News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Beaver Falls, PA December 10-11, 2011

Started by EZ3, December 11, 2011, 10:59:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

EZ3

First, thanks to Beaver Valley Rifle and Pistol Club for hosting Project Appleseed for the third year.  There were many positive comments about the facility by students and instructors, even on a frozen December weekend!

Second, my personal and heartfelt thanks to all who participated in such challenging conditions!  The low point of my time with Appleseed was the event at BVRPC last December, when we set up a shoot, and NOBODY CAME!

What were the "low points" of this event?  Well, the temps were LOW.  Both days started in the teens, and the "high" for both days was 31 degrees!  The sun was "low", it never cleared the treetops on the ridge we use for a backstop.  The range was in shade all weekend!  (Can we make that happen next summer, when it's 90-some degrees out?)

Other than that, it was pretty much all high points.  Saturday morning started with Stand accepting an orange hat.  He thought long and hard in making the choice between "orange " and "blue", and I believe the events of this weekend proved that he made a wise choice.  Stand was actively engaged with the students all day Saturday, got in some trigger time Sunday, earned a Winterseed patch, and volunteered to do "Dangerous Old Men".

Another high point Saturday was the arrival of Gumby.  He wasn't wearing his orange hat, but he DID bring Donna, Rebecca, and John.  Way to 7th Step, Gumby!

Michael, Janna, Robert, David, Burt, and Ev also came to share in a weekend of American Heritage and Marksmanship, and MrHappy ran another border raid and got stuck with most of the talking through the weekend, as I started losing my voice near the end of the 9AM Safety Briefing on Saturday!  Thanks MrHappy.

Some might say that the high point of Sunday morning was Ev arriving with donuts.  Actually, having her and Stand earn their Winterseed patches on the first AQT of the day was only SECOND on my "hit list" for the day.  First place for high points goes to Robert, for earning his Winterseed patch on the last AQT of the weekend.  His first experience with a rifle was the Beaver Falls Appleseed in October, and he has overcome some challenges to earn his patch in only TWO weekends!  He asked me to pass along thanks to Stand for working with him.

Events like this one are the "payoff" for Appleseed volunteers.  I consider it an early Christmas present from all who participated.  Thank you very much, and Merry Christmas!
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy

ev

It was great to see so many people on a cold weekend, 2 weeks before Christmas, training as riflemen.  All demonstrated perseverance working with cold fingers and numerous ammo and magazine malfunctions.  Stand did a fantastic job as an orange hat helping 2 shooters with new scopes that were way off to get sighted in ASAP! EZ3 was a polished Shoot Boss running an efficient and varied line of fire utilizing the 25 meter and 200 yd. ranges.  MrHappy gave an unforgettable presentation of the events at Lexington and Concord.   
I'll be planting seeds in friends and other gun clubs for Appleseed 2012.

MrHappy

Yes, it was cold full true!! What a stout group of patriots to endure that cold. Makes me think of the patriots at the battle of Trenton. Huzzah³ to our hearty shooters.

It's always a pleasure to be at the Beaver Valley Rifle & Pistol Club. It's hard not to suggest to all those shooters who might be struggling to qualify to come on out to the next Appleseed at BVRPC and give it a go. Something about the place that brings out the best in shooters.

Congrats to Ev and Stand for winning their Winterseed patches. I was in "weenie" mode and just couldn't face that cold, cold ground. The "AH HA!" moment of the weekend was Robert with his stunning 220 on the 4 minute AQT.
Some of us just need a touch of pressure to do our best. I'm thinking a 4mAQT
needs to be a regular on the menu.

All in all a delightful event, sorta like a Christmas present, and a perfect close to my 2011 Appleseed season. Bring on 2012!!
Give me Liberty or give me Death
Slaves don't dream of being free. Slaves dream of being Masters ~ August Stetten

Charles McKinley

Thank you to EZ3, Mr Happy, BVRPC and all of the students!

I had a WONDERFUL weekend of many first, AS as IIT, Winterseed and Dangerous Old Men presentation.  I really enjoyed instructing and working with the high quality volunteers and students.

One of the many high points was seeing Rebbecca smile  ^:)^ after wanting to quit after several malfunctions on 2 different rifles and having to be loaned a third!

It was a real pleasure working with Rob and Janna during lunch to get their scopes tightened down so they could get their tight groups on target.  What an amazing feeling I had when I got the news that Rob scored Rifleman!

I did a lot of 7th stepping at my Grandma's Christmas dinner and will be bringing several family members to the line next year.

Lee I don't think you will ever have another AS there with no one there.  My girls will see to that. ::)  I do believe I have been to my last solo AS :---
Last evening, it occurred to me that when a defender of Liberty is called home, their load lands upon the shoulders of the defenders left behind. Just as the Founders did their duty for Liberty, every subsequent generation must continue their work lest Liberty perish. As there is no way for the remaining adults to take on the work of those that die, we must pass the ideals and duties on to the children. -PHenery

EZ3

Pictures!  Better late than never.

Yes, it WAS cold!

But they came anyway.

Ev and Chuck waste no time earning their blue patches Sunday morning.

But Robert decided to wait until later in the day.
"You can't teach Liberty by practicing tyranny." -  Mr. Happy