News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Waco, GA Dec 10-11, AAR

Started by cadman, December 12, 2011, 11:11:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cadman

A great Appleseed for the hardier of Georgians.  It felt cold, but of course that may be because I now come from Alabama.  Does everyone know that almost all the instructors camped at the range and woke to frost Saturday and Sunday? It was below freezing when they got up!!!

It was a pleasure to work with everyone and so many that were eager to learn about our heritage and marksmanship.  We look forward to seeing you return having received your first taste of what Appleseeds are about.

A lot of hard work was done, but even that couldn't warm things up.  The hard work did show as great improvement of marksmanship.  I'm certain everyone feels they left with more skill than when they arrived.  I encourage all to find a friend or two to shoot with, share some of what you learned and both of you come to another Appleseed. 

Remember that you don't have to go to a range to practice as some of the best (and least expensive) practice can be done in your own home -- it is called dry firing.

May we always leave things better than we found them.  You deserve a big thank you for the assistance in cleaning up at the end of the day.  It was a real help and appreciated by both the instructors and the range owners.  So, THANK YOU!

And finally, as your forefathers provided a heritage to you, embrace it and begin to sow good seeds for your posterity!

Goodbye until we meet at another Appleseed.

CADMAN

cswhitfield

Thank you to all who came.  The weather, especially Saturday, was a bit challenging with freezing temps and high winds.  A big thanks again to the West Georgia Youth Range for hosting us!  Your support is fantastic and very much appreciated.  Below are a few pictures.  I will post more as time permits.

csw
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

cswhitfield

A few more pics.  Thanks again to all of the participants who did such a great job helping to clean up after the event.
... what counts ... is not the rounds we fire, the noise of our bursts nor the smoke we make.  ... it is the hits that count.

cswhitfield

a few more.

cswhitfield

some more

cswhitfield

Congrats to our newest Rifleman!

last two

franklinfarmer

Thanks to cadman for getting this started; I knew I was going to be out of town for a couple days immediately following the shoot.

It was a delight to work with a group of tenacious young shooters and we saw great interest in the heritage as well as good progress in marksmanship.

We had a pretty biting wind---for which Craig holds me personally responsible due to earlier smug comments about always having good weather (non-challenging) in Waco.  OK, OK, so I've learned my lesson.  Waco offered some challenging weather this time.

Our one expert level shooter (Billy) was consistently shooting in the 230's at an indoor range and found that the demands of shooting outside in the cold under field conditions brings additional challenges.  He squeaked by with a 214---only one qualifying score out of a number of AQTs.  We hope he comes back to reconfirm and maybe help us out as an instructor.

Also Dennis should cross over the line next time...though the "ballerina trigger foot" captured in the photo above might prove too embarrassing for a lesser man. 

We hope some shooters can record their impressions below.  Remember, your criticism allows us to improve.  So tell us what we did wrong and what we need to keep doing.
It is certain, I think, that the best government is the one that governs least. But there is a much-neglected corollary: the best citizen is the one who least needs governing. The answer to big government is not private freedom, but private responsibility.

--Wendell Berry, "The Loss of the Future" in The Long-Legged House  (1969)

The problem is not Democrats.  The problem is Republicans who lack the intellectual clarity to become libertarians and libertarians who lack the physical discipline to become riflemen.  ---Kenneth Royce