News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Sunland,California Feb.18/19/2012

Started by Johnnyappleseed, February 18, 2012, 11:20:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Johnnyappleseed

After a somewhat uncertain venue ,we were assigned a range  :wb:
Congratulations to Cali's new Rifleman ,Justin who fired a 223  O0. Nice shooting Sir !

A sincere thank you to everyone who attended and put forth the effort on the journey to become Rifleman .

Special thanx to RH gonejohnny who kept things moving and did an all around great job and in AS tradition brought along some of his friends .

We had a few getting close to the 210 ,and expect to add more Riflemen tommorrow .

Gonejohnny has took some pics and we are all  looking forward to seeing them and hearing from each of you .

Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

maguiver77

I just want to thank the Johnny's for teaching me the forgotten skills and helping me get my Rifleman.  I had a great time. 

gratefuldog

Turns out the Sunland shoot moved out to Piru on Sunday....  And, while things didn't go quite how I was expecting them to (as of Saturday evening,) it was a fantastic shoot. Riflemen (and women) were made, with many others on the verge....
feel free to chime in, folks!

SavageShootr

Sounds like a perfect opportunity to AIO.  ^:)^
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

Foppish Dandy

It was an absolute pleasure meeting you all. I'm looking forward to the next shoot.
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

gonejohnny

AIO: Adapt, Improvise & Overcome... a good amount of each this weekend for sure!

Where to even start! Another fine weekend, spread across two ranges... in the greatest state in the nation - with some of the finest Americans you'll even have the privilege of spending some time with.

The Sunland line...

a little proper use of a prep period...

Grigor & Tigran, you guys were an absolute pleasure with work with. With a Marlin, literally fresh out of the box - you kept with it and kept with it! Remember LokTite is your friend... (use sparingly... a little goes a long way!) Grigor, keep at it... you're improvements were obvious!

a little TPI sling examination first thing in the AM... "how's this work?"

Mark! Sometimes I wish Appleseeds were three days long... Just so we could get another 4 or 5 AQT's in front of you! Guess we're gonna have to wait until next time! Excellent form out there!

Ray is still at it! Always helpful to his fellow shooters... D R Y - P R A C T I C E... Seriously!!!!

Justin, showing some fierce determination... here he is well on his way.... and... boom...

We've got another CALIFORNIA RIFLEMAN!!! Way to go, man! Welcome to the fold!  O0

Mike C... Let me know when you want to head down to the local shop and pick you out a rifle of your own... We'll get you sorted out for sure!

Mike getting into the swing of things...

A little dry practice before putting his new-found knowledge to some practical use with an M1Garand...

As some of his first shots in over 35-years, David ends up qualifying at 200-yards! Here he takes a turn of his own with a Garand...

Langer gettin' set up on the Piru line...

Returnee Brian on the lines galloping his way towards becoming a true Rifleman... watch that support hand, buddy  ;)

Mike with an excellent show of 230! For a patch and yet ANOTHER CALIFORNIA RIFLEMAN!!!  :cool2:

Crystal getting some one-on-one instruction from JohnnyAppleseed on proper sling use... Guess it paid off, cause...

YET EVEN ONE MORE CALIFORNIA RIFLEMAN... I MEAN RIFLEWOMAN getting her patch from Cowgirl Ducky!!!!!  ^:)^

With a qualifying score of 210... Here she is getting a little taste of the waters from the North Bridge!

All in all, it was just a fantastic weekend! A special thank you to JohnnyAppleseed, Cowgirl Ducky, GratefulDog, Scott1600 & Frank for allowing me the privilege of working with you guys! Can't wait till next time!

There were A LOT of shooters this weekend! If I forgot to mention some of you, I'll see you on the trail! Right?  ;) Now stop draggin' wood and get moving on your dry-firing... We've got enough patches for everyone!

Rock & Roll,
- GoneJohnny

Snakeinthegrass

Project Appleseed to me was an amazing experience. It was more than learning how to shoot a rifle, and more than learning about the history of this nation. It was about the rekindling and passing down the Spirit of Liberty to others. The last time I heard details about the Revolutionary War in this detail was from a teacher reading out of a book; but their words fell flat as academic and lacked the soul presented at Appleseed. What struck me most were the instructors, volunteers, speaking to us from their hearts, about men and women who were willing to sacrifice everything (and often did), for the sake of passing down Freedom to future generations. The thing about speaking from the heart shows one's conviction, passion, and the fact that you believe in something you would stand up for. This to me was the most important thing I received from this weekend's Appleseed event. I received an immense gladness in seeing like minded individuals gather together. We had never known each other before, but we were already bonded through the cause of Liberty. Understanding Freedom, what it took to attain it, and taking an active part in remembering and appreciating the birth of that idea was what this weekend was about. The idea that our rights come from our Creator and not a government. The idea that as long as we cause no harm to others, we should live our lives as WE choose. And the idea that no one has the authority to take that away from us.

