News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coarsegold, CA - Dec 10-11, 2011

Started by Mr Pete, December 12, 2011, 11:44:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mr Pete

From the moment we walked on to the range we knew this would be a great event.  The Sun Mountain Gun Club was beautiful, immaculate and friendly.  Range owner Richard's hospitality impressed us from the start and we set up not knowing what to expect.

I can't say there were any highlights from this event since it was all great...every moment.  Appleseed instructors are tasked to inspire but I can honestly say that I was inspired by our students.  From Evan and (father) Peter to the entire Lynch clan they all impressed me with their character.

Justin and I were joined by TowedJumper to kick off this shoot.

After a morning of hard work we ended with Redcoats the same results as when we started.  Fatigue and equipment problems were among the issues we faced.  Kudos to our youngest shooter Evan who struggled and struggled.  Though tired and sometimes frustrated he always maintained his enthusiasm and politeness.  Just before Sat PM Redcoats he took hot brass to the belly.  Hurt, crying and tired he maintained muzzle control and asked for help...something some adults fail to do.  I would welcome him back to any shoot!

One would have thought that the entire Lynch family were Instructors in Training as they absorbed lessons with a focus I rarely see in any one person much less an entire family.

Justin and I brought all our experience to bear and tag teamed everything including the Saturday closing.

Sunday Redcoats were slightly improved as we all shook off Saturday's fatigue and we launched into it with two new shooters.  With patience and politeness beyond their years Caleb and Joshua waited their turn to shoot while everybody was having fun around them.  That didn't stop them from helping out when they could and being involved.  While I like to talk about family and community the Lynchs were the living embodiment of it all.  By the end of the day everybody was much improved.

While we were challenging the shooters we also challenged ourselves.  In an impressive display of marksmanship Justin (with his Savage bolt-action) scored a 221 on an AQT...from standing.  We're always encouraged to hone our own skills...Justin is keeping his razor sharp!

So many memorable moments...
Rebekah is an amazing shot with even more amazing form and discipline.  It was not uncommon to for me to see her targets with 3 shot groups smaller than a dime!  Is an orange hat in her future?!?  <hint hint>

As I said there, the only reason I was riding Aaron was because he had such potential.  He easily hit the 160s even when he was fooling around, if he could only get over dragging wood and that support hand death grip.

Daniel (AKA Carlos) was in the 180s and did well with Justin's scoped boltie.  He did seal the fun shoot win, but it was pretty cheezy as he didn't actually shoot the last golf ball.

Dad did well even with stock Ruger sights and Aaron's ribbing.  With that many children he definitely could turn on that "Rifleman's Bubble" at will.

New shooters Caleb and Josh impressed me with their self-control and patience.

Redcoat Stats:

Sat AMSat PMSun AMSun PM
Bonus1112

Thanks to the Lynchs and Reillys for the motivation
Thanks to TowedJumper (for his invaluable help) and my partner in crime Justin for the means.
Thanks to range owners Richard and Kim for the Opportunity.

I can honestly say that this shoot was an unexpected early Christmas gift that warmed my soul.  Who-so-ever wants to be inspired should make it out to the Coarsegold range and work a shoot.

-Peter
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mr Pete

Pics
"You will recognize your own path when you come upon it, because you will suddenly have all the energy and imagination you will ever need." – Jerry Gillies

Mr Pete

Pics 2

Mr Pete

Pics 3

Justin

Some Pictures:

The Banner

Awarding the Luther Blanchard Patch to Posterity

Learn to shoot today, teach to shoot tomorrow.

"Post Green Coats, side by side, 1 6 inches higher than the other."

A Portrait of an American Family

Jingle Bells, Shotgun Shells.....

"Le médiocrité est l'ennemi de la parfaite." -

"We have too many high sounding words, and too few actions that correspond with them" - Abigail Adams

California Appleseed
http://www.facebook.com/pages/California-Appleseed/203137793037851

Johnnyappleseed

Nice pic's
Thanx for sharing . bet this venue takes off  O0
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

TowedJumper

I don't know if I can volunteer for single days any more. Its so hard not to do that second day when once you get to know great people like showed up for this shoot.  So great to see a group of younger folk so interested in learning history and shooting skills.

Mr. Pete and Justin, thanks for letting me assist and thanks even more for driving all the way up and lending your time to make this all possible.

Justin if there is anybody who can wrangle a Mosin into ringing steel at the Piru 1K, it would be you.  Good luck!
"American parachutists -- devils in baggy pants -- are less than 100 meters from my outpost line. I can't sleep at night; they pop up from nowhere and we never know when or how they will strike next. Seems like the black-hearted devils are everywhere."  -- Entry from a German Officer's diary captured during the battle of Anzio

Jump footage (generic youtube, not mine) http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2DZPIGhL3bY&feature=related