News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Riley, IN Oct 22, 23 2011

Started by techres, October 24, 2011, 12:45:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

techres

What a great weekend!

We started the day with a nice cozy group of shooters from age 9 and on up into mature shooters.  Weather was great, even if frosty cold on Saturday morning.  We got rolling pretty quickly and watched as shooters groups went from being the size of rulers down to very respectable sized groups with instruction.

There were no quitters in this bunch either!  They stuck with every bit of it and had a ton of fun doing it from the smiles that I saw.  Our three youth shooters kept up and did well with rifles that were huge proportional to their body size.  The grown ups did well in all the positions and by the end of the day we were on an AQT.

Day 1 Pictures

Getting on with a chilly Red Coat to start -

Jason getting some personal time with Nailer -

By night time there was well earned resting to be had.  Only at a seed would you go to bed on a cold concrete slab, look at a youth shooter's night gear and wonder, "Would that bunny rabbit actually work as a sandbag with her Plinkster?" -

Day 2

Day two started rainy and chilly so we started the day with an indoor review of all the materials.  This was especially useful as we had grown in numbers by an additional two IL shooters who border raided to be with us.   We were soon on the line working on five square targets and AQT's:

Soon the sun was out and those AQT's were far easier to see:

We had issues with hot brass and built a few baracades to protect Mario who was a major brass magnet:

After lunch it was time for KD & steel!  We had 100 and 200 plates up and the students had a great time beating them down:

I must say that it was particularly fun watching Karen & Zora beat on the steel only to be capped by that socom actually blowing the steel off the chains...

Then we got back to the AQT grind:

Before you knew it we had a Riflewoman in Linda (RBKL has the pics!) and we ended the day with the sun setting on a wonderful seed.

Thank you all, Father & son Mario's, Karen, Jason, Zora, Linda, everyone -

YOU DID GREAT!

And I hope to see each of you again soon,
Joshua, Techres

Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

techres

BTW, that socom was great for bringing out the thunder for the group...

(6mb motion gif attached)

brianheeter

Looks like you had a great shoot over there.  Congrats to Linda on her Rifle(wo)man score! 

"...Mario who was a major brass magnet."  There is an awesome screen name in there that shouldn't be too hard to find!

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

techres

Mario (jr) gained my respect this weekend.  He took a piece of hot brass down the side of his pants starting at the hip and going down flesh from there.

He had a loaded rifle at the time.

What did he do.  He yelled "OUCH!" many times (and a few other words) but HE KEPT HIS RIFLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION AND DID NOT FIRE ANY SHOTS!

He may be young, but he absolutely has the heart of a rifleman

Eddie

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?

The Nailer

What a great shoot.  I had tons of fun and I think everyone else did too.  We had shooters show up with great attitudes and with the instruction given made major improvements in their shooting.  The young shooters hung in tough thru some long days and did really well young Mario even shot an M1 Garand way to go Mario.

RBKL

Another great shoot in Riley, IN.  We even had a little rain!!  Here are a few of the photos:

Shooting squares

Getting some instruction and demos

Karen getting some personal instruction from The Nailer

Eddie demonstraiting the prone position

The whole crew getting specific on prone
http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/313429_119293318179745_100002972330964_116157_81625282_n.jpg

RBKL

Trying again - and continue

The whole crew reviewing the position

Techres and talking targets

Students, your preparation period begins now!!

The Nailer and Jason - carding the sights

Eddie and Karen - carding the sights

Mario getting his sights carded

Eddie and Zora

Techres demoing the AQT

Linda shooting the steel

Shooting the Garand
The Nailer

Mario (Younger)

Mario (SR)

And Karen - I finally move around to get some facial expression - and a lefty comes up.  I should have stayed where I started.

Ben shows how it is done standing

Not to be outdone, Techres shoots the 200 yrd steel standing too.   One shot one hit!!!

Richard and Techres reviewing AQTs

Rifleman Linda getting her patch - GREAT JOB!!!

The Family shots
Mario and Mario -- Hope to see you next month at Atlanta or Crawfordsville.

Karen and Mac - I think Karen will be back, hopefully Mac will join her on the line

Eddie, Jo and Jason.  I think Jo is hooked - I'm guessing Jason is too - what young man wouldn't be

Techres and Zora

Young shooters Patch

The whole group - (less Ben and Linda who had to leave)

Zora with the 200yr steel - 2 of the hits were from her

Sadly the shoot come to an end - Eddie tearing down

It was a great weekend for a shoot.  I think everyone had a great time and most were not ready to see it end.

We were having so much fun Sunday the time monkey snuck up on us.  Here are Techres and Zora trying to outrun the time monkey -

They succeeded for a while - but the fun did end.

Thanks Techres, Eddie and The Nailer for the great shoot.  Training and history were great, everyone had fun and stayed safe.  What more could you want.

What a great group of students and observers.  It was a pleasure meeting each and every one of you and I hope I am able to see you all again in the future.

techres

Oh, and one last thing:

A little video of my future riflegirl is here:

A Girl, An AR, Some Steel, KD...

(Yes I know I did not have eye protection on.  I realized it as I was lying there and just rolled on since it was not a range requirement and I did not want to reset with the shooter.  It went fine, could have been more perfect though...)

NOTE: I just realized the stock was shifted forward on the 200 mat and was setup shorter than on the 100.  That probably was why she got slapped by the stock.

spitfire51

Quote from: techres on October 24, 2011, 01:20:37 PM
Mario (jr) gained my respect this weekend.  He took a piece of hot brass down the side of his pants starting at the hip and going down flesh from there.

He had a loaded rifle at the time.

What did he do.  He yelled "OUCH!" many times (and a few other words) but HE KEPT HIS RIFLE POINTED IN A SAFE DIRECTION AND DID NOT FIRE ANY SHOTS!

He may be young, but he absolutely has the heart of a rifleman

Now that is some impressive discipline that young man has.  Glad you all had a wonderful weekend, looks like some good shooting took place
"A vote is like a rifle, its usefulness depends on the character of the user" -Theodore Roosevelt

HQ

It looks like you guys had a great weekend!  Congratulations Linda!

Zora - I'm so sorry I missed your shoot this weekend - I will try to be there for your next one - it looks like it was another success!

Psych Doc

Wow! It looks like this shoot had just about everything an Appleseed should: fun, learning, persistence and passing our traditions on to the next generation. Well done all!
O0

Petes Kid

:D
Thanks to everyone for helping me, it was a lot of fun.  Well done all.  Karen you will do great, looking forward to seeing you at another shoot.