A special thanks to JohnnyAppleseed, GoneJohnny, SavageShootr (I borrowed your Marlin's magazine and you made sure my cousin had a loaner rifle) and the Piru instructors. I look forward to attending future Appleseed events. Thank you all very much for your great work.

-Tigran

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xy8w2SX1QYM

Johnnyappleseed

Thank you all for your contribition's to liberty .
We instuctors are honored by your participation and kind words.

WHO IS MISSING A COOLER !  :D  I now have TWO.
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

Scott1600

If it's a red and white cooler and had a bag of trail mix in it and a can of cola, that would be mine!!!  - ^:)^
-Scott
"Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations." -John Adams, July 3, 1776.

Scott1600

Was great meeting you all!  Hope to see you on the trail again some time soon!
O0
-Scott
"Objects of the most stupendous magnitude, and measure in which the lives and liberties of millions yet unborn are intimately interested, are now before us. We are in the very midst of a revolution the most complete, unexpected and remarkable of any in the history of nations." -John Adams, July 3, 1776.

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: Scott1600 on February 20, 2012, 07:33:28 PM
If it's a red and white cooler and had a bag of trail mix in it and a can of cola, that would be mine!!!  - ^:)^
-Scott
thank goodness it was an instructor COOLER !   ;D
I will pm you  :-[
Calvin Coolidge

JustMike

This was a rad weekend.  Thanks to GoneJohnny for bringing me out.  Along with all the other instructors who were incredibly patient and knowledgable.  This was the first time I have ever shot, and I think Im hooked.  I will be sure to pick Ray, and GoneJohnny's brains about what to buy.  Thanks to everyone who came out as well.

MR B (549)

My second appleseed and boy did I have fun ...It was so nice to meet some new people and to see some of the people from my last visit . It was also inspiring to see the achievements of Mike and Crystal on the Sunday ...Well done and please spread the word . I learned so much more this time and I'm really starting to absorb the lessons and techniques and someday hope to patch in . Thanks to Johnny Appleseed for the tip on dry firing in prep and for all y'all who ribbed me on my wood draggin'!!!I took my best AQT home with me (189) and poured over the holes on the paper remembering each shot .I keep that score to remind myself of the fun had and for future endeavors .I  appreciate the hard work of all the volunteers and of course the history and sacrifices of our founders . There is always a spiritual strength I feel after an Appleseed shoot and a brightened heightened sense of  appreciation for this wonderful nation of rag tagged rugged individuals who promote freedom and liberty , and who work tirelessly to preserve it.

For Liberty
Mr B
In a time of universal deceit,
telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
George Orwell

Johnnyappleseed

Congratulations Mike on achieving Rifleman and welcome aboard . O0

When choosing a rifle , i am reminded of the excelent promo done on Sunday by  Frank ,for AS supporters TURNERS OUTDOORSMAN .

TURNERS are  offering a free AS weekend with purchase of a Ruger 10-22 . If memory is correct , this rifle is also on sale O0

A special note of thanx to the Fort Courage gun shop . We had folks who said they got fliers and a promotion from FORT COURAGE gun shop .

So you can give that to another friend thus doubling yourself .
Calvin Coolidge

pops

thanks to Gone Johnny for inviting me to shoot this past weekend, and letting me crash on your couch Saturday. I'm glad that I did Sat. & Sun, even tho I am still sore! I'm really proud of myself for getting out there and doing something! the structure and instruction were  great. I have a different perspective now, and I'm grateful for the education that was provided. Right on target! until next  time. . .

Sly223

Excellent feed back from your newbies,
this says volumes,
on how this event had a positive effect! ..:..
Tell them all to notify their friends in Fl.
and get to an event here the weather is great! :bow:
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

jonnydangerously

Thanks to all the instructors and fellow shooters for creating an enjoyable and challenging weekend. This was my second Appleseed and won't be my last. Scoring Rifleman remains my objective and although I have a love/hate relationship with my AR15 and the AQT, succeed I must.

