News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

New Smyrna Beach, Jan. 7-8, 2012 AAR

Started by FLawyer, January 09, 2012, 03:44:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FLawyer

I am sure that 9mm4545 will do his usual fine job in describing the totality of the Appleseed Project marksmanship clinic conducted over the weekend.  It was truly rewarding to see so many young people turn out with their parents on Saturday and to watch them persevere and stay focused and attentive throughout the long day of instruction.  Of course, it was great to see so many "repeat" participants from prior events were back to demonstrate the results of their dry practice efforts.  And boy did it show!  The attached photo shows 5 of the newly minted "Riflemen" (and Riflewoman) from the weekend.  Huzzah!  The instructors were truly well paid. 

in Liberty,

FLawyer
All men have been endowed by their Creator with the unalienable right to keep and bear arms.  All we have do is protect it.

Molon Labe!

9mm4545

What a glorious weekend for America! I believe that the spirits of John Adams, Patrick Henry, and Isaac Davis were looking down on the happenings at the Volusia County Gun and Hunt Club this weekend with approval. We had 20 students come out on a beautiful Saturday morning, ready to learn rifle marksmanship and American history. There was a wide range of ages and experience levels represented but all had teachable attitudes and partook of the steady stream of information our able instructors imparted. Mother Nature could not have been kinder to us with clear skies and mild temperatures, at least after a little early morning chilliness. After an initial evaluation with the Redcoat target, we were down to business with the essentials of marksmanship: solid position, six steps, and NPOA. The morning was over in a blur and we heard the telling of the Battle of Lexington while enjoying a quick lunch. In the afternoon we learned and practiced rifleman cadence and fine tuned our sight settings. Rifleman calisthenics, otherwise known as transitions, put muscles to work and the new positions were perfected. A short break was taken while Bill O Rites told of the Battle of Concord and then finally came the fabled AQT--the final exam where everything learned was put to the test. There were several high scores but only Yenny and Jeff made the grade. Congratulations to both of you! The day ended with vast marksmanship improvement but mostly with a renewed sense of what it means to be an American, able to participate in activities forbidden to most of the world.

Sunday saw fewer participants as almost half the weekend participants were Saturday only attendees. But that just left more time for individual instruction for the refinement of marksmanship skills. It must have worked as we saw a remarkable improvement and by the days end we had added another four Riflemen to the ranks of those "who know very well what they are about". Wayne, Mike, Bryan, and Guy all are no longer cooks but now can boast of being Riflemen. Congratulations and well done! Yenny, on the other hand, not only fired a Rifleman score numerous times but in fact turned in the high score for the day, leaving all the boys in the dust. Shoot like a girl--if you can! Points for persistence go to Shane who just would not quit and continued until dark. Alas, the 210 remained just out of reach by only a couple of points. This young man will be a Rifleman and I predict it will be very soon. Other "knocking at the door" efforts were by Sindy and Teresa. Keep up the dry fire at home and earning The Coveted Patch is a foregone conclusion.

To all the instructors (Bill O Rites, Rambo Granny, TomM1Thumb, Douglas34474, 50calTank, FLawyer, 9mm4545) who came out and helped, thank you. There was a whole lot of talent assembled in one place at one time.

My photos are of the Saturday morning Redcoat target (before I got too busy to take pictures). Too bad I didn't take any Saturday afternoon pics as the shooter's forms were much better--as were the targets! I know there were other photos taken so feel free to post them and share.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

9mm4545

For reasons unclear the movie doesn't work so if you were expecting actual moving pictures with sound--sorry.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

MustangAME2

9mm4545 and Crew,

Thanks so much for your dedication and instruction this past weekend. My family and I had a wonderful time. Kristin and I had a great time shooting; more than that, we truly appreciated your patience and instruction with our kids (Chase and Mckenna). Not many Range Bosses would favor having an 11- and 7-year-old under their responsibility. The reception we received was unprecedented with a few staff comments of "...wish we saw more families here..." Last night I picked up a Marlin 795 for Mckenna (she showed up with a bolt Chipmunk), and purchased four RWVA memberships this morning to help ensure our continued 2nd Amendment rights (and our ability to shoot at Appleseed!). The four of us also appreciated your history lessons, and your "pay it forward" mentality.

I sent out a plug to (almost) my entire Outlook address book for The Project. Many of my co-workers were waiting on my personal "after action" report, which I'm hoping convinced them to check it out.

Thanks again for what you are doing,
Greg
"It's better to ask forgiveness than to ask for permission"

Groesbeck

I want to personally thank the instructors. 

My goal was to shoot rifleman at my first appleseed event.  I was able to only achieve a score of 161 on Saturday so I was pretty discouraged when I went home that evening.  I was considering not even going Sunday I was so low.   Like many, I didn't think it would be so hard.

