News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bunnell, FL Feb. 18-19, 2012

Started by 9mm4545, February 20, 2012, 11:13:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

With a forecast predicting thunderstorms and rain I expected only the hardy to show up--but show up they did! Under threatening skies on Saturday morning, 15 eager students came out to partake of the fountain of marksmanship knowledge. For some reason, when students arrive early for a shoot, they are the ones who seem to excel. Such was the case at this event as well. After introductions and the requisite safety briefing, we were rapidly into the business of making marksmen. The results on the initial Redcoat target were not too surprising; improvements could be made. This group of students was better prepared than most and rifle issues were mostly non-issues. Our day started with teaching the Golden Triangle of Marksmanship: solid position, Six Steps, and NPOA. We spent some time improving positions, adjusting slings, and practicing trigger resetting and it seemed that most of our students were going to be fast learners. The groups began to shrink quite dramatically and by lunchtime we were ready to move on with new positions and a picking up of the pace. After a hot lunch of grilled burgers and hot dogs made available by volunteers from Flagler Gun and Archery Club and a chance to hear the first part of the true events of April 19th, 1775, we loosened our belts and began working on transitions and positions other than prone. Thankfully, the weather continued to be cool and overcast because the pace of instruction was blistering, but our students were eager, attentive, and willing to learn. A short break in the mid-afternoon provided the chance for Instructor Joe to talk about the incredible tale of Concord and how farmers and shopkeepers caused a professional army to break and run. Before the day was over we had managed at least two AQT's and forged a new Rifleman. Congratulations to Mike C.! After the final Redcoat target of the day, the results showed that our instructors were well paid for the day with an amazing amount of improvement from the morning's scores. The third strike was merged into the "go forth and multiply" benediction and everyone left with extra brochures to help spread the word. At the end of the day, the skies which had been gloomy and dark all day began to clear, there was still daylight left, and we still had a few who wanted to keep shooting. Well, why not? With only a couple of more AQT's, two more Riflemen emerged! Congratulations to Micah and Rob! Maybe we should have rigged up lights so that we could have kept shooting into the night... Not only were there three new Riflemen who were revealed on Saturday, there were several others who were tantalizingly close and it was apparent that it was just a matter of time for those people.

Sunday dawned with an even grimmer forecast than Saturday but again, the forecast proved to be all bark and no bite. It must have rained all around us but only a very light sprinkle was felt at the range, which did little more than settle the dust. With 13 students eager and ready, we got off to an early start and started where we left off on Saturday. After a couple of sighter groups, we started on a few drills to improve the skills needed to master the AQT: NPOA and rifleman cadence drills were two that come to mind. Even before we broke for lunch, we were shooting AQT's and doing quite well at it. After a tasty lunch, again provided by the gun club volunteers, we were treated to a demonstration by Rick H., a Revolutionary War re-enactor dressed in 18th Century clothing, who brought out both a French Charleville musket and a 50 caliber flintlock rifle. The manual of arms and loading sequence was demonstrated and a couple of hefty round lead balls were launched downrange with lots of smoke and fire. Rick is not only a rifleman re-enactor but is also a Appleseed Rifleman, having qualified at a previous event. He still has the skills as he was one of those who repeatedly shot the score on Sunday. Thank you for the demonstration and education. Now if Rick can shoot the score with a flintlock... Might have to be a bit more generous with the time limits!  During the afternoon we shot lots of AQT's and the preference seemed to gravitate towards the rapid fire AQT. Maybe it is just because you get to do more shooting in less time but for whatever reason, the scores did keep moving up and another two Riflemen were added before the day's end. Congratulations to Ryon and Ruben! After a brief talk about known distance shooting, we were able to take advantage of the 100 yard range and three of our newly created Riflemen were able to try out their hand at longer distance shooting. Sure enough, a four minute of angle group at 25 yards is still a four minute of angle group at 100 yards and our students got a chance to apply their knowledge of inches-minutes-clicks on more distant targets. During the afternoon, the front finally passed and with it came the wind--lots of wind. The target line was jumping, the canopies were straining to become airborne, and a couple of rifles almost left the county on their magic carpet shooting mats. Anything not tied down was subject to flying away. Fortunately for our KD shooters, the wind was from six o'clock and the main effect was on the shooter and not the bullet. I should mention that we did shoot a real "sweet" target during the afternoon as a friendly competition to break up the AQT Grind. Instructor Tom made up some targets consisting of a dozen small hard candies glued to a paper backer. Our shooters were formed into three teams. Upon the "fire" command they were to move to their rifles, load one magazine of 10 rounds, and break as many of the candies as they could, all within in one minute. Bonus points would be given if any of the numerous bees--which had been attracted to the sticky sweets--were included in the hits. (None were.) Teams one and three initially tied with only two targets left after round one. A runoff was done and team one emerged victorious as they cleaned their target first. I imagine that the bugs and the ants finished cleaning up the remnants after the end of the shoot. It was a sticky sweet good time. As our shooters were so good, the next time I try this sort of target I may use aspirin tablets instead. :-)

In conclusion, instead of a soggy weekend, we had a super weekend and I want to thank all our shooters and instructors for their time and efforts. Flagler Gun and Archery Club also deserves kudos for letting us use their great facility. I believe that Instructor Glenn has photos and he will be adding to this post with those.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

pikid89

What an excellent shoot.
I had an awesome time, a truly excellent facility, made even better by my fellow instructors, and of course, all who came out for some marksmanship instruction, and even more importantly, for a solid dose of American History.  Another scoop of water bailed from the ship.

Video of SB 9mm4545 firing a Charleville Musket

http://youtu.be/oiW1jjPMZ_E?hd=1

FLawyer

Photos Group 1
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

FLawyer

photos group 2
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

mac66

HUZZAH!    I see Mike got his patch and Gary wearing an Orange Hat.  O0

Looking good Florida!
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

FLawyer

Pictures, Third & Final Group

Molon Labe!

Veritas Aequitas

Bruce, found this little gem on my GoPro footage!
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
-  Aldous Huxley (1894 – 1963)

Veritas Aequitas

Sorry about that epic fail, here's the picture!
Facts do not cease to exist because they are ignored.
-  Aldous Huxley (1894 – 1963)

dragonfly

www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

9mm4545

The real question is: did he blink?
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

PHenry

QuoteFor some reason, when students arrive early for a shoot, they are the ones who seem to excel.
That's what happens when preparedness meets opportunity!

There are two things I noticed in the fine pics provided by Flawyer, well three I guess actually:
1) Panhead Joe traveled far to get a little "cross pollination" and I know with his schedule, that were difficult - nicely done sir.
2) I see at least two IITs I have yet to meet, which is most excellent, as there were a day not so long ago, when that never happened - showing the program is expanding nicely here in the Sunshine State!
3) Man, them new T's look fine!

Well done - students and instructors alike! Huzzaaaah!

In Liberty,
PHenry
Para ser Libre, un Hombre debe tener tres cosas. La Tierra, una Educacion, y un Fusil. Siempre, un Fusil!  Emiliano Zapata