News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Myakka City, FL December 17,18 2011 - AAR

Started by ItsanSKS, December 20, 2011, 08:12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ItsanSKS

After Action Report for Myakka City, FL
December 17,18 2011.
Manatee Gun and Archery Club

Instructors Present:
Shoot Boss - ItsanSKS
Instructor - Sly223
IIT's - pikid89, douglas34474, Heimdhal

Saturday morning, as the sun was just creeping over the horizon, 19 brave souls peeled themselves off the couch to become more proficient marksmen, some not knowing what, exactly, they were in for.  Attending on the recommendation of friends and family, they simply got their gear together, signed up online, and showed up bright and early on Saturday.

The weather was brisk, with a bite to the wind that reminded us all that it was, indeed, December. 

As our students were taught the Four Safety Rules, and introduced to the line commands, I was silently measuring each of them up.  Attentive?  Interested?  Awake?  Yes, Yes and Yes.  This was going to be a great day! 

After ensuring that everyone was familiar with who we, as Appleseed Instructors were, and what we had intended for them throughout the weekend, we released them back to their vehicles to retrieve their rifles.  A few short minutes later, and they were introduced to the Hits Count! target, affectionately known as the "Red Coat" target. 

The Hits Count! target is used by Project Appleseed as an evaluation target; firing three rounds each at targets simulating a 'red coat' at 100-400 yards, leaving a single shot for the 'shingle shot', for a total of thirteen rounds- in honor of the original Thirteen Colonies.  This exercise was undertaken without any instruction whatsoever.  The results from our students first attempt at this target was less than stellar.  Fewer than 50% were effective at a minimum distance of 100yds!  Seeing that our students were in desperate need of a marksmanship makeover, we let loose with the fire hose of marksmanship instruction. 

Their first lesson? The fundamentals; how to use a sling for support, the Steady Hold Factors for the prone position, Natural Point of Aim, and the Six Steps to firing a shot.  After this solid dousing, they then began engaging what would become their nemesis for the better part of the day: 4 MOA squares! 

As the day progressed, groups shrank significantly.  By lunchtime, many of our students were already achieving a respectable 5 MOA group.  Not bad, considering the less than stellar 'patterns' they had displayed on the Red Coats...

During lunch, Sly223 regaled us with a stirring rendition of the 1st Strike of The Match.  Sly223 performed excellently, relating the true events of April 19th, 1775.  The students were spellbound as they were taken back some 236 years, and thrust onto Lexington green with Captain Parker and his men. 

As the Regulars shouted their "Huzzahs" and made their way off toward Concord, our students were snapped back to the present day. 

Next up on the agenda?  Seated positions & Rifleman's Calisthenics.  An audible groan was heard as the instructors demonstrated what our students were expected to accomplish.  Many muttered under their breath, "I don't bend that way!".  Oh, but they would, and we made sure that they did.  Belts loosened, muscles agonizing, they did it. 

As a form of temporary reprieve from the torture transitions, our students were allowed a brief respite from the pain, and were treated to the Second Strike of the Match; learning about the engagement at the North Bridge.  With the resounding clash of arms still echoing in their minds, our students were once again called back to the line, this time to try their hands at the Standing position.

Seems most everyone does fairly well with the standing position, but we instructors worked closely with our students, molding them like clay, slowly prodding them into the most stable position they could achieve. 

After practicing this position for a while, it was time for the revered, but equally dreaded, Appleseed Qualification Test. 

With the sun beginning to sink behind the berms, hundreds of rounds went down range in but a few short minutes.  Standing, Seated and Prone positions were put to the test.  Magazine changes and transitions added for a little seasoning.  Unfortunately, our students valiant efforts were not up to the task, though many showed great promise. 

With only but a few moments of actual daylight left to us, our students were given a second chance at the Red Coats.  Having learned how to achieve a proper prone position, how to establish NPOA, and how to shift it between silhouettes, those red coats didn't stand a chance!  As the smoke settled and the scores tallied, the targets proved what we instructors had already known; these students had caught on quick!  We were now well past 80% qualification rate, with a few qualifying at 400 yards!   Some of our students, who could barely hold 'minute of target backer' that very morning, were already solid 200yd shooters.  Outstanding effort, and a willingness to learn is all it takes!

Prior to packing everything up for the evening, our students got to hear 'the rest of the story'- The Third Strike of the Match.  Our students learned of the great sacrifices our founding generation made, and the consequences that they faced because of the choices they had made. 

With the sun now quite gone, our students were left to pick up brass and trash in the dark..  A few flashlights came out, but so did the mosquitoes.  Fearing an onslaught was oncoming, I dismissed the group, with an admonishment to return bright and early, as we hoped to get an early start...

I will leave the telling of Day Two to someone else- whomever wishes to do so, may. 

I regret that I was unable to take pictures at this event, but I do know that Pikid89 took some with his phone.  If any of our students took pictures, please post them up! 

Feel free to provide your own commentary on how this event went- we instructors are always looking for constructive criticism, as we hope that our next event will be even better than this one!
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

pikid89

I had an awesome time at this shoot, and I hope that everyone else did as well

Everyone shooter on that line is a true patriot and are part of the few that are working to change this nation.

