News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Castro Valley, CA February 18-19, 2012 AAR

Started by Nero, February 20, 2012, 12:20:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nero

(For those looking for the 'zombie triangle' targets and info about Chabot activities, see:
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=23542.0)

We had a beautiful Central Calfornia winter weekend for the first 2012 shoot at Castro Valley's Chabot Gun Club.  30 Americans got off the couch on Saturday to join us for some marksmanship and heritage. 

For the first time, the Bay Area instructor corps was running the shoot on its own, since our usual helpful Red Hats from SoCal were needed to run a full slate of shoots in the Southland.  We missed you - Cam, Ken, Phil, Pete and Bob - but we did get on!  Our IITs were asked to step up beyond their grade level, and they did so in style.

When half of the shooting mats were laid out square to the firing line, we knew we had some work to do.  But there was also great potential, with some impressive results on the first redcoat, including a first time shooter who punched three rounds into the 400 yard silhouette with a loaner rifle.  Nice job, Steph!   O0

So we got right down to it, and worked our way through prone, the 6 steps, NPOA and cadence by lunch, with a gentle introduction to our good friend the time monkey.  Then lunch and some American heritage, with yours truly delivering the first strike, joined by Blue Hat American Amazon giving her debut presentation of the Second Strike.  Awesome job!  (No, no nepotism around here.  ;D )

Then NPOA shifts, mag swaps, and introductions to sitting, kneeling and standing, as the time monkey came back to stay.  We posted one AQT and shot it through with instruction.  A quick glimpse showed that some shooters were already knocking on the door, so we decided to push the edge on twilight a bit, and posted another.  Targets were frantically scored as the line was packed up, and sure enough there were Riflemen among us!

Dave B is an 'adaptive' shooter, since his support arm is also man-made.  But no adaptations were made in the course of fire when he posted up a 216 score on his second AQT!  O0   O0  It may help that he has a backyard range of his own and makes good use of it.  Can we all come visit?   :D  >:D

Luke had to leave while we were still scoring, so he went to bed Saturday night not knowing that he was already a Rifleman.  We patched him on Sunday morning as a good start to the day, and he proved it was no fluke by repeating the feat multiple times on Sunday.  After a while I was just walking over and tucking the latest qualifier into his range bag.  He topped out with a weekend's high 224 score.

Our Sunday line was 26 shooters, with a number of walk-ons and experienced Appleseeders.  Our IIT corps took over delivering the instruction, and we sped through reviews of safety, 6 steps and steady hold factors.  Some new rifles appeared and were sighted in. 

We paused for a ball and dummy drill before getting into the serious AQT grind.  Having made rifleman with a 22, Dave B was back with his .308 Euro-rifle clone, and was making some big noise on the left side of the line.  His action lofted the empties from his Russkie ammo high into the sky, and with the wind increasing they got some serious air! 

As we settled into the grind, the shooters started delivering on the promising start.  Previous Rifleman Daimien, son of one of our IITs, came back and proved it was no accident by requalifying with a 212 using a different rifle.  He took a desert tan patch to go with his previous OD patch. 

At our lunch break IITs Dennis and Rex took their debut turn at telling the stories of Wyman and Whittemore respectively.  Then I and American Amazon dueted on Lamson & Mother Batherick, and she finished off with Prudence Wright.  Kurt, one of the range RSOs and a Rifleman himself, visited to welcome the shooters and tell them a bit about the other opportunities available here.

Tom "Puppy" was running a curiously colored rifle on the end of the line, and he knew how to make it talk.  He turned in a 222 qualifier.  Later I learned that most of his previous shooting experience is with reproduction matchlocks!  Holding one of those steady appears to transfer pretty well to Appleseed!

We had two Brians on the line, which could be confusing.  But they made it easy for us by both shooting Rifleman scores.   "BMAC" has been out before, and was immediately knocking on the door with a 207.  Then he kicked it open with a 211 and then a 215.  Bryan with a 'Y' made hs score with a 218 as well. 

By now it was mid-afternoon, and Murphy had come to join his friend the time monkey.  The beating was telling on the rifles, and a couple of 10/22s turned into jam-o-matics.  Sherwin was shooting with his rear sight taped on, and still scoring over 200.  Fix that thing and come on back, you'll have it! On the good side, a couple of beautiful CMP Garands made an appearance, and joined Dave's .308 in bringing the noise.  It's not a Chabot 'seed without some big booms!

We had a shoot 'town meeting' and a vote between more AQTs and breaking for a fun team exercise.  This crowd was serious, they had come to score, and the AQTs won in a landslide.  So back to it, as the wind and chill began to pick up. 

