News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR, (School) Libraryseed, Urbana, IL, 2-6-12

Started by TheEditor, February 09, 2012, 10:44:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

Date:  2-6-12

City, State:  Urbana, IL

Venue Name:  Mixed Jr. High - High school age, Champaign County Juvenile Detention Center, Urbana, IL

Number of Attendees:  11 Students, 1 Teacher, 2 staff, 2 college interns

Volunteers involved:  TheEditor

Pre-Event promotions:  I made the offer to the teacher, who was about to start a unit on American history.  She gladly accepted. 

Promotional material handed out at event:  None

Props used:  A map and a white board.   

Booth cost:  $5.3 million.  No, wait, that's what the taxpayers paid to build that building in 2000.  It didn't cost me anything but the effort. 

Good: The students, ages 13-17, most likely had never heard any of this history before.  Most listened attentively; but as it was a "captive" audience, there were a few who probably didn't absorb much.  I had an hour each with a group of 5 or 6; realistically, that's about as much attention as I was going to hold with this group. Some did ask some good questions. 

The emphasis was on regular people who made big differences, such as Gage's wife, the folks who rowed Revere across the harbor, and Lamson stopping the resupply wagons.  By the end, a few of them seemed to realize that the history was not about famous people, but about people.   

These were students that will never see a firing line.  As such, this was their only opportunity to hear The Story. 

Bad:  As this was held in a secure facility, I could not bring in any props. 

Summary:  Any instructor who can tell the History at an AS can tell the history in a school as a guest speaker.  But you've got to ask; the teachers probably won't be beating down your door looking for you.  Ask, and you shall receive... permission.  Go for it!

The Editor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

Two Wolves

Great job!! A wonderful story about human kindness and generosity. You are an extraordinary individual. To think what a difference you might have on these young people.  O0  O0 ~ Two Wolves
A moral compass provides a basis for making decisions; an action is good or bad, right or wrong when viewed in the light of the individual's moral bearing. If no moral compass exists for the individual, then decisions and actions are made on the basis of purely subjective thoughts. This leads to "If it makes me happy, or makes me feel good, or if it's something I simply want to do, then it is right and good."

Western Rose

Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Fred

Nice one! Let's have more of them!

O0  O0
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

mac3647

Really interesting to hear about this.  Another direction to look in.  Good Job !!!!
"All tyranny needs to gain a foothold is for people of good conscience to remain silent"  Thomas Jefferson

Rimshot

Quote from: TheEditor on February 09, 2012, 10:44:48 PMThese were students that will never see a firing line.  As such, this was their only opportunity to hear The Story.
This is my favorite part.  There aren't enough thumbs up smilies on this board for this statement.
"Hearing the story of our Heritage told with just dry facts is like hearing Romeo & Juliet through autopsy reports." - Fred

"In 1775, to protect Liberty a man had to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come die with me?"  In 2012, to protect Liberty a man has to knock on his neighbor's door and ask "will you come vote/attend a public meeting/work at a poll with me?"  Jason Russell, and men and women like him, are the reason have a easier task in 2012. The question is, are we up to it?" - YHJ

GEmanuel

Who knows what new direction one of these young men may take? Nice job and thank you!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine