News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Slippery Rock, PA Oct. 22-23, 2011

Started by EZ3, October 23, 2011, 10:42:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ3

So, what do you get when you mix a beautiful autumn weekend with sixteen Americans eager to learn and one of the finest sportsman' clubs in western PA?  An awesome Appleseed weekend!

First, thanks to Slippery Rock Sportsman's Club for hosting, and to the members who donated their time to serve lunch Saturday and Sunday.  Also, thanks to Sgtrock, MrHappy, and Tuscarora for "border-raiding".  It was a safe and successful event because of the quality of the instructor cadre. 

Finally, thanks to the patriotic folks who chose to spend their weekend absorbing some American heritage and rifle marksmanship instruction.  On Sunday, we discovered among us three who "knew well what they were about".  Evelyn (215), Ralph (235!!), and Chuck (212!  persistence pays!) applied the fundamentals to earn the coveted but elusive Rifleman patch.  To tell "the rest of the story" though, once Chuck earned the patch and the (self-imposed) pressure was off, he went on to shoot 228.  Ev dedicated her patch to her daughter, an Appleseed Rifleman who is serving in Afghanistan.  Ev went on to shoot a 234.

Several others were shooting very well, with a couple on the threshold, but the weekend is only so long, and we could only fit so many AQT's into this autumn  Sunday.  I don't know if there is such a thing as a "perfect" Appleseed, but I can't imagine one any better than this.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

sgtrock

This was indeed a great weekend to appleseed, and to be at a place like Slippery Rock is just as nice as can be, this club is by far one of the friendliest clubs around and it is in PA, an absolute beautiful area of of this state.
With a sold out event on Saturday and a couple of walk ins on sunday to take the places of some shooters that could not make it back for sunday the line was full all weekend long, This shoot was just like family at a picnic great people to be with, and funny too.
The improvement of the shooters this weekend was awesome to say the least, with Saturday morning redcoats showing the typical results of most events but by sunday morning it was hard to keep track of the hands raised when counting up the results of the redcoat targets, we had some very impressive shooting with everyone scoring hits that they did not do the day before, Our designated sniper Joel had some fun being able to shoot various rifles.
I would love to have back on this line everyone that came out, it was
that good.
Congratulations to our Riflemen of the weekend, Ev, Ralph, and Chuck Outstanding, all of them being previous appleseeders put it all together.
With the weather being perfect compared to last week in this area, it could not have been better, Thank you Pennsylvania and Slippery Rock Sportsman Club for letting me come to your state to help out. Thank you to the instructors EZ3, MrHappy, and Tuscarora for making the job easy,
Stay alert folks I believe we have Lewistown event coming up, that is a 1000yd range, and it is in beautiful Pennsylvania as well another great place to appleseed, Hopefully some pictures can be put up from this event, I have some but am unable to post them at this time.

Will add more later
sgtrock

Charles McKinley

Thanks again to SRSC for hosting such a great event and the wonderful instruction of EZ3, Sgt. Rock, Mr Happy, and Tuscarora!

On stage 4 of the AQT I first scored Rifleman on this huge head and BOOMING voice appeared besid me saying FOLLOW THROUGH!!!!!   &)   ~~:) After I jumped out of my skin I setteld in held the trigger back and eeked out a 212.  Thank you Sgt. Rock.  ;D

I special mention goes out to Spanner for working with me on my position last month and getting me into a loop sling.

Warning to all take pictures the first day as there may not be a second.  My daughter was most unhappy that she was sick and could not come back on Sunday.  I'm sure she will get back to see all her favorite instructors again.  My oldes will be back next shoot as well.  I hope to have them up to AQT speed by spring.  If they hear Sgt. Rock talk about the youngest instructor in NY at his range I may be eating my words and hauling little orange hats around the tri state area.

I was most pleased with my little Mossberg 801 Plinkster Half-Pint bolt action that I shot the 228 with.  I will get a full review up soon.

Thanks to EZ3 I was able to try out Tech Sights and may have to learn them as well.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

Charles McKinley

EZ3, Sgt. Rock, Mr. Happy and Tuscarora,

Dare I let my daughters see this?
http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/index.php?topic=25680.0

Or burry it deep?

If they see it you know they will want to do it.
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

MrHappy

Yes indeed another fine weekend at Slippery Rock Sportsmans Club. How could I resist the drive? It's truly one of my favorite ranges. Especially when it is safe from Zombies and large spiders due to young Colleen's efforts! I hope you and Charlotte are feeling better.
Open and teachable hearts were the defining qualities of the weekend. Well done Ev, Chuck and Ralph for winning your patch. Pity the days are so short in October, a couple more AQTs and we would have added to their ranks. However a Rifleman endeavors to persevere. Work those fundementals and you will improve.
It was great working with SgtRock and Tuscarora, I'll be sure to stage a raid on New York next season. It goes without saying  (but I'll say it anyway) it's always a pleasure to work with EZ3. We're sort of AppleSeed's very own Abbott & Costello (lost on folks under 50). EZ3 I'll see you in Dec., pray for snow!!
And THANK YOU again Slippery Rock Sportsmans Club!!
Give me Liberty or give me Death
Slaves don't dream of being free. Slaves dream of being Masters ~ August Stetten

EZ3

Stand,

Wait until spring.  I'd hate to hear Colleen ruin her vocal cords if the weather is as nasty as I HOPE it will be in December!  I've got a lot of blue Rifleman patches looking for new homes.   >:D

MrHappy,

Who's on first?   ;D

EZ3

Did somebody ask for pictures?

Here's the whole crew on a beautiful fall day.

Travis keeping a sharp eye out for safety violations.

Ev dedicates her patch to her daughter

Ralph scores big!

Chuck breaks thru the glass ceiling!

Team 3 makes a star disappear!

Our Young Patriots (with Chuck accepting for Colleen)

Trent and Joel doing some early Christmas shopping. (Dad, can I have one?)

sgtrock

A few late pictures from this shoot,,,

A father and 2 sons on the line

The left side of the line and MrHappy

and a full view of the line w/ Chuck helping his daughter with ear pros

Well this was one fine shoot at Slippery Rock, PA with EZ3 keeping a watchful eye on the students