News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RBC Ramseur 2-12!

Started by kDan, February 28, 2012, 08:09:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Big Matt

Looks like a fantastic event. Congratulations to CharlieHotel and everyone who attended.

KnowFear

Congratulations all!!! O0  I can't wait to get to the full size range here in N California. 

QuoteWhat did Fred say when he was talking to us?...  When half of all Americans are Shoot Bosses, the country will be safe and we can shut down the program.  We will have won....

Why stop with America?

Who is John Galt?

Reclaimer

2-13 souds great to me!!!

Hopefully this time I'll be smart enough to bring cold weather gear. You'd think in the middle of February I'd bring something OTHER than shorts, but no, oh no, I was too good for that.  :wall:

WhyWon

Hello everyone.

The Ramseur (2-12!) RBC was an incredible experience on my personal path to "gunlightenment".

As I shared with KDan and Lawrence, I grew up in NYC, afraid of guns -- because the only people that had them were "bad guys".  Then, about six years ago, while living in MA I "awoke", questioning the prevailing anti-gun rhetoric and reasoning.

I scoured state, CDC, and FBI crime reports and "discovered" that all was not as I was lead to believe.  Responsible citizen firearm ownership was not only possible but an important and uniquely American right that was under-attack using the tragic actions of fringe actors to justify curtailing liberty, freedom, and justice, in the name of collective security.

I soon moved to VA, viewing the recently overturned one-gun a month law as a goal versus a restriction. I began in earnest searching for a rational community of other like-minded people whose interest was not just in the technical aspects of firearms, but appreciated the soulfulness of its history in the way a martial arts school would be built around respect for core principles and ones personal self-development.

Coming to this RBC was that kind of event for me. 

I was near tears several times listening to KDan, Thaifighter, Lawrence, Iron Pony, TominCT, magloader, and others so passionately recount history, weaving thought provoking questions about parallels we face today.  I became acutely aware of the history I took for granted when I lived in many of the Boston towns mentioned, most notably two blocks from Whittemore Park in (now) Arlington, and blocks from Powder House Square, Prospect Hill, Charleston, and other areas.  As the stories we well retold, I found myself mentally visiting these places I knew with a new appreciation and context.

I was very impressed by the humility and civility of all the Red hats, IITs, and other volunteers who operated with professionalism and comradery that set the tone for the RBC.  As with any such gathering, there wil always be people who are more challenging to deal with than others, but everything was so well-handled to be safe and respectful.

I was so moved by meeting young shooters whose skill with a rifle also reflected a maturity beyond their years.  It gave me a new sense of hope about the future.

I had never used a sling and had ordered the wrong one. Without any thought, I was quickly offered the right sling and loops so as to get started on a cold Sunday afternoon.  I had built-up two rifles for this event that shot better than 1/2 MOA from a bench, so that the only variable was my performance.

I was surprised at how effective a sling could be.  It took several days to adjust and unlearn some posture and position habits to shoot with a sling. In the end, I credit KDan's chiropractic adjustment of my support leg while in prone with getting me over the Rifleman threshold; which I believe I got three times (but I am still missing one of those targets).

Aside from my focus on rifleman skills, the community of kindred "freed minds" was refreshing.  I felt like I had found "my people".  At the beginning of the week I was hesitant about signing up to be an IIT, but by week's end it became a dutiful calling, much like Paul Rivoire and his fellow New Englanders viewed their personal and community vocations (can you tell what I started reading. :) )

Aside from my own efforts, I very much enjoying meeting and learning from others successes and struggles. KDan, iron pony, Goliath, Jonathan, Lawrence, Keaton, Sonny, Toy, Sean, the Steve's, Frank, and others were a joy to meet and learn from.

In my zeal, I will confess I did err this weekend as a new IIT.  On Saturday, I observed a young teen shooter whose body language indicated that they really would have rather preferred to be elsewhere. I spent most of the day coaching this person, helping them skip some mechanics in favor of getting them to experience actual shooting.  A fellow instructor made me aware that the individual attention was causing some jealousy amongst other attendees and placing a burden on other instructors to monitor the line.  For that I apologize, and know better for the future.

The saving grace was that by day's end I asked the young teen 3 questions:

• When you got here this morning, did you have any idea you'd be shooting this well by the end of the day?  "No way," she replied.
  • Did you end up having fun? "Oh yeah!"
  • Do you think you'll come back and do this again?  "Absolutely!"

She went from 100 yards to 200 yard and hitting a headshot on the last Red Coat. I do hope she comes back and continue what started that day.

