News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Azusa, CA 17-18 March 2012

Started by Rocket Man, March 20, 2012, 03:30:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

If there was ever a California shoot that deserved to be called a "Winterseed," this was the one.  For a week ahead of time the forecast had mentioned something about a "winter storm," but we went ahead and tried it anyway.  Six of California's finest came out to shoot with us at Burro Canyon.  No sunshine patriots here!   ;)

On Saturday, the storm delivered.   :o   It started out merely wet, but unfortunately just before lunch the wind reached unsafe levels and we had to call it.  Not, alas, in time to save our pop-up canopies.   $$-0  It's too bad, because even through the rain and wind everyone was shooting very, very well.  On a clear day I'd have handed out several Rifleman patches.

Following this we regrouped over a warm cup of coffee in town, where we talked through the finer points of marksmanship -- it's better to see it and do it than to just talk about it, but every little bit helps -- and to review our heritage.  Like why it's so important, and so illuminating, to exercise our freedoms.  I'd rather face a hundred storms than the trials our Founders had to deal with, but they prevailed, and so will we.

We headed back on Sunday to try it again, and while the weather was nowhere near what I'd call "decent," it was manageable.  The winds were mostly gone leaving us with rain and even snow, but we can handle that.  Would you believe it?  Snow on an Appleseed, in Los Angeles County??  Yes indeed, my friends.

Sunday we had two folks  return who just couldn't get enough, the redoubtable David and Tigran, and they progressed magnificently.  Didn't quite make it to the Rifleman score today, not with rain and hail and misfires a-plenty, but they both scored darn close to it.  191 and 197, I think, were their final scores.  Not Too Shabby.   ;D

My extra thanks to Instructors Rick, who witnessed the maelstrom on Saturday, and Jacob, who slogged through the muck and cold all day on Sunday.  Also my congrats to Sam who's joined up for reals, even though he now knows first hand just what he's in for as a new Orange Hat. 

And my GREAT thanks to those who came out in the worst weather yet, kept it safe, kept it fun, and made it all worthwhile.  Were it not for my soaking boots I'd have barely noticed the bitter weather. 

I hope to see you all when we try it again next month, on April 21-22.  It'll  be MUCH nicer, trust me! 
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

I got off a few pictures before my camera fizzled.  PM me if you want a high-resolution copy.

Believe it or not, it was drier under the canopies.  For a while, at least.  Despite that I didn't hear any grumbling.  Our students stuck it out to the bitter end.

Everyone pitches in to help shore up our targets.  Any later and we'd have needed a canoe!   ;D

Ah, but Sunday wasn't so bad.  A little snow on the hills, the cold fresh air, nice to be outside and not blowing away

Lake Appleseed had receded enough that we had our taget line back

David and Tigran work on ball 'n dummy drills

Tigran sights in for Stage 2 of the AQT.  That's not confetti, by the way, it's hail. 

David works on his seated position.  You don't see too many folks at the public ranges doing this, but it's extremely useful.

Here's an AQT melting in the rain.  Pretty darn good shooting, though.  Easily within striking range of that Rifleman patch. 
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

InBox485

I was only able to stay Saturday, but it was good while it lasted. Laying in 2" of water I was shooting better than I was at the end of the last Saturday I attended. Crossing my fingers for next time.

Also, attached is the 5' / 10' dry fire target I had mentioned.

Rocket Man

Business card sized, right? 

Boy, these tired eyes get dizzy just thinking about it...  Any way to practice safely at home helps, though.  Thanks!

Foppish Dandy

Wouldn't have missed this one for the world! Short of the safety issues with the canopies, I love shoots like that... gives you a real story and a very small glimpse of what our forefathers fought through. Wish I could've made it out for the second day... thanks again Rocket Man!

Sam/FD
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

Snakeinthegrass

Thank you very much Rocketman, Rick, and Jacob for the work you put into making this Appleseed work despite the weather. I'm very much looking forward to the next Appleseed  :)

- Tigran

Rocket Man

Hey Tigran!  Thanks for checking in.

With a little practice in the meantime, you should easily be capable of a Rifleman score next trip out.  The rain and cold alone knock off a dozen points easy...

Should be a good crew for Patriot's Weekend on April 21-22 -- Jacob will be back, Robert's joining us, Pat should be back, maybe a couple more.  It'll be a great weekend.