News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Danville, IL, October 29-30, 2011

Started by TheEditor, October 30, 2011, 12:04:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheEditor

Excellent shoot so far!  19 shooters, 8 instructors, beautiful weather (if a bit chilly by 5 pm). 

Here's a group picture.

The Editor
John N.
Author of "50 Things You Didn't Learn in School - But Should Have"
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

As the shooters gathered at the line for a lesson in IMC, the breeze caught the Betsy Ross Flag:

John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

Patriot Gal

What a good looking group of Americans who have gotten off the couch and are getting involved in their history and heritage! 

Congrats to them all for coming out for the Appleseed weekend!   O0
I applaud you all!
Patriot Gal
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

TheEditor

Anyone else who was there, chime in! 

We did have a slight disappointment - we had to stop shooting at noon on Sunday, as there was a farmer working the adjacent field, and club rules prevent firing with a farmer in the field. 

We only got in one AQT on Saturday, and one on Sunday morning.  No new riflemen, but two re-qualifications. 

History was well received - Shooter30-06 got a nice round of applause for his first strike on Saturday at noon.  Templar223 did a bang-up job on back to back Dangerous Old Men stories at noon on Sunday. 

We also got a new AS instructor - RBKL, already a blue hat, decided to take the Orange Hat.   She shot Rifleman in July at Riley, IN, and she and her husband, The Nailer, make a great husband and wife team on the Trail. 

Thanks to all - shooters and instructors - who came out.  Marksmanship was learned - Heritage was reaffirmed - and America will be the better for it. 

The Editor
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

TheEditor

First picture in this post is the group hanging on every word of the First Strike. 

Second picture shows a rather unorthodox standing stance - but it works for her, as her groups were Rifleman size - All Susie needs is a bit more speed to finish the rapid fire stages.

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

RBKL

Another great Appleseed.  Instruction and history were great.  I can't say enough good about the instructors at the shoot.  Friendly, open and willing to help.

Saturday was a beautiful day.  The sun was shining, it was cool but nice sitting in the sun.  Sunday was a little cooler and the windy was gusting most of the day.  The club house was open so we could get out of the wind when needed.  It was disappointing when we had to stop on Sunday.  We did get some excellent history and a lot of discussion before heading out.

There were 7 instructors I think and 18 or 19 shooters each day.  The students were of  every level, never holding/touching/shooting a gun to riflemen.  With the number of instructors, everyone got a lot of help.  It was nice to meet new instructors.  I also enjoyed talking to the other shooters.   It is interesting to here there stories and why they are at Appleseed.

I have pictures yet to post.  Hope to get them up in the next day or two.  Evening shooting time will be gone in a week and we are trying to take advantage of the remaining days.  I am getting  a little behind on other things.

RBKL

TheEditor

Let's get our priorities straight, shall we, RBKL? 

First:  Get your evening shooting time in this week.   O0

Distant Second:  post pictures, next week if necessary.   :)

Got it? 

TE
John N.
www.heuristicbooks.com

Shooter30-06

This was a nice shoot just like all of them are where Guns Save Lives is a player.  All of the shooters were super to work with and were showing a great deal of improvement as evidenced by their Redcoats.  It is a shame we had to quit early but range rules have  to be complied with.  A number of the shooters were shooting well enough to shoot Rifleman.  The Instructors and the Shoot Boss were all hard working and cooperative.  A special congratualtions to ARBKL on taking her orange hat!  Maybe if you are instructing rather than shooting nobody will take notice of your foot position!  Shooters and Instructors alike - I hope to see you all soon.
"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

George Hacker

RBKL - thanks for taking an orange hat!   O0

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

John Boch

The first Appleseed where I didn't come home half-hoarse from hollering, thanks in part to the wonderful PA system we used, compliments of the fine folks at GSL Defense Training!

The place was filled to capacity and a lot of shooters eager to drink from the firehose of knowledge.  Tried some new things that worked well, including the PA system for the Line Boss and live-fire demonstration of the AQT COF by a couple of the instructors to give students an idea on what it should look like in terms of techniques, shifting NPOA, Rifleman's bubble and cadence, etc.

Good people, excited to learn and having a good time putting rounds down range safely and with improving efficiency, and efficacy...  that's what teaching is all about!

Congrats to RBKL for taking the Orange hat.  She was a great Blue hat.  Maybe she can wear both... 

John

nailer22

As Danville was my first AS as an orange hat, I appreciate the opportunity of working with all of you and look forward to working with you in the future.

John

John Boch

Quote from: nailer22 on November 03, 2011, 09:33:24 PM
As Danville was my first AS as an orange hat, I appreciate the opportunity of working with all of you and look forward to working with you in the future.

John

We would be delighted and then some to have you.  Hint:  Sign up for the McLean shoot next year...  it's phenomenal.

John

RBKL

Finally getting around to some photos:

Shooter 30-06 and AK - 6 steps to firing the shot
"Squeeze the trigger"

The Editor with Shooter 30-06 demonstrating prone

Shooting in prone

Checking the squares

More Shooting in the prone

Nathen - one of the young shooters in a nice prone

Logan - another young shooter with a nice prone

Some one on one instruction

AK with The Editor - seated demo

Shooting in the seated position

Nathen with a nice seated position too

Shooter 30-06 with The Nailer demo of standing

and shooting standing

Nathen with his AWSOME redcoat

Nathen and Logan with their patches

The whole Saturday group

Checking out the Garand

As always, a great time with a great group a people!

Shooter30-06

"We cannot insure success but we can deserve it."-John Adams
"Remember, all men would be tyrants if they could."-Daniel Defoe

AK

I am a little late in posting, but want to echo all the praise for the location, shooters, other instructors, and the sound system that all went together to make for a great Appleseed weekend.  We were disappointed to have to quit early, but the time we had was well spent.  I have one more picture to add.  Congrats to RBKL on the orange hat.  I look forward to working with you again soon.
I'm proud to be an American, where at least I know I'm free.
And I won't forget the men who died, who gave that right to me.
~Lee Greenwood

"We here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain; that this nation shall have a new birth of freedom; and that this government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth." ~Abraham Lincoln

mtbrass

Looks like you all had a great time over there.  O0  Hope to get back up there sometime. Good pictures.  O0 O0

dirtyharry

this was a proffesional run shoot with saftey out the yang,this impressed me much,the instructors were outstanding and much 1on1 even though i was humbled by my poor shooting skills i learned much to improve and will continue to try for rifleman. I will tell friends that if you want to learn about history and learn some skills this is the place hats of to all instructors and the folks there all very fun to be around