News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Lake Jackson, TX March 17-18, 2012 AAR

Started by Sir Not Appearing In This Film, March 19, 2012, 10:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

On March 17-18, 2012 We had another successful Appleseed at the great Greenwood Gun Club near Lake Jackson, TX. This was our first "regular" Appleseed at Greenwood.

We were on a range that didn't have a target board provision, so the Appleseed Engineering team and the Greenwood Engineering team assembled a target line on Friday so that we could get started early Saturday.

We started off with 19 shooters on Saturday. Many shooters were members of the Greenwood club, but some were not. There were also Houston area shooters present. A few were on their 2nd, 3rd or 4th Appleseed. There were also some shooters who had never shot a rifle before.

Sleepy Joe called the line Saturday AM. Dragit and TwoWolves - who often are at Fredericksburg, TX shoots - helped run the line and instruct throughout the day and dragit called the line in the afternoon. Joe told 1st strike, dragit told the 2nd Strike and I told the 3rd. A $5 lunch benefiting the local 4H was offered and most shooters took advantage of it.

We stayed pretty busy at first - I didn't take any pictures until the ball and dummy drill. We ran a little late on Saturday, but the shooters persisted.

Sunday we had 15 shooters - that included two walk-ons. Dragit called the line in the morning and I called it in the afternoon (for the most part).  ;)

We surveyed the shooters at 5:00pm - some wanted to shoot another AQT, some were ready to call it a day. We had the shooters shoot the last Hits Count target, then allowed those that were done to remove their targets and put away their rifles. Then the remaining shooters shot the last AQT. I'm glad we let them persist.

Jim made Rifleman with a 218 on the last AQT Sunday. This was his 4th Appleseed.

After awarding Jim his patch we called it a day. It was a great shoot with a great group of shooters.

I want to thank roundsandroses for her friendly diligence in getting this event on the schedule at Greenwood and for her effort with the hospitality and food. Thanks as well to dragit and Two Wolves for making the drive to help out and thanks to sleepy Joe for bearing some flak from the better half for working an Appleseed Saturday on his 25th wedding anniversary weekend (hopefully his better half likes the anniversary present I suggested).

Until we meet again - DRY-FIRE!    :---
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

PatriotDad

Had a great time.  I continue to be impressed with the instructor's care and attention to all students.  I brought 2 of my children with me who have very little experience and Steve and Tommy both took time to help them with some basics so that they could put some holes in the paper.  That they are able to do this in between helping former Marines and is a tribute to their humility and diligence to their mission. 

My first Appleseed event last year was an introdcution to the concept of a structured way to shoot.  This time, I had several "Aha!" moments when I began to realize what they meant by NPOA.  Also I realized that while acknowledging them, I was not ACTUALLY using several of the Steady Hold Factors.  It was very pleasing to see my shot groupings get closer toward the end of the weekend.  It was a cruel tease for Steve to use the Rifleman's badge during the "carding" exercise.  So close... and yet so far! 

I plan on going to several more Appleseed events in the next few months if I can make my schedule work out.  Thanks guys for a great event!

txeagle361

It was a great event.  Very well managed by Steve, Tommy and Rodger.  Learned a lot and learned a lot that I'd forgotten.

Ready for my next one (with some practice, of course)

And another Monty Python fan to boot....

Pining for the fjords

TxEagle

Two Wolves

As Tommy and I made our way through the dead of night into deep South Texas, I ask Tommy, I wonder what these people do down here?  ++)  Well, I got my answer the next morning.  They shoot!  :~ We woke up (after sleeping in the back of the suburban)  :)) to find ourselves at the beautiful Greenwood Gun Club in Lake Jackson, Texas.  O0 They have 2,100 members! While we were working with the patriots that came out to hone their marksmanship skills and hear the stories of that fateful day, there was a NRA high power match taking place. The telling of the stories with the back drop of large caliber rifles being shot gives an eerie realism.  :---

It was certainly my pleasure to meet all of you.  :) After much persistence and four Appleseeds, Jim became our newest rifleman.   ^:)^ Congratulations Jim!

A special hello to Hanna and Travis.  8) These young patriots were polite, enthusiastic and a joy to be around. Ask Travis what the four safety rules are--he knows them.  !@#)

Then there was the food!  O0 Thank you Cathy, Tom, Dylan (a future Marine  :~ ) and Coy for your hospitality.

Thanks again, yours in liberty, Two Wolves.

p.s. Snaitf, Sleepy Joe and Dragit   ~~:) - great job!

Pictures?  :pop:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Two Wolves

More pictures--- :pop:
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Two Wolves

More--- :DH:

RoundsandRoses

Thanks so much to everyone that made our event this past weekend completely awesome!  ^:)^ Thanks to SNAITF, Sleepy Joe, Dragit, Two Wolves, and to everyone who attended - and thanks for posting the pics, Two Wolves.  Greenwood Gun Club in Lake Jackson was proud to have you - can't wait until the next one! :)

Threehorse

I'd like to thank Steve, Joe, Tommy and Rodger for their sacrifice of time and effort. They added to the fun of yet another Appleseed. Besides getting to shoot I always look forward to the delightful instructors and other Appleseeders that I get to meet. I am especially pleased to know that I made a NEW convert. My niece who only came as an observer on Saturday morning decided joined in the shooting fun on Saturday afternoon and on Sunday. I am proud of her because I know she will help spread the word!

sleepy Joe

It was a pleasure helping such fine instructors. sorry I couldn't be there the whole time
here are some photos
By the numbers

sleepy Joe

more photos of a bunch of Americans that are exercising their constitutional right.
By the numbers

sleepy Joe

more photos
By the numbers

sleepy Joe

some more
By the numbers

Praynlady

I went to Appleseed Project at the Greenwood Gun Club to visit my 2Momma, and found myself addicted!  I totally had a great time with all the other shooters and the instructors.  The instructors not only made it interesting but I learned so much even after having been around guns my entire life!!!  I was thrilled to get the personal training and instruction that helped me aquaint myself with the rifle and it's settings and so on....  Thank you Tommy, Steve, and Roger!  I'm thinking AppleCore!!!  See yall in F'Burg soon!  :)