News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bedford Contingent, IN Feb 4-5, 2012 PANTS ON FIRE!

Started by SPQR, February 04, 2012, 09:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPQR

Well, I reckon this will be the place holder for the Bedford Contingent shoot.  Saturday came and went, most of it was chock full of opportunities to scorn and laugh at the Shoot Boss.  In between those opportunities we found time to encourage citizenship and marksmanship.  It was raining and cold all day and we froze and wept and suffered, but we did it TOGETHER and that makes us mighty.  We did it together. 

Well, we did it.  Another shoot at the Bedford Contingent in the books and it was a blast.  Thanks to everyone, in particular the Bedford Contingent, for making rain, mud, and fire so much fun.

I also want to thank the Riflemen who persevered and succeeded and those who started the process.  HQ will post some pictures and more to come.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

techres

Umm, did we lose a pair of pants after I left?

You had them when our best Red Hat was doing her instruction:

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

SPQR

Well, uh...this isn't the first time pants have been injured in the filming of these shoots but I think its the first time Stop-Drop-and-Roll had to be applied.  Tater said the flames were as high as my shoulders.  He may have been exaggerating.  He may not.  I think I handled it like a Rifleman ought to.
"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

hawkhavn

Note to self, add fire extinguisher to SB material list.
Criticism is the only known antidote to error.  David Brin

What a nation has done, a nation can aspire to.
Dr. Jerry Pournelle

Throughout history, poverty is the normal condition of man. Advances which permit this norm to be exceeded — here and there, now and then — are the work of an extremely small minority, frequently despised, often condemned, and almost always opposed by all right-thinking people. Whenever this tiny minority is kept from creating, or (as sometimes happens) is driven out of a society, the people then slip back into abject poverty.

This is known as "bad luck."
---Robert Anson Heinlein

"Great things have been effected by a few men well conducted." - George Rogers Clark

"Appleseed is a safe place to learn because they care. They have the confidence and serenity of spring gardeners." 1IV on AR15.com

Chilidog

Well it pains me to report this but today I think I laughed way to much. Tomorrow I will do my best to maintain a straight face. No matter what our shoot boss does. Rats! Fire! Mud! 3 riflemen! 21 superior Americans! What a great day! I cannot wait till tomorrow.
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

TBE

Who do I petition to get SPQR's user name changed to "HotPants"?
Let us therefore animate and encourage each other, and shew the whole world, that a Freeman contending for Liberty on his own ground is superior to any slavish mercenary on earth.  General Washington, July 2, 1776

Bill 3

Quote from: TBE on February 04, 2012, 11:49:37 PM

Couldn't help myself...
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

Orangedotfever

Stopped by the Bedford Contingent on my way to work today with some friends in tow. Wanted to show some future riflemen what to expect from an Appleseed. We were greeted with some of the best hospitality that America has to offer. Lots of mud but the spirits were high and the weather was clearing. Heard that quite a few rifleman scores were posted. Congrats to all. See ya there in April.
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

Western Rose

Quote from: SPQR on February 04, 2012, 10:01:12 PM
Well, uh...this isn't the first time pants have been injured in the filming of these shoots but I think its the first time Stop-Drop-and-Roll had to be applied. 

Wait...... where's the film?!?!  :o

Quote from: Bill 3 on February 05, 2012, 04:42:37 PM

Couldn't help myself...

;D **) O0
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

AuntieBellum

Quote from: Bill 3 on February 05, 2012, 04:42:37 PM

Couldn't help myself...

**) **) **)

You and HQ are quite a matched pair.   ;D

Oh, and hope day 2 was just as exciting as the first!
"Nothing is as strong as the heart of a volunteer."
-Lt. Colonel James Harold "Jimmy" Doolittle, US Army Air Corps, 1942

"You smell like Appleseed." - Rimshot

worksalot

What a great event!! Thanks to everyone involved and the hospitality was awesome. SPQR...I had Taylor in the truck Saturday trying to get her warmed up and missed your pants afire dance...sorta glad i didn't send her with you to get warmed up... catching her on fire would have really upset her mother.
DO IT NOW OR WISH YOU HAD

HQ

Great shoot!  Great people.  Bedford simply does not disappoint! 

