News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Atanta IN, Feb 18-19 2012

Started by yellowhousejake, February 20, 2012, 10:39:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

Indiana weather, interesting this year. After weeks of temps bouncing like a presidential poll and rain hanging on way to long, we enjoyed a chilly, but pleasant weekend with mostly sunshine.

We also enjoyed spending time with fellow Americans learning about our heritage, our history, and how well we can be entrusted with what?

The safety of our neighbors,
the welfare of our families,
and our own self governance.

Such a quiet group, and attentive! Everyone soaked up the instruction well with almost no need to ever repeat a point of instruction twice. For their efforts we saw scores continue to climb all day Sunday. I have never seen a group of students so calm during transitions! Everyone was smooth and safe, and as we promised, they were starting to get all their shots off in the allotted time.

55 seconds is plenty isn't it?

We did well and ended the weekend with four Riflemen. Rob P., Rob H., Bill, and Mark all brought in the scores needed. The Robs, once holding the patch, relaxed and started driving their scores higher and higher.

We had a few working hard to get up to sharpshooter status with almost everyone finishing up the weekend with Marksman or better. Our most patient student, a model of perseverance, narrowly missed the Expert score. But Beth will be back, and when she does shoot Expert she will not wonder how she did it, she will not question what she did differently, she will know and understand exactly what is takes to reach 210. That's an advantage the "got it first time" Rifleman does not have.

O0

We all enjoyed a great weekend. I know I can speak for the instructors when i say "thank you" for spending your weekend with us.

Let's get some pictures up!

Yellowhousejake

I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

hooky

A big thanks to the blue, orange, red and green hats.  This was my second one and it was amazing how much I remembered from my first one that DaveD ran.  But now, I was finally able to put it all together thanks to some great encouragement and refresher "prodding".  And like you said, once I got the patch, I just started having fun and what was going on between my ears became a lot more sharp and focused on the little things instead of a number.

Grunt Soldier told us he was going to drag Mark and me over the line kicking and screaming, if he had to.   ~~:) O0

SirRealism

Quote from: hooky on February 20, 2012, 11:23:09 AM
A big thanks to the blue, orange, red and green hats.  This was my second one and it was amazing how much I remembered from my first one that DaveD ran.  But now, I was finally able to put it all together thanks to some great encouragement and refresher "prodding".  And like you said, once I got the patch, I just started having fun and what was going on between my ears became a lot more sharp and focused on the little things instead of a number.

Grunt Soldier told us he was going to drag Mark and me over the line kicking and screaming, if he had to.   ~~:) O0

He almost had to!

Ditto to what Hooky said. I had a wonderful time. The instruction was exceptional at every step.

philagothon

It was an absolute honor to spend my weekend with a bunch of great Americans.  You were a very attentive and focused group of students.  You absorbed and applied instruction perfectly and your improvement showed that.

As I got to know the shooters Rob H. told me that he was a repeat 'Seeder that was having a hard time pulling it all together to get across the 210 line.  I promised him we would do everything we could to drag him across the line.  We managed to drag him across with a perfect 210 before lunch on Sunday (for some reason YHJ decided to grant mercy ???).  Once the monkey was off his back he relaxed and proved that he had the skills the entire time busting out Rifleman score after Rifleman score.  Hey, Rob H. I think YHJ may have something for you.

Beth, you have the skills.  Your five square NPOA drill target is proof of it.  Don't let test anxiety get the best of you.  Find the Rifle(wo)man's bubble that you were in during the NPOA drill and you will OWN the AQT.  Congrats to Bill for shooting Rifleman at his first Appleseed, come on back, we can use you.

Tom & Kyra, it was great working with you.  You are patriots and I could see how the history was touching you.  Amanda said she saw steady improvement in your AQTs.  I look forward to seeing both of you on the line again.

Rob P. and crew, it was great to have you guys on the line.  Great shooting Rob and congratulations on making Rifleman!  Courtlin ran that 15-22 like an absolute pro (congrats on getting to ride in the front seat  ;).  Jed, thanks for your service, keep practicing and I'm sure in a few years you'll love that AR15.

Mark, you took instruction and implemented it.  Scores typically start falling Sunday afternoon.  Instead you managed to pull it all together for the last AQT and shoot a Rifleman's score (maybe it was just the absence of my barking at everyone ???).  Congratulations and I look forward to seeing you at some of our other shoots that have KD.  Keep an eye out for Atterbury shoots where you will get to shoot full distance for each stage of the AQT.

Richard, I'm sorry you couldn't make it back Saturday.  I hope your kid is doing well and that you can make it back to another Appleseed soon.

It was a privilege to spend my weekend with so many fine patriotic Americans!