I had to leave Sunday midday to give relief to my loving, supportive, and very pregnant wife who just needed help because I had been traveling for two weeks. my thanks to iron pony and others for their sympathy  not making my departure awkward

I now live in MD, a state in dire need of unbiasing and awakening regarding 2A issues.  I've contacted BeSwift and will try to work two on the next Annapolis Appleseeds.

Regarding after-action suggestions:
I was glad I brought a cleaning rod since I had to clear a broken chamber flag from a barrel
I was glad I brought binoculars, there were put to good use by many
I learned firing a 15+ lbs Blaser Tac 2 with a sling was not one of my brighter ideas.

NRA Patron • GOA Life • SAF Life • MSI Life • VCDL • RWVA
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Ramseur, 2-12 !

CharlieHotel

QuoteAside from my focus on rifleman skills, the community of kindred "freed minds" was refreshing.  I felt like I had found "my people".  At the beginning of the week I was hesitant about signing up to be an IIT, but by week's end it became a dutiful calling, much like Paul Rivoire and his fellow New Englanders viewed their personal and community vocations (can you tell what I started reading. :) )

Welcome to our band of Brothers, Brother. I was inspired and awoken the same way at an event 18months ago and have not looked back.
Over Dinner the other night I discussed April 19th 1775 with my wife Holly. I found she had little understanding of what took place and the significance of those events today. I realized I've been 7th stepping everyone but the most important person in my life. What a feeling of failure I had. I have since told her It was important not just personally to me, but as an American, that she read and understand the REAL story of April 19th 1775. She has started.
Spread the word, Brother... I will see you on the trail.

CH
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

dragonfly

O0 O0 O0 Wish I could have been there.

D-fly   

Ramseur 2-10
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

Altarboy

This was my first RBC and will certainly not be my last. A big thanks to all the instructors and shooters for making this event a time to remember. Huzzah!
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."         -U.S Constitution  2nd amendment

BIGROB

i see alter boy is checking in...lol alot of good memories from this shoot.

stevepelle91

When Dan called and told me about this event back in January, I didn't really know what to think. I'm guessing I sounded a bit apathetic at first, when I told him I'd go. I honestly had mixed feelings about the program, what we were trying to accomplish and how I fit into it all. I would say the best way to describe my commitment to the program at that time would be a "lost cause". After spending a week at the RBC, I would say things changed for me. My initial intentions were to head to the event and tone my shooting skills before I left for Army Basic Training in April. When I left, that was changed and my commitment to the program was renewed.

Listening to the stories that Dan, Lawrence, Fred and the other Instructors told and the way they told them was truly heartwarming. There were times when I could feel myself holding back tears, as they told the stories of April 19th and of the the men who died. I've been to my share of Appleseeds before, but this one was different and that was apparent from day one. The people you meet at these events are truly unforgettable and you are surrounded by these people for a full week. You eat with them, you laugh with them and by the end you feel a connection with them that I imagine few people in today's world have felt.

I learned a lot at this event, about myself and of others. I left with a renewed sense of hope. I know that when I leave for Ft. Benning that feeling will stay with me. I really want to thank all of the Instructors that put this event together. You guys were great and I left with more than I could ever repay you.

RAMSEUR 2-12! HUZZAH!

Magloader

I have to say WhyWon, it was awesome just meeting you and talking with you.  I learned a lot from you ( like when to NOT use a sling) and it was a joy watching you work on the line with Julia, I believe it was. I cannot wait to smack into you on the trail, and I look forward to seeing WhyTwo on the line. 

But I have to ask, do you think we need to ban kDan from fixing peoples legs in the middle of a course of fire? My back still hurts.....  ;D

Stevepelle, I really need to tell you how much I appreciate what you are doing for your country. I learned a lot from you( like how to sight in and shoot a watermelon first shot :) ) You were a HUGE help at KD, as I had never done it before and come-ups was killing me.  I was impressed by all that you knew and what a fantastic shot you are. You are a wonderful patriot and the Founding Fathers would be proud to know that not all of America has forgotten what they went through for the nation.

Skeeter/Magloader

Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in Heaven.- Mathew 5:16

Jesus answered, " I am the way, truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

kDan

Steve Pelle91.  If there was one person I really needed to see at this event, it was you.  Practically built the whole thing around the idea of getting you there - no lie.  I'm proud to know you, and I know that the man I will spend time with a year from now will be a different one.  I am glad you were at this event, glad you're re-committed to the program, and while I'm pleased you shot so well and qualified at KD, I am not surprised.  When you get to basic, let your "M1 do the talking" and you will be selected for special attention I have no doubt.  Too bad you can't bring the Mosin.  I am sure your recruiter can take care of the speeding ticket...    @&)   Make sure somebody does...

