News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

RED BLUFF, CA FEB 11-12, 2012 AAR

Started by NorCal22Gal, February 14, 2012, 03:15:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NorCal22Gal

Red Bluff, CA  Feb. 11-12, 2012
WOW....AMAZING, AND ONE MORE WOW.
I truly can't imagine how these events keep getting better and better!! 
Many Thanks to the Tehama Shooters Association for hosting us!!!!
Saturday, 19 Americans arrived to learn some marksmanship skills and some Heritage.  We started the morning with a safety briefing and then we turned on the fire hose of knowledge.  This group was like sponges, absorbing everything we put out there.  Target group size began to shrink, but the smiles and obvious enjoyment of what they were learning didn't shrink. 
We broke for lunch, eaglescouter got the history telling off with a bit of pre-history, sort of a pre-strike.  Then I told the three strikes.  I could see several people making personal connection with the events of April 1775.  We finished up lunch and went back to the firehose... 
We were able to get in 3 AQT's before the sun failed us on Saturday, and the race was on...Tim, Shauna, Eric, Christopher, and a couple others were knocking at the Rifleman door... By the end of the day Tim and Shauna both made the grade, Tim with a nice 218 and Shauna with a very nice 222.  It was a pleasure to award these two their patches.  We finished up with a benediction and awarded a few Young Patriot Patches to the 4 youth on the line.  I am proud of all of them.

Sunday, started with a review of safety, then a review on Saturday's lessons.  These shooters had absorbed the information and were quick to tell the instructors what they knew about the steady hold factors, 6 steps and the rest... we got in 1 AQT before lunch.  We shared the range on Sunday with the trap shooters.  All of us broke for lunch at the same time.  It was a nice day so we had lunch outside.  Several of the Appleseed shooters got tickets for the club raffle the Tehama Shooters had going on.  One of the Appleseed participants won the tactical shotgun, Eric...congrats again on the nice shotgun!!    We started telling the Dangerous Old Men and the Ladies.  Several of the trap shooters (including TSA President Ed Little) joined us to hear about the Dangerous Old Men. 
After lunch it was back to the AQT. The KD (known distance) shooters had finished fine tuning  their zeroing at 100-400 yards so we were able to proceed with the AQT grind...a bit slower than 25 meter only but still a bunch of fun.  The second AQT saw the first rifleman of the day and the 3rd of the weekend. Eric added a Rifleman patch to his winning shotgun with a score of 234. He followed that up with two more rifleman scores a 228 (I think, Eric please correct me if I got that one wrong) and a 210, no need for a bottle of water to anoint that score...we just had him help in the rain... :) As the sun went away and the clouds came in and the temp dropped...these riflemen and women kept on shooting.  On the next to the last AQT of the day Brian scored a 202 on the KD AQT...(min score there is 200).  His is the 3rd KD Rifleman earned in Northern California.  (The other two are eaglescouter & polygunner at the Aug. 2011 Instructor KD weekend)

We finished up with redcoats and sent the kd guys out to do their final tallying and to bring in the targets...just as the rain started.
With the help of shooters waiting for the kd guys and the instructors we were able to get almost everything cleaned up by the time they got back.  I awarded Eric and Brian their Rifleman patches and we finished closing up. 
After everyone was gone, Tim came up to me and asked about being an IIT.  Shauna sent me a text (ah the marvels of modern technology) asking me to "save me an orange hat". 
So, 3 Riflemen, 1 Riflewoman...2 new IIT's... makes me wonder....What's the next one gonna be like.....?

Laurie
NorCal22Gal

Foppish Dandy

Sounds amazing! Really wish you guys would plan more up in Red Bluff. I'm only able to get up a few times each year, but I would love to plan a trip to visit my family around an Appleseed. I really want to get my family, particularly my nephews involved. It'd be great if there were more than just two a year.

Sam
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

eaglescouter

Quote from: Langer on February 14, 2012, 04:27:47 PM
Sounds amazing! Really wish you guys would plan more up in Red Bluff. I'm only able to get up a few times each year, but I would love to plan a trip to visit my family around an Appleseed. I really want to get my family, particularly my nephews involved. It'd be great if there were more than just two a year.

Sam

Sam,

Hat Creek is now hosting Appleseeds, so that is another option for a Northern California visit :)

Hat Creek schedule link:  http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=27687.0
Old Guy:  Do it long enough and you get really good at it.

Rifleman:  Sacramento:  Four Ought Nine
Full Distance:  Red Bluff:  What year was that?
Pistoleer™:  Hat Creek:  Three Twenty One

Make yourselves good scouts and good rifle shots in order to protect the women and children of your country if it should ever become necessary.
--Lord Baden-Powell
Scouting for Boys (1908)

Foppish Dandy

Unfortunately, that's a bit more of a trip than I'd be looking for for a quick weekend up visiting the fam. Already driving 8 or 9 hours to visit... don't really want to add another few hours of driving. I'll just have to keep an eye out for some other dates in Red Bluff.
Foppish Dandy, Mr. Dandy, Señor Dandy, Capt'n Dandy

Please take a moment to visit and "Like" the Southern California Project Appleseed Facebook Page.

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety."
- Benjamin Franklin (Notes for a proposition at the Pennsylvania Assembly, 1775)

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom — go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that you were our countrymen!"
- Samuel Adams (Speech, State House of Pennsylvania, Philadelphia, August 1, 1776)

NorCal22Gal

I want to thank everyone who stayed and helped us clean up and put the range back the way it was.  Your help was soooooo very greatly appreciated.

THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!!!!!

^:)^

NorCal22Gal

Jmirel2 took a few pictures...here they are.

Thanks Jeff