Bryant

It was a great time on Saturday.  Thanks to all the "hats" for plenty of excellent, safe instruction.  Congratulations to all those that earned their patch.  I missed you all Sunday thanks to a 2yr old with the flu, but I was thinking of you while I cleaned up the "spills".  I'll be at Ossian in 3 weeks and hope to see some of the same folks there.
Also on INGO as MtnBiker6510
-----------------

hooky

Quote from: philagothon on February 20, 2012, 12:39:05 PM
It was an absolute honor to spend my weekend with a bunch of great Americans.  You were a very attentive and focused group of students.  You absorbed and applied instruction perfectly and your improvement showed that.

As I got to know the shooters Rob H. told me that he was a repeat 'Seeder that was having a hard time pulling it all together to get across the 210 line.  I promised him we would do everything we could to drag him across the line.  We managed to drag him across with a perfect 210 before lunch on Sunday (for some reason YHJ decided to grant mercy ???).  Once the monkey was off his back he relaxed and proved that he had the skills the entire time busting out Rifleman score after Rifleman score.  Hey, Rob H. I think YHJ may have something for you.

A replacement scope for the one that gave up it's only reticle so that the mercy shown to me at 35 degrees wasn't in vain?   :'(  YHJ and I had just talked about that particular make and model of scope being built like a tank for the price and on the 3rd string of the next AQT, the cross hair ceased to be a cross hair. ;D

Looking back on this weekend, I'd have to say that the carding exercise Saturday was the difference.  That little bit of extra time you spent with me reinforcing steady hold factors in prone and tweaking my position was invaluable.  I really appreciate what you did there.

grunt soldier

it was a great weekend, good weather (I like it chilly), good shooters, good history and lots of nice people. 

mark and rob you guys did a great job and both earned that patch.  hopefully I'll see you guys on the line again soon.

beth you will get that patch for sure.  you shot 208's and 209's all day long.  your knocking on that proverbial door and I bet at the next one you bust it down.

I was super impressed by courtlin (10 y/o) who shot a 213.  she was monopoding off the mp15 mag but was doing amazing on the steps.   she had a blast and I definitely hope she comes to some more.  also was one of the most saftey concious kids I have seen.  always paying attetion making sure she was doing the right thing. 

custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

http://s967.photobucket.com/albums/ae158/gruntsoldier2/

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

SirRealism

Quote from: philagothon on February 20, 2012, 12:39:05 PM
Mark, you took instruction and implemented it.  Scores typically start falling Sunday afternoon.  Instead you managed to pull it all together for the last AQT and shoot a Rifleman's score (maybe it was just the absence of my barking at everyone ???).  Congratulations and I look forward to seeing you at some of our other shoots that have KD.  Keep an eye out for Atterbury shoots where you will get to shoot full distance for each stage of the AQT.

I think I overheard a conversation between the instructors about the "barking" during AQTs. ;)  Ha ha. I didn't find it to be a distraction; sometimes I need to hear something 10x before I can repeat it. But yeah, I think I poked my head inside the bubble on the last AQT, and that was pretty cool.

When I got home, I pulled out Sunday's AQTs in the order we did them and was pleased to see that it was in perfect order from lowest score to highest. So I definitely benefited from the continuing instruction and from the "test-taking" experience... especially on how to finish rounds 2 and 3 without 5 rounds in the mag.   ;D

Honestly, one of the most difficult things for me was trying to count rounds on each target (ADD, I believe). I can barely manage to count stoplights when given driving directions. (Ask hooky about that.)

Looking forward to seeing pix.

SirRealism

Quote from: grunt soldier on February 20, 2012, 04:00:02 PM
mark and rob you guys did a great job and both earned that patch.  hopefully I'll see you guys on the line again soon.

Thanks. Yeah, I'll definitely be back.

Quote from: grunt soldier on February 20, 2012, 04:00:02 PM
I was super impressed by courtlin (10 y/o) who shot at 213.  she was monopoding off the mp15 mag but was doing amazing on the steps.   she had a blast and I definitely hope she comes to some more.  also was one of the most saftey concious kids I have seen.  always paying attetion making sure she was doing the right thing.

No kidding. That was really cool to see. Someone's doing some good parenting.

FireAxes

Wow, I don't know where to begin.

I guess I'll start with thanking the Instructors and Shoot Boss. Thank you for sharing your time and experience. This was my first Appleseed (I'm Rob P) and it was one to remember. Very busy weekend with lots to do and you kept it flowing, without it becoming overwhelming.

My Daughter had a great time.
She is already planning on us coming to another one. She was checking my work schedule against the upcoming shoot dates.   :---
She's ready to work extra hard to earn a Rifleman patch, Her words!

I'm guessing we will be seeing some of you again very soon.

yellowhousejake

That young lady is welcome on my line anytime! She was a joy to have. Now I need to find a 3 lb rifle with a short mag and a small pistol grip...

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

spitfire51

Courtlin is going to end up one heck of a shooter if she keeps working as hard as she did this weekend.  And I was even more impressed by how safety conscious she was, great job on her part.  Overall it was a wonderful couple of days.  All our shooters made wonderful progress very quickly.  Congrats to our new riflemen, and those who aren't quite there yet know what they have to do to get over the hump.  Keep practicing and keep your spirits up!