WhyWon, I had a similar experience with firearms.  I distinctly remember sitting around my friend's loft in Brooklyn.  We all agreed that things looked bleak, and a few of them made comments about "heading for the hills".  Well, I sat there and thought...  You've got to be kidding.  How you gonna do that from Brooklyn?  Do you even have a sleeping bag?  And would that really help anything?  What are a bunch of hipster dudes and babes sitting around drinking craft beers and listening to RadioHead really gonna do?  Now I know there are other options.  I still have those friends, and now some of them know how to shoot and perhaps understand the ideas of personal responsibility a bit more - just like me.  Even got an Orange Hat on an architect, and a film editor talking about attending an AS in Texas after his screening at South By SouthWest.  But it's still like almost nobody realizes how important the rights we still have are; some rights are more important than others, and they are important to all Americans.  I am glad you're part of the program, and your testimony is apt.  We will be in touch. 

Altarboy, I'm glad you made it home in one piece.  Last I saw you, you were upside down and gasping for air.   :sos:  "Man, that really wasn't cool."    :( 

D-FLY - you were missed.  Maybe next time.  Remember Lawrence from 2-10?  Well, he practically ran this event.  I suspect I was there mostly to bring the New Yorkers.

BTW, that leg grab drag is classic old-school technique.  Fred did that to me, except he didn't even ask first.  It was more like, "hey what's happening?  WHERE AM I GOING?"  You see, the idea is to piss you off so much, you stop fussing the shot.  Next week, more advanced techniques, like yelling from a chair, "GET YOUR LEG UP" at whomever hears you.  Works.

Modified to say, now that I think about it...   Fred didn't pull my leg; he kicked me!
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

kDan

Hey KnowFear, that's my box of cookies on the moon!

Anybody know if Zack got a forum name yet?  Goliath?
"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Magloader

Does that mean that when next you shoot, I can kick YOUR leg? Oh sweet revenge....... >:D

Jeremy is on the forum as Goliath, and Zack is Huzzack.  My knowledge amazes even me. How is it possible for someone to be as brilliant as me?!?!?!?!?
Let your light shine before men that they may see your good deeds, and praise your Father in Heaven.- Mathew 5:16

Jesus answered, " I am the way, truth, and the light. No one comes to the Father except through me." - John 14:6

kDan

Quote from: Magloader on March 02, 2012, 12:02:47 PM
My knowledge amazes even me. How is it possible for someone to be as brilliant as me?!?!?!?!?

I have my own answer to that question, which you may be just about smart enough to figure out on your own... :P    I don't know, maybe not.

Update on 212 (the cat):

Those in the know, know... that CharlieHotel and the Reverend Father Mike started feeding a starving cat that struggled from the coyotes' grasp to leave tiny presents on Altarboy's pillow.  The poor kitty was so skinny!!!  She really did appear to be starving.  I thought I'd be a hero and take her home for my family.  Well, it ends up ol' 212 is NOT a very friendly kitty once you pull her away from the warmth of the campfire and stop feeding her cashews and tunafish.  She doesn't like cuddles as much as my daughter does, actually seems to prefer howling at a bookcase all night to snuggling.  She smells funny too apparently.  O well, what do I know?  I like dogs.

Anyway, in her defense, she seems to think something lives under the sink (so do I!), and if she can prove it, she's got a home.  If not, I'm sure magloader won't notice one more cat. 

Can you mail cats?  poke holes in the box...  put some arrows on it.

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

Magloader

LOW BLOW,LOW BLOW!!! How could you say something like that? Wait....don't answer that....

As to the cat, I bet she doesn't like smart alec New Yorkers who can't pitch tents. And there were no coyotes. AND you aren't supposed to feed cats cashews. AND she liked snuggling with me!! Must be that weird shoot boss smell.... 

I PERSONALLY wouldn't mind another cat but you KNOW how many I have right now. Kinda full up. And just you try and mail her. There is always return address. Besides. You don't know where I live. HAH!

Tomblin

I can't say enough good things about the RBC, the Appleseed project, and everyone involved. Been planning my next Appleseed event since returning home, looking forward to one of the AIBCs. I hope to see everyone involved again, sooner rather than later; it was an honor to be around such a great group (even Skeeter).

