News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Dublin, Georgia AS Dec. 11-12

Started by DrJohn, December 12, 2011, 03:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DrJohn

We began the Dublin, Georgia AS with clear skies and very moderate temperatures for mid-December. We began with a particularly excellent presentation of the First Strike by Ramblinwreck. After shooting our first Hits Count! target, we used the accelerated format and taught Sling Use and Steady Hold Factors in prone, Natural Point of Aim, and the Six Steps, all in one block. The we went on to extensive practice of the squares targets, with modules on Rifleman's Cadence, Talking Targets and Inches-Minutes-Clicks. During lunch, we heard another fine presentation by Ramblinwreck on the Second Strike. Then we went on to Steady Hold Factors in sitting and kneeling, transition to sitting / kneeling, and finally standing or offhand Steady Hold Factors. Afterward we shot AQT targets, and finished with the Third Strike and our last Saturday Hits Count! target. Saturday evening we were most gratified to award three Rifleman patches, to Ben W., Mark T., and Lee W. John C. had actually scored 210 Saturday afternoon, but an oversight in scoring resulted in his not being recognized until the following day. We were also pleased to award three Young Patriot patches to Andrew, Cam, and Brack.

Sunday dawned clear, but quickly turned to totally overcast , cold, and windy. Still, the persistence and mental toughness of our students was remarkable. We never heard a word of complaint about when we would break to go to the warm clubhouse, or even saw a student leave early because it was unpleasantly cold. We reviewed all we had learned the previous day, and then did Ball and Dummy before we began the "AQT grind". We did break to the clubhouse for lunch, where we learned the fundamentals of shooting a centerfire at actual distance. After more AQT targets Sunday afternoon, we finished by taking our rifles out to 100 yards (most of the students brought .22 rifles), and the students shot a sighter group with unchanged sight settings before we went downrange to check our targets and using the principles of IMC, made appropriate sight adjustments. This instructor was amazed to see that the students actually did better at 100 yards, in wind, than many had done at 25 yards in calm conditions the day before. We awarded one more Rifleman patch Sunday, in addition to John C., and that was to Bob M. We awarded five Rifleman patches over the course of the weekend, but there were any number of students "knocking on the door", including Mark, Mandy, Andrew, and Cam, all of whom were attending only their second Appleseed event. But Mandy related that although she and her family had learned much marksmanship, the real value she saw in Appleseed was teaching the history and heritage. That, and the fact we had a safe shoot, made it a completely successful event and I shall look forward to returning to Dublin again soon.
"It is an indispensable duty, my brethren, which we owe to God and our country, to rouse up and bestir ourselves, and, being animated with a noble zeal for the sacred cause of liberty, to defend our lives and fortunes, even to the shedding of the last drop of blood....

Wolfpack Mark

Great job by Dr. John and his team! Everyone learned a lot and a great time was had by all. I am proud to be a new orange hat!  THANKS!
Wolfpack Mark

Ramblin' Wreck

Regan (no screen name yet) and I had a great time. I was impressed not only with the number of new Riflemen who qualified but the really impressive shooting improvement in everyone who attended and in the enthusiastic response to the history. We look forward to going back to Dublin next year. By then Regan will be 13 and be the proud owner of an orange hat.

Ramblinwreck
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

ringowrangle

Dr.John,Ben ,and Mark,,I regret not being able to attend om Sunday but I did have a good time and look forward to many appleseeds and earning my rifleman's patch...Although I did not shoot well I left The range Saturday having made new friends and learned valuable marksmanship skills that I am already putting to practice but most importantly I left Saturday carrying with me the Liberty torch and a passion to spread the message about freedom,appleseed and how we can preserve our heritage.  Mark I will be joining your shooting Club.

Regards,
Richie

Ramblin' Wreck

It was great meeting you Richie. We may see you again at the next event in Dublin. I may have a different color hat by then.  ;)
"If ever a time should come, when vain and aspiring men shall possess the highest seats in Government, our country will stand in need of its experienced patriots to prevent its ruin."  ― Samuel Adams

KD Requal Huntsville 11/13/22 with scoped Service Rifle 47/50
25m Requal 2/1/2020 with AR15 scored 247
25m Requal 4/17/2021 with .22 bolt gun - 237
61 KD and UKD events run/worked as of 1/18/22

You can't miss fast enough to qualify.

Without a heritage every generation starts over.

Beware an old man who still shoots iron sights.

"War is when your Government tells you who the enemy is. Revolution is when you figure it out for yourself" - unknown

brianf31

Great shoot at a great club! The shooters were enthusiastic, very safe and seemed to enjoy the history.

We had some skilled shooters on the line, with one scoring a 249 out of a possible 250, and another had a perfect score on the 4th stage (prone). Others soaked up the instruction and improved dramatically. It always warms my heart to see the young patriots at Appleseeds, and the ones at this shoot were just all around great kids.
"Nevertheless, to the persecution and tyranny of his cruel ministry we will not tamely submit -- appealing to Heaven for the justice of our cause, we determine to die or be free."

― Joseph Warren

Savage 19

Brack and I enjoyed ourselves tremendously! All the instructors and assistants were patient and clear with their instruction.  We camped Friday and Saturday nights, and I cannot fail to complement the Range also.  Well thought out! with and very nice clubhouse!  We will be back for the next shoot, God willing.  And I WILL work on stretching and shooting positions before we come back.  Thank God for Celebrex!

Morpheus

What a great weekend we had in Dublin! I too want to thank Mark and the members of MGGOA for the use of their excellent facilities. I know the shooters were making compliments as well. And speaking of the shooters, what a great group to be around! It was rewarding to see so much information being absorbed so well and put into practice. The great rifleman scores told the tail and the number of other shooters knocking on the door was exciting as well. Dryfire!! Dryfire!! It will happen!

It was truly an honor to be a part of this instructor cadre. Ramblinwreck did a great job telling us about the three strikes. He set a high standard for an IIT in becoming a RH. If I can do half as well when my turn comes I will be thrilled.

Another shoot at Dublin can't come fast enough. Thank you all for getting off of the couch and making this Appleseed one of the best ever for me.

Steve
"The liberties of a people never were, nor ever will be, secure when the transactions of their rulers may be concealed from them." Patrick Henry
"We have to pass the bill so you can find out what is in it." Nancy Pelosi (and Paul Ryan, kinda)