Can't wait to see everyone out there on the line again.  Bring your friends and family with you next time!
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

Indyfly

Thanks to all who put on the HAT; Kyra struggled a LOT on Saturday with a spanking new rifle and REDDOT, but she came away with the ability to ZERO a scope in 5X5's. 
I had a good start on a loaner 10/22 Saturday; then tried my Romy AK Sunday and almost lost my marbles trying to secure a solid NPOA.  The encouragement worked on my last AQT and if I hadn't missed 8 shots on my transition to sitting round cause of magazine failure.......ARGGGGHHHHH
I posted 191 with 8 rounds NOT TAKEN!  ARRRRGGGHHH

We'll definitely be back with more, no matter how many times we pay for membership.... HA!
Red Ryder Preservation Society - dedicated to an aggressive fight against syndicated greed, organized mis-education, and the general lack of values and vision.

AuntieBellum

A fantastic weekend, all around.  We really had the best, most attentive shooters around and everyone made some great improvements.  Congrats to our new Riflemen, and to our soon-to-be new Riflemen - you were all a pleasure to work with.  See, I told you that those rocks at Atlanta make you shoot gooder.   ;D

PICTURES!!!  I DEMAND PICTURES!!!
(Yeah, yeah...I know I took some of them, but it wasn't my camera, promise!)

"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

Indyfly

Red Ryder Preservation Society - dedicated to an aggressive fight against syndicated greed, organized mis-education, and the general lack of values and vision.

Niecie

Saturday was a great day! Great weather for February for sure. It was wonderful to see familiar faces and meet new folks, as well. Congratulations to the new Riflemen and a special congratulations to Courtlin, great job! I can't wait to see you all again, soon.

It was also great to see my fellow 'hats,  as well. I really enjoy working with all of you and appreciate all you do for Appleseed and our country.

Sorry I was not able to come out on Sunday, but I am sure none of you wanted me to share the on-setting cold. Thank you to AuntieBellum and YHJ for taking the Sunday pics for me.

and here they are.... Enjoy! (Now AuntieBellum can relax  ;D   )

Niecie

Good Morning Shooters!  ^:)^

Red Coat

Saturday morning instruction...

Strike a Pose...

AuntieBellum with First Strike

Definitely NOT a comment on YHJ's Second Strike....

Working hard through out the afternoon...

Sunday

Hard work pays off. We have some new Riflemen!! ^:)^

The winning team...

and the reason we all do this....
Courtlin shot a 219  ^:)^ ^:)^ ^:)^

Rimshot ripped his Appleseed patch from his jacket and presented it to her.

What better way to spend a weekend?

Orangedotfever

Wow that looked like it was a great shoot. I'll have to find where Atlanta is. I'm a Southern Indiana guy.
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

yellowhousejake

Watch the schedule, we are all over southern Indiana!

YHJ

YHJ

Orangedotfever

Quote from: yellowhousejake on February 23, 2012, 08:14:48 PM
Watch the schedule, we are all over southern Indiana!

YHJ

Thanks Jake. I shot rifleman at Bedford last September and I'm going back this April to try with iron sights. I just need to go to some of these other Indiana events because everything looks great at all the shoots. Bedford sells out so fast.
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

grunt soldier

niecie I love the picture of cortlin getting that patch.  that is awesome and makes me glad to volunteer
custom kydex solutions.  specializing in sheaths and holsters.  let me know if I can do something for you fellow seeders :)  some pics of our work below

"When it comes time to die, be not like those whose hearts are filled with the fear of death, so when their time comes they weep and pray for a little more time to live their lives over again in a different way. Sing your death song, and die like a hero going home." - Chief Aupumut (1725), Mohican.

hooky

Love the pics of Cortlin.

Not so happy about that pic of me gripping the fore end of my rifle with no ear pro.  Don't let that happen to you kids.

grunt soldier

Quote from: hooky on February 24, 2012, 10:45:08 PM

Not so happy about that pic of me gripping the fore end of my rifle with no ear pro.  Don't let that happen to you kids.

get it together sir.  lets go.  just because you shot a 230 and up doesn't mean you get to ignore the safety rules.  when your prep period starts your eye and ear pro should be included :)    some how we missed that but such is life that's why we ask everyone to pay attention to the 4th safety rule.  again congrats on rifleman.  don't stop keep working at it and you will shoot your best and encourage others to do the same. 

yellowhousejake

But was the prep period over yet? Only the photographer knows for certain.

YHJ

Quote from: grunt soldier on February 27, 2012, 12:49:08 AM
Quote from: hooky on February 24, 2012, 10:45:08 PM

get it together sir.  lets go.  just because you shot a 230 and up doesn't mean you get to ignore the safety rules.  when your prep period starts your eye and ear pro should be included :)    some how we missed that but such is life that's why we ask everyone to pay attention to the 4th safety rule.  again congrats on rifleman.  don't stop keep working at it and you will shoot your best and encourage others to do the same. 

YHJ