Congratulations to Michael, our newest Rifleman, and to everyone else, be sure to get to another Appleseed event for another dose of our country's history and another shot at the patch

Here is but a few of the pictures from the weekend, but for the rest visit my photobucket here
http://photobucket.com/MyakkaAppleseedDec2011

ItsanSKS giving the Third Strike

The Firing Line

Rifleman's Calisthenics

Our fearless Shoot Boss and Red Hat, ItsanSKS, and Orange Hat Heimdhal in the background

Prone Position on the fabled AQT

Happy Shooters between AQT's

The "Fun" AQT

Our Young Patriots

Our new Rifleman, Michael, getting the traditional dousing after sneaking in a respectable 210 on one of the final AQT's

Our new Rifleman taking some shots with ItsanSKS's beautiful PSL

Sly223

I had a great time Saturday. Thank you all for comming out!
My third horse in the third race was Micheal,
Thanks for not letting me down.
Weather , students ,cadre, everything was perfect!
Thanks to all, ^:)^
210- did he get the Bath?
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

pikid89

^ you bet he did, check out the pictures haha

9happykids

We had such a great time and are looking forward to attending again- very soon!  A huge round of applause to all the instructors.  You guys are the best and we appreciate all you have taught us history and skill.  Our kids are still excited about everything they experienced over the weekend.  Thanks again for a great family fun outing!  Our younger children can't wait to be mature enough to experience the weekend for themselves!  God bless!

Sly223

What a fresh breath of Patriot Air,
you and yours brought to our event.
I look forward to seeing your Six year old, on the line tell Dominic to keep him Straight.
Remember No age limit,
Just a maturity level,
and some adults, do not have it,
But are allowed on our line provided no safety issues.
Meeting your family was a wonderful experience,
all the instructors agreed that,
Those of you that were on the line,
were the types of people that keep us doing what we are doing!
Okay, Joe, Tony, Richard,Carolina,Hannah,Rydell,Brigett,Jake,Cale,Steve,& JR,Megan, Deb,Zack, Jeff,Catlyn,Dominic,and Micheal,Steve, Lets hear from you folks and if I forgot Anyone Be sure to Chime in!
"Smoakin'2" IBC11/12
"Plattka 3-12"(IBC)FL
What have you done for this program lately?
IBC-Tampa 8,'10
RBC-"Myakka12'10"RCR
C-1, Do-1, Teach many!
"Run all you want, you'll just die tired"!
There is U.S. & there is Dems!

Heimdhal

This event couldnt have pleased me more.  Being so far away from all the shoots, I havent worked an event in longer than I care to admit.  I am GRATEFUL, truly, that I attended this one.

The line was a lot of new shooters and a lot of YOUNG shooters, all of which preformed exceptionally well.  Even through the second day, when the fatigue was noticably settling in even the youngest among the crowd didnt miss a beat, NEVER complained and smiled from ear to ear the whole day.

It was really exactly what I wanted to see at an Appleseed, exactly what Appleseed is all about and the whole weekend went off without a hitch.

Congrats to Michael again on getting his patch, he fought hard for it and it was well earned.

Pikid89, it was great to finaly meet you in person and I know our Florida Chapter will be better for having you around.

Some Guy

first - let me say thanks to the instructors at the event - i know the effort it takes when you volunteer for an organization, and please know it is very much appreciated.. even though you may not hear thanks for everything.

my story? well i found out about appleseed on a couple gun forums and figured this would be a nice way for me and my son to get out and throw some lead at paper. i was happily surprised that i got much more out of it. the history lessons were just a simple reminder of what many of us have taken for granted in our day to day lives. and though the shooting is what brought most of us (well at least me) to the event, the time with my son was great. i only wish he werent feeling sick on sunday. im sitting at my computer - sick today - but im very much looking forward to my next event.

my son came to the event with what ended up being and early christmas present - and though he was at first slightly discouraged trying to learn the proper sight picture for the rifle - he spent the whole ride home telling me how much fun he had and how much he learned. he will be back.

i now have a shopping list - a sling of my own - something to replace the stock 10/22 sights - comfortable mat  (thanks for the loaner eric) - and heavy duty painkillers for the end of day 1 :) i not only hope to bring these items to the next shoot - but i also plan on bringing a friend or two who took a flyer from me and i have given some of the info to my sons boy scout troop - hoping to spread the word for this great program... and who knows - my wife even said she wants to show up.  ;)

Journey to Rifleman

Some Guy

one more thing i will add - its so different from sitting at a bench at the range - nice rest for the rifle - unlimited time to take shots on target - makes you realize that shooting is more than punching out the bullseye - and being able to do this from different positions makes it much more challenging...

when i showed my friend the target - then told him what we had to do for each phase of the AQT.. i think he had a little more respect for what you actually do for us. thanks again
Journey to Rifleman

ItsanSKS

Quote from: Some Guy on December 22, 2011, 08:20:59 PM
first - let me say thanks to the instructors at the event - i know the effort it takes when you volunteer for an organization, and please know it is very much appreciated.. even though you may not hear thanks for everything.

While I may have said, at the event, that we instructors do not get paid for our services, I lied.  Yep, 100% fabrication.  You see, statements like the above, in addition to the hearty handshakes and permanent smiles, are payment enough.   Many thanks to the students, without whom this would all be for naught.   I was paid in full at this event.

-ItsanSKS
"Those who would trade an ounce of liberty for an ounce of safety deserve neither."

"To save us both time in the future... how about you give me the combo to your safe and I'll give you the pin number to my bank account..."

Some Guy

my 1 christmas request - no more FUN AQT's.... :)  :wb:
Journey to Rifleman

ItsanSKS

Awww, but they were sooo FUN!

Hopefully everyone took something away from that exercise.  It is easy to vote, and claim that you have done your part, but if you vote for something, ignorant to the truth, then what are you really voting for?

deigh

Awesome weekend!  My rifle is now in Colorado getting a well deserved new barrel and a ton of other shoot straight stuff.  I'll get her back in about 8 weeks with a tube that won't bend.  I'll get my patch next time out, believe it.

Thanks for a safe and enjoyable weekend, fellas.

As a giveback to the team, I have made contact with an outdoor range owner/operator here in the Ft. Lauderdale area who would love to host an event(s). 

Send me and email and let's work out the dates.

WooHoo!