News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

../\.. Saratoga NY February 4 and 5, 2012

Started by R1SGx2, February 06, 2012, 11:47:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

R1SGx2

Saratoga, New York Saraspa Rod and Gun Club

February 4 and 5, 2012

Cadre:
Shoot Boss: R1sgx2
Red Hat: Sureshot
IIT's: The Mrs., Dakota30, Little Mo, Gregch44,  MPH_VT

Rifleman - Persist and that we did.
This was a unique shoot, Saraspa Rod and Gun Club allowed Appleseed to shoot indoors Saturday and outdoors Sunday on 50 and 100/200 yard ranges. This was to allow for their members to hall full access to all their ranges at some point during the weekend. Thanks Saraspa and its members for the continued support of Appleseed. Beautiful facilities. O0 :bow:

Saturday brought 11 shooters to the line indoors. Wasn't long before all were into the rifleman bubble.  :~ Several first time Applseeders and very welcomed.

Sunday was outside on the 50 yard line. Big temperature change from Saturday. Morning started out at 16 degrees and got to 31 briefly and dropped quickly. Off to the side there was a warming fire not as big as Bon Fires of the past at Saraspa Appleseeds. We also had Hot Chocolate close to the line. ..:..

If you asked Liam, Stuart, Doc Syed, Smurf and Keith G. who where in the shade almost the whole day, bet they would say they were in a freezer. Yes it was cold. :o

We had on the line 2 Doctors, Doc Rob return Appleseeder and Doc Syed and member of Saraspa, watching both, very intense in shooting and applying instructions provided.

The snow and ice provided an extra challenge to all; BUT as rifleman, the ice slowed no one down. All were on Mission.

Morgan a youth shooter with an air rifle was set up next to his dad Ed. This young man was a pleasure to watch. He pumped his rifle on his own, maintained muzzle discipline, and was on target, all this with little instruction and guidance from instructors or dad. Not to mention how pleased he was of his shot groups after each course of fire. As everyone else Morgan was caught with a hot chocolate or near the warming fire a few times.

Those that shot Appleseeds in the past found the challenges those of the Revolutionary War had in shooting outside in the winter. The cold, numbness to fingers, watching your breath when talking, moving from position to position with the extra clothing. Nothing but Persistence was seen.

Watching the intensity in Keith G's face as he moved from position to position, one could tell he wants that title of Rifleman, JB and John between courses while scoring were giving shooters pointers and reminders. Doc Syed on Sunday came out side with his Mini-14 and right away began focusing on mission. Dave a few times said I'm done, next course of fire right back on the line as a Rifleman would be.  ~~:)

Here in Saratoga again assembled shooters for marksmanship, made me more then once think of those that assembled in August / September 1777 at the Battles of Saratoga. Focused on tasks at hand.

23 Shooters assembled on the white snow of Saraspa, Saratoga.

Morgan was all smiles and a gentleman when he received his youth patch. This young man knows what he is about, and speaks with confidence. :cool2:

Trish a member of Saraspa walking off the line sporting an Appleseed Shoot like a Girl if you can hat. ^:)^

Andrew and Jessica more then once knocking on the door of rifleman, so close, and Jamie, where did that stage 4 round go, 9 on target, very very close to another rifleman.  :wb: !@#)

Rifleman:
Casey Saturday with a 214
Jeremy with a 237 inside backed up Sunday outside with a 230 and 237
Ric Sunday with a 212 then a 228
Doc Rob: Sunday with 210 then a 231
Smurf Sunday with 218 backed up with a 229 with an AR-15
:--- :~ :~ :~

Promotions this weekend were:
Smurf to Orange Hat - thank you
Gregch44 to IIT-1
O0

Thank you to all the Shooters, Instructors for volunteering / sharing knowledge and Saraspa for allowing us use of you range. You all helped make this a beautiful weekend. :bow: :bow: :bow:

Please check here again as I am sure comments and photo's soon to be posted.

mark
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

The Mrs.