Scores were starting to suffer from fatigue and the cold, but Loren - who happens to be Bryan's dad - made it in with a 212 score.  (We understand that there was a side bet between them on who has the first go at a pig shoot.  If you need assistance in disposing of Mr. Pig's remains - you know where to find some folks who'll help out.   >:D )  Loren & Bryan are the third father/son pair of Riflemen forged at Chabot - only five to go to equal the total on Lexington Green!

So there's another Castro Valley shoot in the history books.  They were several other folks scoring consistently from 180 to just above 200.  Some dry practice, a bit more range time, and come on back - you'll have it!

Pix to follow after a bit of editing!
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Unbridled Liberty

Congrats to Dave B and all the other new Riflemen!  Looking forward to the pix.
For Liberty, each Freeman Strives
As its a Gift of God
And for it willing yield their Lives
And Seal it with their Blood

Thrice happy they who thus resign
Into the peacefull Grave
Much better there, in Death Confin'd
Than a Surviving Slave

This Motto may adorn their Tombs,
(Let tyrants come and view)
"We rather seek these silent Rooms
Than live as Slaves to You"

Lemuel Haynes, 1775

Nero

And now, some pix!

Instructor's bull session meeting starts the day...

...at the beautiful Chabot Gun Club

Dave B & family plinkin' redcoats.  Hey, get those knees up!

The right and the left of it

Our posterity - what it's about!

Dave B claims his patch.  Practice and persistence!

Rifleman!  It feels good!  Luke has enough qualifying targets to wallpaper his place.

Day 2 - the SB gets a little time on the line

Dennis and Rex debut with Dangerous Old Men

Chabot RSO and Rifleman Curt pays us a visit.

Daimien requalifies and adds to his patch collection

'Puppy' gets 'er done

BMAC had a 209 at his last shoot, and came back to remedy that.  Mission accomplished!

We understand that Bryan won first shot at the piggies

Loren persists through the chill and wind, and make his score

Like son, like father?

The full album is here:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114208333789247233986/CastroValley212#

If others have photos to share, please post them up.  We got fewer than usual due to being a bit short-handed.
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

Puppy

My huge thanks to everyone involved in the shoot on Sunday. I am thrilled to have made Rifleman, and I'm further proof that anyone can do it if they stick to it. Sunday was only my 7th day shooting a rifle. My gratitude also goes out to Tom Jacobsen for loaning me a rifle and protective gear, teaching me sling use, showing me how to clean the rifle, and supporting me by being there. Every time I needed something, Tom had my back. Also many thanks to "han solo" out there who gave me huge encouragement and crucial criticism on the line. And I won't forget all of the other instructors and support staff who made the weekend happen.

Some advice, based on my own problems and experiences:
Learn the fundamentals, practice them, and find a way to be comfortable in each of the positions. I came in on Sunday not being at all comfortable with Standing and Sitting/Kneeling. But I realized there is plenty of time with the standing position, so taking my time there helped. And I happened to walk up while someone was being taught how to sit with their feet crossed in front of them. I tried it out and it finally worked out for me, giving me confidence in that position. I also started working more on rifle control while hooking up my sling in prep period. Be consistent about how you do that, using the kneeling position with the rifle between your legs and you won't be slowed down or get rattled while prepping to shoot. Get your sling dialed in and leave it on your arm. Practice standing up while keeping your support hand in the same place on the rifle, placing your trigger hand under the butt. Know the test. Practice all of the shot counts for the test so you don't get confused. I heard that someone had it written down at their shooting position. Great idea! And learn how to change the magazine while in position. If you have hot brass landing on your hands, get some Wells Lamon "Sport Utility Gloves" special order from Orchard Supply. They're fingerless, easy to take off in a hurry, and kept my hands warm all day.

bmac

A big thanks to everyone for making this yet another great Appleseed at Chabot! As always great instruction, story telling and camaraderie. Emma and I will be back.

Proud Rifleman, Proud American,
-BMAC

Nero

I wanted to add a special acknowledgment to Tom Jacobsen, mentioned in Puppy's post above.  Tom brought out a large party of shooters, gave them support, shade, and loaned firearms in some cases.  He also graciously loaned out mats and even rifles to other Appleseeders when our stocks ran dry, and even pitched in to help debug malfunctioning rifles.  A big tip of the shoot boss hat to Tom.  :bow:  Hey, you know we've got these blue hats that would look pretty spiffy on you!   >:D