Congrats to all those who achieved their Riflemen, and women, badges and to all those who have the goal in their sights.
The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

Thomas Jefferson

mosinguy

This, right here, is why I volunteered

Quote from: Snakeinthegrass on February 20, 2012, 07:03:58 PM
Project Appleseed to me was an amazing experience. It was more than learning how to shoot a rifle, and more than learning about the history of this nation. It was about the rekindling and passing down the Spirit of Liberty to others. [snip]
Join or Die

Sly223

Hey Johnny Appleseed and Crew,
I sent a shout out and thank you,
on my AAR for Myakka city MGAR Feb.25-26.
For the info. obtained, about the Range splittin' up your Sched. and how smoothly, you and your folks handled, that Snafu! ..:..
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

LadyMiddlebrook

Hi, Johnny Appleseed -
Just wanted to say Hi from Florida.  This is Jen M. from the shoot in St. Augustine that you flew in for in November 12th and 13th(?) 2011.  Ed and I went to Myakka City this weekend for our 2nd Appleseed.  We got rid of our "trap-line" guns and Ed shot his AR-15 223, and I brought my brand new pink cammo S&W AR-22.  My gun broke shortly after we started, and SLY223 generously loaned me his Ruger AR-22 to shoot with.  I did much better than in St. Aug, but only got a 176  :-[  Ed shot a 195 at his best, and would have killed to do 1 more AQT - he ran the red coats at the end....I think if it was an AQT instead of the final red coat, he would have gotten the extra 15 needed.  Anyway, we had a great time, and are getting registered to go back to MC in June.  I will get that purple patch one day!  Take care!

LadyMiddlebrook

Hey - one more thing...do you have the pictures that you took in St Augustine??  We do not see them with the AAR.  Thanks!

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: LadyMiddlebrook on February 27, 2012, 03:13:30 PM
Hi, Johnny Appleseed -
Just wanted to say Hi from Florida.  This is Jen M. from the shoot in St. Augustine that you flew in for in November 12th and 13th(?) 2011.  Ed and I went to Myakka City this weekend for our 2nd Appleseed.  We got rid of our "trap-line" guns and Ed shot his AR-15 223, and I brought my brand new pink cammo S&W AR-22.  My gun broke shortly after we started, and SLY223 generously loaned me his Ruger AR-22 to shoot with.  I did much better than in St. Aug, but only got a 176  :-[  Ed shot a 195 at his best, and would have killed to do 1 more AQT - he ran the red coats at the end....I think if it was an AQT instead of the final red coat, he would have gotten the extra 15 needed.  Anyway, we had a great time, and are getting registered to go back to MC in June.  I will get that purple patch one day!  Take care!

Hi LM and Ed
Nice to see you again,and WOW a 176 and ED with 195  O0
Those are good scores for only a 2nd appleseed  ;) I never shot that high in the USMC ,after 4 years  :D

We have insructor's who say the  key to scoring RM is lots of dry practice at home between events. Also ,shooting 4minue squares at your gun club will get you ready for the AQT .

Those "trap line " guns have a special purpose . I doubt you and ED will ever require them for he intended purpose , but who knows ! ;D
BTW the term " trapline gun" comes from the Wisconsin State coordinator- DragonFly !
Those Wisconsin boys ! hahahaha
I will go through my camera and see what pics survived . As I recall your excelent Florida crew took lots of pics .
Nice forum name Lady M  :)
Has ED found a name yet? or does he want the AS folks to assign him one ? ::)
Thanx for posting , see you on the trail

Calvin Coolidge

LadyMiddlebrook

Ed picked his post - it is "Son of Summers Middlebrook".  After our AS with you in St. Aug, Ed started looking into his family tree and found that he is a direct descendant to Summers Middlebrook who was a member of Capt. Comstock's company of the 9th regiment of the Connecticut militia.  He was also under Col. Samuel Whiting.  Ed has done a lot of searching into his roots due to your storytelling abilities at the St Aug AS regarding the people of the Revolutionary War.  Talk to you later! 

Johnnyappleseed

I am not surprised to hear of Eds family history . You both are making the founders proud with your efforts and love of liberty  O0

One item that is an aid to scoring is a shooting jacket . Do you and Ed have the jackets ? 
I believe Florida still has the Madame Yotnottin "purple patch " . I will never forget the fantastic tribute Theri did in Saint Augustine to Jackie Wells .
She will be proud to see you wearing it on your shooting jacket.

We are so looking forward to seeing you both proudly holding your Rifleman patches and wearing those beautiful bright orange hats ;D

Calvin Coolidge

SavageShootr

I went up to the range in Sunland for the April 07-08 event and found a ring that was filled with dirt in the middle. Who knows how long it has been up there but thought I would start with this event's AAR as that was the last Appleseed at which someone could have dropped a ring.

If you dropped a ring at an Appleseed up in Sunland send me a message.

Jonnydangerously - Glad you made it out to another event.
"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete