News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Manchester, TN March 24-25

Started by TN_Dadx5, March 22, 2012, 05:10:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TN_Dadx5

The Mid-TN Appleseed Instructors had been l 8) king forward to this event, the opening event of 2012.  And it did not fail to deliver.  We had most of a Boy Scout Troop (911) and three families join us on the very fine range down at Arnold Air Force Base in Manchester, TN.  A couple of the folks were experienced with rifles, but most of the students had never picked up a rifle.

We had a sellout crowd and the TN National Guard were on the adjacent ranges making instruction and getting the attention of the students not easy.  But once we got the basics and safety instruction understood we were raring to go. 

Our instruction was cut short Saturday by a couple waves of hard rain and a freak hail storm.  The temperature had been in the mid-70s for most of the day but as the rain came the mercury dropped 15-20 degrees.  We were just starting our IMC time when we notice a very big, very dark wall approaching us from the west.  We had just enough time to run up to the pavilion and finish IMC.  With the dark clouds still menacing we decided to give the 3rd Strike but 10 minutes of pea-sized hail on a metal roof made that impossible. :sos:

Our first targets showed that the group was 100 yard marksmen at best.  Shot groups were not too bad, most were better than 10 MOA (quick, how big, in inches, it that at 25 yd?).  Once we got done with all the 6 Steps to Fire the Shot, we were looking at about 6 MOA average.  Already then we expected we'd have at least two Riflemen. 

Also with us was a young lady trying her best using a loaner that was too heavy for her.  Allison was there with her parents and older brother.  We swapped out the heavy rifle out with a lighter one Sunday and she quickly produced a 181.  Ally, if you come to another Appleseed, I promise to lend you the same lighter rifle and I wouldn't be surprised if you break that 210.

And now, let's give three big Huzzahs!  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^ to our new Riflemen; John, Jay and Ryan (Allison's big brother).  It was a pleasure to see these young men in their Rifleman's' bubble; nothing moving except breathing and finger squeeze.

Your dedicated Appleseed Instructor crew thank you all for giving us some of your precious time and we hope what you got in return was worth it.

Now on to the pictures!  Actually I didn't get a lot of pictures, this being my second Shoot Boss in training; I didn't much time to get behind a camera.  I hope others have pics and will upload them.

Is the line ready on the right?

Is the line ready on the left?

First instruction of the day

Boy Scouts learning

Our intrepid IITs Shawn & Stacy

Getting ready

"A nation of well informed men who have been taught to know and prize the rights which God has given them cannot be enslaved. It is in the region of ignorance that tyranny begins." Benjamin Franklin
Visit and "Like" the TN Facebook page
https://www.facebook.com/#!/Tennesse.Project.Appleseed

Go_Vols!

It was a great Appleseed even with the rain and sleet. All the Shooters left with smiles on their faces and a new message to take to their friends and family.
Here are a few photos I would like to share.
I pledge allegiance to our Republic, one nation, under God with LIBERTY and justice for ALL!!!

John Adams  "Posterity! You will never know how much it cost the present Generation to preserve your Freedom! I hope you will make good use of it. If you do not, I shall repent in Heaven, that I ever took half the Pains to preserve it."

Armalite

This was a wonderful shoot and a perfect weekend for marksmanship and history. It was a pleasure having a full line of eager participants and the first half of troop 911 with us. Can't wait until the other half of troop 911 gets here. It will take some pretty good marksmanship to surpass this first group but I am sure the Scout Master will have them well prepared. The troop leaders can be very proud of these fine young Americans as I know all of us are. A big congratulations to Jay, John and Ryan who all earned thier rifleman patch. Great shooting guys and well earned. So many of you were very close. Remember to work on the six steps at home and to SAFELY dry fire. Hope to see all of you again on the line and congratulations to all of you. Great job.
"When the American spirit was in its youth, the language of America was different: Liberty, sir, was the primary object." -Patrick Henry