupcakes.

Thank you all for making this seem easy!

AugustSon, I lied... The AAR is up, post those pics!

God Bless

CH is Oscah-mike...

"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

VietVet

CH you were great as SB. First time? Never would of known it.
Had total control from beginning to end.
Congrats to all involved in this event.

I have to admit it was quite "Relaxing" to be able to show up and know this Shoot was in the hands of those that were very capable of running it.
Big Matt gets bigger at every event and I don't mean in physical size but in his ability to get the shooters up to par with his entertaining way of teaching every part of the POI he's assigned. Way to go Big Guy.

CH I have to get one of those electronic devices you used for your POI.
What was it an I-Phone, I-Pad....oh I-Dont Know! But it was cool.

Well done all, well done.
                                    OUR
FOREFATHERS WOULD BE SHOOTING BY NOW!

kDan

Quote from: VietVet on March 25, 2012, 09:24:09 PM
CH I have to get one of those electronic devices you used for your POI.
What was it an I-Phone, I-Pad....oh I-Dont Know! But it was cool.

Rich, don't even try it.  It's a kindle and just a little bit more complicated than your son's digital camera.  You'll spend all morning trying to turn it on and the rest of the day holding it upside down.

Nice Work, CH!  You're a natural.  Only problem I can see with your instructor crew is you're not in it.  But talent runs deep on Long Island.  It's like Darwin's dream out there... a petri dish of isolated and neglected Patriots.  Islands eventually develop their own species of birds, lizards and sasquatches, so why not Riflemen?  Well, Long Island is sick with Appleseed Talent.  Training your replacement - a pretty easy task at Calverton. 

Congrats to the Riflemen, and props to those who stuck it out.  Next month is the big one.

O yeah, Josey Wales is hosting a Library Seed in Queens on April 17.  Queens is on Long Island you know.  So's Brooklyn.  Huzzah!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

heartlessmcfly

Had a great time this weekend and so did the misses (even though it was a little overwhelming for her). Can't wait for the next. Congrats Charlie

August Son

Congratulations CharlieHotel on a highly successful event. Not too shabby considering you put this together on a moments notice.  It was a privilege to assist on such an auspicious occasion.

Vietvet, I do want to note that this weekend was bittersweet. As excited as I am for you and your new role and responsibilities, I can't help but feel a bit nostalgic about the many good times that we have shared.  The torch has been passed and it is up to the rest of us to fill a big pair of shoes. I have no doubt that you will be a tremendous asset to the organization in your new role.

Without further ado, below are some of the photos I took. At the bottom is a link to the full album.

I think Mrs. CharlieHotel might actually be sleeping in this picture!

I really enjoy this shot. If you pay attention to the top right corner you will see Kdan and Kieran enjoying a father son moment.

One last personal observation... I brought my daughter to this weekend's event.  It was her second Appleseed and she has been asking me for months to bring her again. 

At the end of the weekend she asked me, "Dad. Do you get bored as an IIT? Don't you want to shoot?" I answered that there are times when we all have to give something back.  The more fortunate we are and the more blessed we are then the more that we should give back.  Now please forgive me if this sounds a little trumped up because this is not the observation I want to make. 

As much as I truly believe what I told her, something else occurred to me as I started to post these pictures.  I sincerely believe what I told my daughter. I believe we all have a moral obligation to give back to others. Then I think about this weekend.  Yes, I volunteered my time.  Yes, I put I in a few extra hours to post these photos. Yes, It is almost midnight and I need leave my home at 5 AM to catch a train into Manhattan for work on Monday. But I got so much more in return. I am a better marksman, I am learning to be a better instructor, I am furthering my love and proficiency at photography, I am developing rewarding relationships with an outstanding core of people and I am furthering my love for the greatest country in the world. 

I have received so much and given so little.  Forgive my sentimental moment.  I hope you enjoy the photos.  Feedback is always appreciated.  CH stopped stealing my photos and using them for your avatar. Just kidding! But if you make any money off them I expect some royalties!  Goodnight and my best wished for all of you!!!

Link to album

https://picasaweb.google.com/CraigSKeenan/CalvertonAppleseedMarch24252012?authkey=Gv1sRgCK7hkPT2i8mDwQE#

Dude

It was a great weekend at Calverton. Well run by a great crew. Hats off to each one.

Of course, being the proud Dad has to take precedence, so, I will brag . For those who need some encouragement, feel free to use the two us. My own 5 attempts before attaining rifleman, and my daughter's 7 tries before finally making the cut. [How she did it with the moisture fogging that scope is remarkable]

Now, there are a couple of Marks in upstate NY and Buzzworth up in VT, that have planted, watered , and fertilized the Appleseed "seeds" if you will for several years, who can certainly share in this "harvest", even though it was Charlie Hotel and the LI Crew plucking the "apples." It all goes to show what a team effort Appleseed is.

We are both very proud, yet humbled, to join the ranks of the orange hat.

HUZZAH!

PS: Had to put one in of Craig at work, since he got everyone else:

Strength and honor

Semper SOM/SOM

Every citizen should be a soldier. This was the case with the Greeks and Romans, and must be that of every free state. --Thomas Jefferson

Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty. --Thomas Jefferson

R1SGx2

Hmmmmm I see two new orange hats, a father daughter team from upstate, I think there is an IBC in Lake George this coming weekend, this is sweet, you two as MPH_Vt and many others do, have traveled great distances with this program to be on a line, thank you both.

Looks like an excellant time with is shoot. Thank you all for what you do.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

CharlieHotel

In my Haste to post the AAR before I passed out from exhaustion last night, I failed to make mention of a few important Items.

I wanted to thank VietVet for promoting the event! 14 shooters on the line with 2 weeks to promote is an accomplishment. Thanks for watching over me too. I knew you'd catch it, if i missed anything.

AugustSon and Heather did a great job running the Line. AugustSon surprised me with his ability to project his voice, (I guess because he's so even keel I've never heard him raise it).

I want give props to JoMarie for hanging in with us despite getting soaking wet. You made fantastic progress, definitely a Rifleman patch in your future.

And Kayla (seen Below in the sprone position) You are really handling yourself and your rifle well! I think your ready for a pink AR15 :-) (sorry dad)

And a big thanks to my Friend and Instigator Kdan! (always seems to know the right time to poke me with the cattle prod...)

And last but definitely most, My lovely Wife Holly(already a Rifleman). Shot 2 AQT's for the first time with her new Pink-Camo AR15 that Santa Claus Gave her for Christmas , 202 and 204...

CH

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.

LITechGuy

This was my first appleseed and it was great! A great weekend, and intense learning experience rolled into one. I'm definitely a little sore in muscles I forgot I had but it was well worth the price.  I'll be preaching the gospel of appleseed to my shooting buddies for sure. Much thanks to all the instructors, there were so many in and out this weekend I can't remember all the names, but all of your help and shared experience is much appreciated.

As I said yesterday, had I not heard with was CharlieHotel's first time as shootboss, I never would have guessed. I'll definitely be back for another round, hopefully even before next year when I can bring my eldest son with me.

Thanks again everyone!
-todd

LittleMo

Another superb Appleseed at a supportive venue with a great instructor crew! A big thank you to all the students that attended! Congratulations to the New Orange Hats!

Remember, there will be an Instructors Boot Camp this coming weekend. If they can make it which they should because a Rifleman persists, this is a great opportunity for all IITs to attend and take advantage of this training!

Gary
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

free2scour

Congrats to all involved, from CH in his first event as SB to the Instructors who made it on short notice and last but certainly not least, the well-skilled group of shooters......Sounds like it was a great weekend, beginning to end.

Hope to see you guys/gals in April!!

f2s

Father Mike

:wall: :wall: :wall:always great to shoot at appleseed events  :wall: :wb: :wb: one day .. one day ...  :wb: :wb: :wb: >:( :--- i will i will  :DH: :wb: @#$#!@$!@%$

CharlieHotel

You needed  to be there Sunday Bro... Next time..

CH