News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Santa Barbara, CA February 4-5

Started by Marpat Pippi, February 05, 2012, 11:02:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Marpat Pippi

Pictures to Come

The weather was BEAUTIFUL. ;D I couldn't imaging more perfect weather for Appleseed. Sunny and Clear.  ..:.. ..:.. ..:..Not too Hot, not to cold, popups not needed.  What a great way to spend Superbowl weekend. The sunsets on the way home were stunning as well! :bow:

With 8 Shooters and 5 instructors on Saturday and 9 shooters and 6 instructors on Sunday we had a great instructor shooter ratio!

No complaints on "low attendance", having fewer students gives more one-on-one time with the students. However it boggles my mind that 20+ people have attended an Appleseed in February in the worst pouring and freezing rain storm of the season a year or two ago, backers blowing down, and paper targets falling off the backers because they were soaked with water  and don't come on such a gorgeous day! (I remember Koolaid deeming that Appleseed one of the worst weather he had ever seen).

Toby and Gabriel returned for their second Appleseed and were shooting great! They were great sports, had great perserverance, and enjoyed the sights from on top of their favorite boulder when they needed a break ;) Can't wait until you both make Rifleman and become Instructors in Training :P (so you can boss your youth pastor around). And don't worry, you can still shoot when your Instructor, in fact, we encourage you to do so!

Shawn and Gus , Adriana and Alyssa  all new to rifle marksmanship learned rifle safety, how to properly handle and manipulate the rifles, and all were showing great improvement in their marksmanship skills.

Shawn and Gus heard about Appleseed from a friend. They were both very engaged, and responded well to instruction. Shawn always asked good questions to help clarify information, and although she could not come shoot on Sunday, she returned to hear the Sunday History (What happened to those back up wagons with cannonballs? I just had to know!") and to briefly observe other shooters and to get tips about which rifle she should by and where! We look forward to when you and Gus return with your own rifles!

Adriana came because her boyfriend, Edgar is now an IIT. Its all part of the 7th Step. O0 Watch out Adriana , I started shooting because my husband wanted me too, ^-^ and now I'm a Shoot Boss  :slap: (J/K, about the  :slap:) It was a pleasure to meet you. Your enthusiasm and positive and teachable attitude brought a lot to the event! You also showed the qualities of a Rifleman by adapting to equipment malfunctions and having to change rifles and sight types!

As IIT Debbie indicated, Alyssa is a natural.

Chris heard about Appleseed on Calguns. @@) He was showing some great groups, and is well on the path to being a Rifleman. Another Appleseed or two should do it. He was also a great help cleaning up at the end of the day, assisting in loading the 3 year old backers into our truck so we could take them to the dump! Chris purchased an ROC. We will see him again!

Shawn S heard about Appleseed at Dodge City. He showed up prepared! :--- :--- (A rifleman is always prepared). He had an AR which he could convert from .22 to .223. Shawn was shooting good groups and scoring between 150-185ish. Well on his way to Rifleman for his 1st Appleseed. With his ROC, he will make it! He also adapted when he temporarily misplaced his bullet button tool, and was helpful to all when anyone was in need of a tool.

Thank you to Jeff, Edgar, and Tom, who all shot Rifleman AND took ORANGE HATS  :sos:  :sos:^:)^ at our November event, AND :bow: Donned those hats in true 7th stepping fashion to help out. Thus Santa Barbara was staffed fully with only instructors from Santa Barbara County. ^:)^

Smidge

What a great weekend! Thank You to all the instructors for putting on the event. I really appreciate you all giving your time to the AS. We had a good instructor to student ratio which meant lots of one on one instruction. I had not picked up a rifle except a couple plinking days for at least ten years so this was a perfect way for me to get back into it. We had  two sunny days with light wind and not too hot or cold.  I really enjoyed the history at lunch and the quotes throughout the day. I now have a greater sense of what our forefathers went thru to protect our liberty. I am already signed up for the June AS and hope to bring some buddies and my good friends 14 year old if he cant make it. The difference in my groups from the first red coat to the last was a big improvement. My best AQT was a 189 so I have lots of practice/shooting to do. :---    Thanks O0