What a great weekend for the Nation and Appleseed.  To those who gathered to learn the skills of a Rifleman and the Heritage of our Nation, a big THANK YOU.  Saturday was full of fast and furious instuction and practice.  Talk about drinking from a firehose....yet each and every shooter kept up and put into practice what they were taught.

Attached are pictures from Saturday.  Due to some technical difficulties I had with my camera I am not able to share the pictures I took Sunday.  I will try to get the rest of the pictures out of the camera memory and post later, but here is at least a start.

Again thank you to Mark (our Shoot Boss), instructor corp (Dan, Michelle, Gary, Gregg and Alan), SaraSpa for the use of their wonderful facilities, and especially the shooters for making this a great weekend for me.

Now in no particular order:
Think with love and truth
See with love and truth
Speak with love and truth
Hear with love and truth
And come from the heart, with love, and truth, and honor.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

mosinguy

Quote from: The Mrs. on February 06, 2012, 12:18:38 PM
Now in no particular order:

Excellent pics!

I liked the artsy shot.   :)
Join or Die

The Mrs.

Here are the rest of the pics I have.  I know will be added later by others.

Yes folks....it was a bit chilly!!  LoL ..:.. ..:..
See with love and truth
Hear with love and truth

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. ~ Margaret Mead  US anthropologist

Josey Wales

..Saraspa is a great club and I am so glad we rock n roll up there.. First Sgt! Sureshot, the Mrs., Dakota30, LittleMo Gregch44, MPH_VT....... Thanks for all your efforts....  :bow:

................Great pictures The Mrs............................

.......Strength & Honor..........Josey Wales...............

..I went to the White Plains Gun show Sunday handed out flyers for Hopewell Junction and Trifold Brochures..

..remember folks..... "the eyes of the warrior are always open"...................  :---
..to hell with them fellows, buzzards gotta eat same as worms..

RaggityAnn23

Thanks to everyone who spends so much time putting this event together and conducting it in such a manor that everyone of all ages is excited and learns just so much! Thank you to Gregch44 for all the encouragement and pointers all day  :sos: ! After shooting a 206 on my very first AQT of the day,  ^:)^ (personal highest score), with his guidance I tightened up my standing 10 round target and brought that where it needed to be. I was determined to get that winter seed patch and came so close but I promise next winter seed I will be making it! (Andrew was my motivation partner as we were both wanting it so bad!) Even though I went home with soaking wet pants from being in my rifleman bubble while shooting and not noticing, and frozen toes, it was such a great time!   ;D I will be seeing all of you again in April.

Thanks to Mark (R1sgx2) for being such a great shoot boss, Michelle (Dakota40) for taking care of me when Andrew ejected a burning hot case down my back, Dan (SureShot) for all the instruction on Saturday, and Gregg (Gregch44) for the instruction and motivation each time I came off the line!

And thank you to all the ITT's for their awesome job!  O0

RaggityAnn23

Oh and one other thing! Michelle, i would love to see those cool pictures you took of Casey, Andrew and I on Saturday!  :pop:

Gregch44

Quote from: RaggityAnn23 on February 06, 2012, 06:22:18 PM
Thanks to everyone who spends so much time putting this event together and conducting it in such a manor that everyone of all ages is excited and learns just so much! Thank you to Gregch44 for all the encouragement and pointers all day  :sos: ! After shooting a 206 on my very first AQT of the day,  ^:)^ (personal highest score), with his guidance I tightened up my standing 10 round target and brought that where it needed to be. I was determined to get that winter seed patch and came so close but I promise next winter seed I will be making it! (Andrew was my motivation partner as we were both wanting it so bad!) Even though I went home with soaking wet pants from being in my rifleman bubble while shooting and not noticing, and frozen toes, it was such a great time!   ;D I will be seeing all of you again in April.

Thanks to Mark (R1sgx2) for being such a great shoot boss, Michelle (Dakota40) for taking care of me when Andrew ejected a burning hot case down my back, Dan (SureShot) for all the instruction on Saturday, and Gregg (Gregch44) for the instruction and motivation each time I came off the line!

