News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Questions for first time out

Started by hd76, January 19, 2012, 01:38:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hd76

I am planning on attending the March Appleseed in Dallas, and have a few questions about rifles.  I've looked over what to bring/expect posts, but wanted to hear from someone on a few questions.  We will have 4 people attending, and we are trying to make sure we have enough gear for everyone.  This will be two dads, and their sons (11 and 16).

We will be borrowing a few .22s to make sure everyone has a rifle.  I do not know all of them have a sling, or even sling mounts at this time.  If they do not have sling mounts, I need to make sure it is ok to add them (all rifles belong to close family members).  If we have a rifle without a sling, can it still be used?  If we must have a rifle with a sling, is it practical for two people to share a rifle?

The rifles that we have available are 2x Ruger 10/22s, a Savage Model 15 bolt action/single shot, and a Henry Lever action.  I know something along the lines of the 10/22 are preferred, but are the others too impractical to consider?

Thanks

didactic

Welcome aboard; all will have a grand time!

To give you quick answers to your questions:

It is not practical for two shooters to share a rifle.

A sling is a 99% necessity, if you are to get anything near the maximum out of the instruction.  But slings can be temporarily rigged without making permanent alterations to the rifle.  Here's a link to one way to do it.   http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=32.msg206588;topicseen#msg206588

The Henry lever action, or any other tube-fed rifle, is a little awkward at times but certainly usable.  The whole philosophy of Appleseed instruction is much closer to "run what you brung," rather than "equipment race."

A single-shot bolt .22 is certainly usable, but it's really difficult to complete the rapid-fire (time limited) stages with one.  So a shooter using one can LEARN just as much (which ought to be the main point), although he will not tend to SCORE WELL (much less important, but sometimes a source of frustration).

Anyone who's going to be at this shoot, can you make sure there will be a "loaner" available if needed?  Loaner rifles are often available, if you set it up in advance.

And thanks in advance, Dads, for coming, and even more for bringing the next generation along.
"If not us, who?  If not now, when?"  Ronald W. Reagan

floydf

Hello,

I will be working the March shoot.  Some answers:

a) zip ties make good temporary sling mounts.  I always have a bunch.

b) you will really need a GI web sling.  Usually instructors have extra, but they tend to disappear.  If you were to get a couple from the Appleseed store (they're cheap)  and bring them, you will be a hero, and we can usually get them mounted without permanently scarring the rifles.  If you don't bring slings, normally there will be some extras.

c) you will need two mags for each (mag-fed) rifle to run the course of fire.  Usually there are extra of those as well. But any extra mags you can beg borrow or steal before the shoot will be appreciated.

d) There are normally a good number of loaners.  I will have three for sure (different sorts), and there are almost always other instructors  with loaners (one of the cool things about being an Appleseed instructor is being able to by rifles for other people to use).  When someone is struggling with equipment (and it happens a lot) we can usually get them on a rifle that allows them to progress.

Look forward to meeting ya'll.
"The Second Amendment is a doomsday provision, one designed for those exceptionally rare circumstances where all other rights have failed — where the government refuses to stand for reelection and silences those who protest; where courts have lost the courage to oppose, or can find no one to enforce their decrees. However improbable these contingencies may seem today, facing them unprepared is a mistake a free people get to make only once."

Kozinski, dissent in Silveira v. Lockyer

starfox

PM inbound to expand on what already was said.
"Liberty lies in the hearts of men and women,
when it dies there, no constitution, no law,
no court can save it." - Judge Learned Hand

"Never compromise. Not even in the face of Armageddon . . ." - Rorschach, The Watchmen.

Davilla 3-10

hd76

OK, I think we have the rifles worked out, but I have one more question.  One of the Ruger 10/22s I am borrowing has a TAPCO stock on it (not the one with the quad rail the "standard" one). It has a 1.25 ring on the stock, and a stud on the front that appears oversized.  From what I can find, it is for a clip, rather that a swivel.  I checked on TAPCO's site, and they do not have a similar swivel stud nut.  If there some adaptor I can use?  Should I look at getting a swivel stud that mounts to a picatiny rail for the bottom rail?

Additionally, will the USGI sling clip to the swivel on a T6 stock.  The ring on it looks much thicker that the metal ones I bought for the other Ruger.

Thanks again for the help so far.

Sly223

I think Floyd,mentioned cable ties these are the answer Temporarily!
Then pick your instructors and shootboss brains at the event.9x's outta 10, they will have the item or the answers.
The key is to get out there and not worry about accomplishments the first time just get your feet wet and soak up the Heritage!
Good Luck, to the Old Men,The youngsters have an advantage no bad habits.
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

spitstickler

Quote from: hd76 on February 14, 2012, 03:54:43 PM
OK, I think we have the rifles worked out, but I have one more question.  One of the Ruger 10/22s I am borrowing has a TAPCO stock on it (not the one with the quad rail the "standard" one). It has a 1.25 ring on the stock, and a stud on the front that appears oversized.  From what I can find, it is for a clip, rather that a swivel.  I checked on TAPCO's site, and they do not have a similar swivel stud nut.  If there some adaptor I can use?  Should I look at getting a swivel stud that mounts to a picatiny rail for the bottom rail?

I'd think you could get an HK style 1 1/4 snap hook and that would work but I've never tried it personally.
http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/Snap-Hook-1-25-For-Sling-HK-Style-p1523.htm

The other option is to put a swivel stud through the bottom of the stock. Not the kind with the course threads for wood, but the kind with the finer threads that have a nut on the backside. You'll have to drill a hole for it, but you can epoxy the nut into the inside of the stock (or JB weld) I did one of mine through the plastic guard that covers the bottom picatinny rail.

QuoteAdditionally, will the USGI sling clip to the swivel on a T6 stock.  The ring on it looks much thicker that the metal ones I bought for the other Ruger.

The rear swivel on the Tapco stock is thicker (and plastic IIRC). You have two options. 1) spread the spring clip on the web sling to accommodate or 2) Purchase a M14 rear swivel. It is made out of steel instead of plastic and is the standard size. It will bolt right in as a replacement and the web sling will clip right to it.  http://www.treelinem14.com/M14-M1A-USGI-Rear-Swivel-M14STRS.htm  Numrich has them for sale as well.
"Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work."  -Thomas Edison

Sly223

Looks good to go,
that side attachment with the mention 1/14" hook works fine,
tap under neath more preffered.
Rear clip looks good.
Warning too good of equipment, limits the amount of viable excusses! :slap:
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!