It was great working with new instructors and new students!  Thank you for joining us through the sludge on Saturday, I think we can all agree that the SUNSHINE today was a very welcome moral booster!

I'm heading to the covers now, but I'll get some pictures posted tomorrow after work!

Great weekend - see you all again really soon!

techres

Thanks all for such a great time.  The boy had a great time and now he won't let up on buying a Garand with my next paycheck!

Congrats to all the youth shooters, especially our newest 10 year old Rifleman!

Bedford never disappoints. 
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

Uncle Davey

Shot rifleman at Bedford so why not RSO first time there? Chilidog you are the best!  :DH: not beating a dead horse, trying to put out fire on shoot boss pants
Those who stay will be champions. Those who persist will be riflemen.

slim

If not for the necessity of a bulk ammo purchase in preparation for the upcoming RBC, I would've been there to put out the flames... or at least roll on the ground laughing until I cried!

Sounds like you folks kept it consistent with all the good things I've ever heard about Bedford. I will join you soon. Keep up the good work, and keep back from the flames!

mosinguy

Join or Die

GEmanuel

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." — George Washington

"Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it." --Mark Twain (1835-1910)

"A constitution is not the act of a government, but of a people constituting a government; and government without a constitution is power without a right. All power exercised over a nation, must have some beginning. It must be either delegated, or assumed. There are not other sources. All delegated power is trust, and all assumed power is usurpation. Time does not alter the nature and quality of either." ~ Thomas Paine

tater

That was one of the best crowds I've seen yet. No whining about the cold rain on saturday, and came back swinging on sunday. Quality people make it fun.
All right, they're on our left, they're on our right, they're in front of us, they're behind us...they can't get away this time. Lewis B. "Chesty" Puller

SPQR

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Chilidog

It was pointed out on Sunday that we never heard one comment about SPQR's good looks. Note to other ranges, it takes a combination of rats, fire and mud to keep him in check. Another Appleseed problem solved by Applecore!
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

HQ

Now, I must state for the record that there was a reference to SPQR's looks, sorry to disappoint - it takes a lot for him to forget that one!!!

But really, the important part of the weekend was the shooters!

Here is brianheeter giving a great IMC!  Throughout the weekend, shooters got this!  Great job Brian!

I'm pretty sure we have an IIT in the making here during ball and dummy!

Here they are in the standing stage of the AQT!!!

I don't understand why I have a rep for being a strict line boss. ..  .  I'm typically so calm and mild!

Techres gave a great KD

And don't forget our riflemen!

Of course, they all signed the bomb. . .

And where would we be without our youths?

It was an honor working beside all these fine women and men this weekend.  Thank you.

HQ

I would not however want to disappoint Chillidog.  He had so much fun this weekend at SPQR's expense.

In case you were wondering how much work he is going to have on his hands between now and Patriot's Day!

brianheeter

Let's see....  Cold?  Check!  Rain?  Check!  Mud?  Oh yeah, Check!  Awesome shooters!  CHECK!  Flaming Shoot Boss and one scorched shooter? :o   CHECK!!!!!    Another great Appleseed Shoot!  Thanks to everybody...Instructors, Applecore and especially the shooters for making this a great shoot.  I'd been hearing how awesome the Bedford Contingent is and now I have experienced it firsthand.  Definitely going to do that again!  Congratulations to our new Riflemen.  Grab some hats, guys!  I wish I could have been there for the nice weather on Sunday.  Maybe next time....

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

philagothon

What an amazing weekend!  THANK YOU to all the Shooters who came out, persevered, worked hard to improve their marksmanship, and were hopefully inspired to grow in their citizenship.  Riflemen, hurry up and get your hats, we need all the help we can get to save this country!  :sos:

Fellow hatters, it was a pleasure working with you guys.  Applecore, you guys (& gal) are awesome, I have no idea how Appleseed ever got along without you.  Uncle Davey, excellent job for your first shoot.  Brian, great job running the line.  TBE, perfect job on history.  HQ, your heart for the shooters and passion to drive them to be better was great to see.  Techres, excellent presentations all around.  SPQR, you were the hottest Shoot Boss I've ever seen. >:D

Thanks everyone for a great weekend!