News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Ossian Indiana March 10-11 2012

Started by yellowhousejake, March 13, 2012, 06:19:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Why is this range empty? It's not like it isn't getting promo'd. Beautiful berm, 100+ yards, hot meals, potable water, grass not mud. It's a mystery.

WE had a great time in spite of the low turn out, or because of the low turn out. The students were on the ball and we got through five squares by 10am and went on to AQTs, seven done by the end of the day Saturday!

Sunday we spent extra time on the finer points of steady hold factors, the little things that make a difference. The mechanics of the sling and fore arm, the importance of the pocket and how it relates to your cheek weld, rifleman's cadence and how it is the key to tying the six steps into rapid fire.

Apparently everyone was listening as we saw improvement all day. Rob raised his scores by a good number of points finishing the weekend with a 236? Richard started climbing fast when NPOA began to come together. Courtlin cranks out 180 point targets like an assembly line, once she started to trust her sling and believe in her NPOA she gained over an inch in her cheek weld. Time for a scope adjustment.

We finished up the day with KD at 100 yds and battered the steel a while after a second lesson on IMC. Everyone made their adjustments and went on target first time. Check the pictures of Courtlin and you will see her notebook on the mat. She does her own IMC thank you, and makes her own adjustments to her scope. Must be why she can hit 4 MOA steel at 100 yards prone and seated. I do believe if I had a 2 MOA steel everyone would have hit it, Richard and Rob were looking bored with 4 MOA at the end.

There was a lot of steel getting hit, until Rob closed up the weekend by taking the steel down with the Garand.

Good history, beautiful weather, smiles, brass in the air, it was a wonderful weekend. Let's see if Niecie can get us some pictures!

Yellowhousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Niecie

YHJ is right on the mark! There is not a better group of folks than those who run the Ossian range! Great food and joyous laughter and GREAT Americans! Everyone should try to get out to an Ossian shoot!

Special thanks to Dave, Darrell, Rose, and Jack for organizing, promoting, and being there for us!!

Thank you to the seasoned shooters that came out to spend the weekend with us! It was great fun to watch all the learning and improvement over the course of the weekend. Also, since everyone had been to at least one Appleseed, Yellowhouse Jake expanded on the history, which was very interesting to hear. No matter how many times I hear it, I still am in awe of those that came before us and their sacrifice. 

On to pics...

See ya all soon!

Niecie

Sentinel and YHJ getting everyone ready to go...

Courtlin prepping her mags...

Getting ready...

Time for First Strike

All accounted for...

Sentinel gives a Dangerous Old Men story

Lots of AQTs

What better way to spend the weekend with Dad?

On to KD

Making adjustments

and shooting like a pro!

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding!

And one more shot....

hooky

Lots of great pictures!  Looks like a fantastic range too.

FireAxes

Wow

I just wrote a great post (really it was!) and I went to spell check it and it's gone.

Give me a little while and I'll try again.  !@#)

grunt soldier

man it's good to see courtlin out there again working it again.  she is a trooper for sure.  glad you guys had a great shoot.
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

FireAxes

Alright, trying again.

First off, N.E. Indiana, you really missed out. Great range, nice club house, hot lunches, a chance to do KD. What else can you ask for?

This was my second Appleseed and I'm glad I did it. I could have said, I already shot Rifleman, why waste my time? I would have been wrong. If you've only been to one or even two shoots, get to another one! I learned a lot at the first one. I really got to use it this time. Getting the chance to refine position and technique was extremely beneficial. It took me till the second day to find a sitting position I really liked. We won't talk too much about my love for slapping the trigger. Point is, it will always be time well spent. 
Probably just preaching to the choir here but, there maybe someone reading this is still on the fence about a first or even second shoot. You will learn something no matter your skill level.

Courtlin wasn't able to earn a patch yet. When she does, I know it will be even better because, she really had to work for it.
As per YHJ's suggestion, I took her scores from 4 different targets. I picked ones that were close in score. Not her best or worse, just similar and shot on the same day. Using the best score from one stage of each target, came out with a 222. She has the skills, just needs to tie it all together.
Hmmm.... That Yellowhousejake guy just might know what he is talking about. Maybe He just knows magic. Come to a shoot and find out.

I assure you, my previous post was much more elegant. Too bad for you I somehow deleted it.  So...

A few side notes.

I know it was mentioned moving her scope forward. I just made a mental note to take care of that. BUT, looking at her stage four scores from day 1 to day 2, there was a very noticeable drop off. I noticed at Atlanta that when I was close to the scope it changed my point of impact. I will look at her targets and see if maybe that happened.

If anyone happened to be curious. I shot all day Sunday with a suppressor. A few items to note. It did not change my zero, did not negatively affect accuracy, may have actually improved accuracy and did improve reliability.