On Sunday morning I did much better on my redcoat.  After tireless coaching from Roy and Frank, who worked my end of the line a lot Sunday, I was finally able to shoot a 205.  I was close.  I watched the instructors score a later target while I was supposed to be listening to a fine course of instruction from Bruce our shoot boss.  After much nodding and double-checking I found out later that it was a 210 target; hence all the discussion.  The end of the day was a little easier for me and I was able to turn in a 215 a little later.

My biggest problem was trigger follow-through.  I got better at quickly confirming my NPOA but trigger follow-through was my last hurdle.  Frank really kept hammering it home after each round with the perfect amount of encouragement. 

You can really tell these instructors have taught hundreds of rifleman.  At the end of the day, I only lacked the shingle from sweeping my redcoat.  Appleseed knows what it is about.
Rifleman (215)
New Smyrna Beach FL Jan 8, 2012
Ruger 10/22 Carbine Tech Sights

9mm4545

It is stories like yours that make it worth all the bother. Learn to shoot--then teach others. The ship is sinking and everyone is requested to help bail. Thanks for coming out.

mac66

9mm4545 and his crew are a rifleman making machine!

Was thinking about you guys on my long drive back to the great (not so white) but cold north last weekend.  Wish I could of been there.

Congrats  to all the Appleseeders who got off their butts and attended that great event.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan

TomM1Thumb

To My Fellow Instructors,  HUZZAH!!  HUZZAH!! HUZZAH!!

We had a great bunch of shooters a good mix of new and return shooters, and one Rifleman(Bryan) Who was at His first Appleseed! This event produced 5 Riflemen and 1 Rifle woman.

But We had at least 4 others Who were knocking at the Door very hard!

It was really Great to see so many family's on the line, This alone will go a long way to continue the Legacy and Heritage of Our Glorious nation. Thank you one and All!

I will try to post a few Pictures later this evening.

" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

NHale

GREAT JOB ALL!!!

Just a little prouder to be an American...

NH
^:)^

Appleseed: Because you never know when the British will come looking to collect back taxes...

Vilke

Thanks to everyone for all of the training and encouragement that I received from all of the instructors.  It took me 3 events but I finally made the score!  I have decided to accept an orange hat and all of the work that goes with it.  I feel that this is a worthwhile cause and it is well worth my time to invest in.  I look forward to working with many of you in the future,

bill o rites

thx Vilke we need all the help we can get. help me put a face to the name .i don t remember a vilke on the line   bill o rites  aka roy newberry :DH:
The hour is fast approaching,on which the Honor and Success of this army depend. Remember officers and soldiers, that you are Freemen, fighting for the blessings of Liberty - that slavery will be your portion, and that of your posterity, if you do not acquit yourselves like men-1776

"If ever a time should come when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in government,our country will stand in need of it's experienced patriots to prevent it's ruin." Samuel Adams,1780

Lord make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true, and my hands faster than those who would seek to destroy me.  Grant me victory over my foes, and those  that wish to do harm to me and mine. Let not my last thought be if I only had my Gun; and Lord if today is truly the day that you take me home, let me die in a pile of empty brass.

Nickle

They have men amongst them who know very well what they are about, having been employed as Rangers against the Indians and Canadians and this country being much covered with wood, and hilly, is very advantageous for their method of fighting. . . . ".  Lord Percy

Sounds like New Englanders to me.

9mm4545

FYI: Vilke=Wayne R.
A NEW RIFLEMAN AND ORANGE HAT! HUZZAH!!

TomM1Thumb

Tired of posting pictures above so i think I will post a few more down here! Who said You can't have fun at an Appleseed. Not Me !

Because there was a whole lot of Well aimed shootimg going on, Huzzah!
" The Constitution shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms. €�  - Alexander Hamilton
"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government."    -- Thomas Jefferson

" The Beauty of The Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it"
Thomas Jefferson

Arms discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property... Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them.

Thomas Paine

mac66

Quote from: Vilke on January 10, 2012, 05:30:26 PM
Thanks to everyone for all of the training and encouragement that I received from all of the instructors.  It took me 3 events but I finally made the score!  I have decided to accept an orange hat and all of the work that goes with it.  I feel that this is a worthwhile cause and it is well worth my time to invest in.  I look forward to working with many of you in the future,

Congrats Wayne.  I knew you could do it.
Status quo, you know, is Latin for 'the mess we're in'.
Ronald Reagan

Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there. Will Rogers

The King has degenerated into a tyrant and forfeits all rights to his subjects' obedience."  Patrick Henry, 1765

Motivation?...The best solution to morale problems is to kill all the unhappy people  Ghenghis Khan