And thank you to all the ITT's for their awesome job!  O0

Trust me hun, it was my pleasure. You shot very well, and improved in the areas that you focused on. Had we had another day, and you showed up fresh, you would have made Rifleman for sure. You passed your peak when your eyes were fatigued, but still focused in on the things I shared with you, and tightened them up nicely. You just didn't have enough left to put it all together. I'm personally proud of you. Keep up the good work.
Go big or stay home!

Gregch44

This was indeed another fine Appleseed. Very diverse, shooting indoor on Sat, and then out onto the snow for Sun. I'm pleased that the temp allowed us to meet Winterseed requirements, and congratulations to those of you that aquired this elusive patch. Well earned for sure. Can't say enough good things about the great group of shooters that came out to share in this event with us. I thoroughly enjoyed myself. Mark is a great ShootBoss, and delivered another outstanding event, and the group of instructors that I get the priviledge to work with are second to none in my book. It is not hard for me to understand why I do this, Appleseed brings a great group of people together. I'll be looking forward to seeing all you shooters again
Go big or stay home!

Another D.O.M.

Always an outstanding event at SaraSpa.  Thanks to all, instructors and shooters alike, for helping to make this one so.

Congrats to Greg and Sean - you are both top shelf.

Casey - the new stock seems to be the right fit.  Thanks for keeping the rest of that lot in line for me!

Doc Rob stopped at our table at the Albany Gun Show to say hi over the weekend, and then the following day at the Appleseed.  Not sure if he's bucking for a promotion or what, but I'll be keeping an eye on him...

Well done folks.  Very well done indeed!
MJA
"Dark & difficult times lie ahead.  Soon we must all face the choice between what is right, and what is easy."  Dumbledore

Citizen

Another great Appleseed with a great bunch of shooters and another step toward becoming a Rifleman. Thanks to the shoot boss and the instructors who were more than generous with their time, advice and support.

LittleMo

This was another great shoot! Shoot Boss Mark (R1sgx2) and all the instructors did a great job! All attendees got into it and enjoyed and learned lots! 

On Sunday on the right side of the line in the shade, it was a bit....chilly! But the shooters on that side, as well as all the shooters, got into their bubble and applied what they were taught. A Rifleman persist!

The hard packed snow and ice was challenging. Ric persisted and shoveled some lose snow into a depression under his mat to make it more level. (Where did he find lose snow!?) Stuart was in his bubble and doing well despite having Smurf's AR-15 raining shell casing down on him. On the other side of the line, Jessica showed all how to properly safe her rifle before getting up and doing a "happy dance", trying to get rid of that hot .22LR shell casing that went down her back.

Walking was hard, especially on the right side of the firing line where there was a patch of ice. For the shooters on that side, I provided a 2 second unintentional uncoordinated ice skating demonstration for free! :)

Congratulations to the shooters that earned their Rifleman patches! O0   Your journey is not done. Come back again and learn more because a Rifleman never stops learning.

Congratulations to Smurf for taking the Orange hat, and congrats to Gregch44 on your promotion! O0

Thank you all and thank you to SaraSpa! :bow:

Gary

p.s. pictures to follow.
Growing old is mandatory; Growing up is optional!  :)

Marksmanship can be taught and learned,
but the motivation has to be inspired for the
people to become involved.
How many have you inspired that became involved?

http://www.facebook.com/NYSAppleseed
http://www.facebook.com/ProjectAppleseedVermont

LittleMo

Saratoga Feb 4-5 Project Appleseed pictures!

LittleMo

More Saratoga Feb 4-5 Project Appleseed pictures!

R1SGx2

Litttle Mo and The Mrs.,
Nice photos, no photos didn't happen.
What a wonderful weekend thanks to all.
"Eyes of the Warrior - Always open"
"What's the weather got to do with it, lets go."
"Appleseed, where good people come together to save a nation."

The Mrs.

Oh nooooo....the secret is out.  As you can tell from the last picture in LittleMo's last post....everyone will now know what an AS instructor cadre does at the end of a Winterseed.  Yup, we warm up around the fire as the sun sets!!
See with love and truth
Hear with love and truth