I have a couple of pictures of my own to share:

https://picasaweb.google.com/118388763683787874964/Ramseur212?authuser=0&authkey=Gv1sRgCN3BlILQtcfxeA&feat=directlink

Until next time!

Best,

Ben

Magloader

OWWWWCH  that hurt. I get it on all sides, don't I? It was alright with you too, Ben. At least, until you took the path of everyone else and decided to make the me the class clown.....   

Come down to Ky sometime! Sometime when we don't have tornado warnings all over creation!! We DEFINITELY need a 2-12 reunion!!

Magloader

In honor of CH I decided to post this =D

CharlieHotel

QuoteIn honor of CH I decided to post this =D

More like chunky hotel... ooh that should be a ben and jerry's flavor...

CH
"A good plan executed perfectly is better than a perfect plan executed poorly"

"As steel sharpens steel, so one man sharpens another"

"It's not the dope 'ON' the rifle, but the one behind it!" - Unknown PMI, Parris Island, SC 1984

So speak and so act as those who will be judged by the law of Liberty.
For Judgement comes without mercy for those who have shown no mercy, Mercy shall triumph over judgement.
James 2:12-13

WhyWon

Quote from: CharlieHotel on March 01, 2012, 10:00:21 AM
QuoteAside from my focus on rifleman skills, the community of kindred "freed minds" was refreshing.  I felt like I had found "my people".  At the beginning of the week I was hesitant about signing up to be an IIT, but by week's end it became a dutiful calling, much like Paul Rivoire and his fellow New Englanders viewed their personal and community vocations (can you tell what I started reading. :) )

Welcome to our band of Brothers, Brother. I was inspired and awoken the same way at an event 18months ago and have not looked back.
Over Dinner the other night I discussed April 19th 1775 with my wife Holly. I found she had little understanding of what took place and the significance of those events today. I realized I've been 7th stepping everyone but the most important person in my life. What a feeling of failure I had. I have since told her It was important not just personally to me, but as an American, that she read and understand the REAL story of April 19th 1775. She has started.
Spread the word, Brother... I will see you on the trail.

CH

Brother CH,

I had a similar experience tonight with my wife, who teaches AP Government.  Over dinner I was telling her about the RBC stories, what I have been reading in Fischer's book, what the Colonials risked, and the difficult choices they made.  She wasn't surprised to learn that Paul Reverie's apocryphal cry "The British are coming!" was just bad history.  As we talked, she understood better where I was coming from on 2A and related issues of liberty and freedom.

I remembered something i hadn't thought of in many years; about the NYC blackout when I was 9 years old.  That night the city went dark and quiet for a few minutes and then complete anarchy broke out.   I remember walking down 9th avenue the next day seeing burned out or trashed storefronts and cars looted everywhere.  But I distinctly remember our corner grocery store was intact and unscathed. I remember the owner, a hardworking immigrant who built up and grew that little store. I went in his store and commented that we was lucky the bad people did not damage his shop.  I was scared at the time, but he said it wasn't luck as he showed me a shotgun and pistol he kept under the counter.  I ran all the way home.  Looking back, I realize this man came to this land of opportunity and created value for himself and the community and that night decided he would be damned if anyone would take away what he worked for. The story is that he sat with lanterns on with the shotgun in his lap in his storefront window and no one dared mess with him.

I told my wife that we as a nation face a similar set of imminent domestic threats. What we see happening in Greece, Italy, etc can happen here. Addressing our national debt will likely mean enacting similar "austerity measures" that will cut deeply into basic services, including police, that will affect the livelihood and safety of every community.  If that happens, would we and our community be prepared to safeguard ourselves?

My wife said that she wasn't worried because a stranger parking in front of our house moves me to condition orange, walking out the front door with my SureFire trained on the driver, prompting them to just drive away.   :)
A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed.
Ramseur, 2-12 !

WhyWon

Quote from: Magloader on March 01, 2012, 10:39:59 PM
I have to say WhyWon, it was awesome just meeting you and talking with you.  I learned a lot from you ( like when to NOT use a sling) and it was a joy watching you work on the line with Julia, I believe it was. I cannot wait to smack into you on the trail, and I look forward to seeing WhyTwo on the line. 

But I have to ask, do you think we need to ban kDan from fixing peoples legs in the middle of a course of fire? My back still hurts.....  ;D

Stevepelle, I really need to tell you how much I appreciate what you are doing for your country. I learned a lot from you( like how to sight in and shoot a watermelon first shot :) ) You were a HUGE help at KD, as I had never done it before and come-ups was killing me.  I was impressed by all that you knew and what a fantastic shot you are. You are a wonderful patriot and the Founding Fathers would be proud to know that not all of America has forgotten what they went through for the nation.

Skeeter/Magloader

Skeeter: many thanks for the kind words. I look forward to someday soon having you see WhyToo shoot as well as you do !

Steve: ditto what skeeter said.  Be safe. And if that fails, be accurate.

KDan:  I noticed an additional credit card charge for treating "shooting pains"... was that you?
Ramseur, 2-12 !

Huzzack

What a great RBC! I had a good time shooting, but an even better time making new friends. I want to especially thank Tom in CT and the NY crew for making the trip and being ambassadors from the north! Every day it seems new horror stories come out of NJ, NY and New England and it can really make a person want to write off certain parts of the country, but you can't retreat! These guys ARE the grassroots, bringing the message of liberty to Americans in the most unlikely of places. Special thanks to these guys.
I also want to give a special thanks to Tom for loaning me his shooting mat. At the beginning I was shooting on slick carpet slightly downhill, and losing my NOPA after nearly every shot and shooting terrible scores. On his mat I shot a string of 230+ scores and my confidence rebounded! If anyone found my missing Midway USA mat from the 12/3 Mechanicsville, VA Appleseed please let me know!
I'll end with this: A week off from work, sleeping with a snoring tent mate in the cold of February, and parting with all the $ for ammo and Biscuit Company every morning wasn't easy, but I'd do it again in a heartbeat that's how good it was. I cannot recommend attending a boot camp enough. 

TOMINCT

I feel privileged to have been able to have the time to get there to meet up with a great group of shooters and instructors, to teach the meaning of why we, as a country, have been given a small chance at Liberty by the selfless dedication of our forbears. To remember them is to honor them and the best way to do so is by keeping the torch lit.

Again, it was great to meet all of you and I look forward to meeting you in the future. Tominct.
crak's battle road IBC 10-09
Ramseur 2-12!
ninsho's battle road IBC 6-13

kDan

omg - just remembered DocBoy shot a 200 at KD

SOMEBODY DUMP NORTH BRIDGE WATER ON HIS HEAD QUICK!!

"Hot dogs don't go bad"

-Scout

BIGROB

Kdan I think he shot a 209

Magloader

Quote from: BIGROB on March 05, 2012, 11:10:04 AM
Kdan I think he shot a 209

209,200. Same difference. I say dunk him anyway!!!!

WhyWon

Top 10 Things I Noticed Two Weeks After an Awesome RBC

• I regularly wake up in the prone position.
  • I turkeyneck to establish a good cheekweld with the front door before looking through peephole.
  • I've ended dangerous arguments recently by shouting "Cease Fire!" three times.
  • I now eat my breakfast cereal with a rifleman's cadence.
  • Much to the annoyance of my co-workers, I unconsciously click my pen a lot to practice my trigger squeeze.
  • I shout "Whose rifle is this?!" at neighbors' kids when I find their Nerf Guns without a chamber flag.
  • I am now highly suspect of work crews tearing up roads on bridges...
  • Mimicking me, my 4 1/2 year old son has started "calling his shots" when we play tic-tac-toe.
  • Before using a power drill recently, I closed my eyes to establish my NPOA.
  • When I type 'R-a-m-s-e-u-r', the auto-complete suggestion of '2-12 !!' appears now.
Ramseur, 2-12 !

scuzzy

Quote from: WhyWon on March 08, 2012, 05:20:55 AM

• I turkeyneck to establish a good cheekweld with the front door before looking through peephole.
  • I've ended dangerous arguments recently by shouting "Cease Fire!" three times.
  • Much to the annoyance of my co-workers, I unconsciously click my pen a lot to practice my trigger squeeze.
  • I shout "Whose rifle is this?!" at neighbors' kids when I find their Nerf Guns without a chamber flag.
  • Mimicking me, my 4 1/2 year old son has started "calling his shots" when we play tic-tac-toe.
  • When I type 'R-a-m-s-e-u-r', the auto-complete suggestion of '2-12 !!' appears now.

Thanks for the chuckle this morning! That's always a good way to start a day.  :)

An Armed Society is a polite society. Heinlein.

Magloader

Haha. I needed this WhyWon. Thank you.

Roland

When need a thread that is "You know your an Appleseeder when..."

I'll contribute, "You find 22 brass EVERYWHERE"
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec