News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Atlanta IN, Oct 22-23

Started by yellowhousejake, October 21, 2011, 09:03:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

yellowhousejake

We could not have asked for better weather, cool enough to be comfortable, warm enough to not need the thermals.

We had some great shooters this weekend. On our third AQT we had 7 out of 15 over 175 points! One of which was Lori, our most improved shooter. For having never shot a rifle before, you certainly proved you know what you are about.

How do I mention everyone? We had brand new shooters, experienced 'seeders, experienced shooters, and everyone did well. Little Chloe showed everyone how to work a single shot bolt action like a pro. Never getting frustrated, always looking at the good parts of her target. Once we knew she could handle it we gave her a semi-auto and she came to life. Great scores!

Nick made the grade, throwing down the gauntlet and shooting Rifleman at his first Appleseed. Jason gaining ground with factory sights, and Rob hot on his heels. Rob was one of the very few who didn't appear to be hitting the wall, with his shiny new ROC in hand I am certain he will make the elusive 210 soon and quiet that nagging final score of 204.

Nikki, Delaney, Cris and Warren. What a great family, always happy to be there, happy to help everyone around them, and knocking down a pair of Rifleman scores taking two patches and wait for it..... an Orange hat home. I look forward to seeing you all on the line often.

So many others, Darrell, Gerald, Kevin, Jim, Jeff. The boys on the end were smiling every time I looked over to the left of the line. Steadily increasing skills will mean increasing scores soooooon.

Paula, the five square destroyer, for a first time shooter you did very well. Get NPOA shifts and your speed up, and your scores will improve.

Rick, Cole, Andrew, AL, Floyd. It seemed you listened, applied, and never let the target win. Everyone was a pleasure to have on my line. I hope to see you all return.

How did we end the weekend? How about four Rifleman scores, a new IIT, and two new Applecore. I was glad to be there, happy to share what I know (as are all the instructors), and honored to tell the history to such a receptive audience.

Thank you for a great weekend. Let's see how soon Niecie can get some pictures up.

Yellowhousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

Ewald

I stopped by a small country cemetery in Boone county on the way down Friday. It really set the picture for me.

What a great weekend. I had been told YHJ ran inspiring shoots and he did not disappoint! His benediction renewed my faith in Liberty.

Many thanks to the Atlanta Conservation Club. It is wonderful facility. It was an exciting to meet so many fine shooters. We had a pretty diverse group on the line both in terms of age and rifles. It is great to see everything come together. After lunch on Sunday a shooter asked me a question that turned into the greatest commitment I ever received in Appleseed. It was an honor to share history with you all.

I think YHJ forgot to mention the little M1 Garand seminar late on Sunday. You know a shoot has come together when you see new shooters putting together groups with a 30 caliber rifle they never handled before after a long weekend.

Once again many thanks.

brianheeter

I wish I could have been there for Sunday!  It sounds like everybody continued doing the good work we saw on Saturday.  Four Rifleman!?!?  Outstanding!

It was great to see families out there.  Entire families.  And then they brought neighbors who brought their entire families.  Awesome!

I have to give a special shout to Chloe who just laughed at me when I called her a whiner.  You were running that bolt on your single shot like nobody's business!  And I see that you got put on a semi-auto...very cool and well-deserved.

And Lori...over 175 and you had never shot a rifle before?  Words escape me....

Thanks to YHJ, Ewald, Kate, Kevin, Niecie, Amanda and Diane for your efforts, help and feedback this weekend.  A great crew to serve with.

It was a pleasure to work with everybody there.  I hope to see you all back on the line soon.

C ya,

brian
(refuse to) Kiss the Ring!

yellowhousejake

Quote from: brianheeter on October 24, 2011, 06:19:54 PM
I Four Rifleman!?!?  Outstanding!

brian

One of those was our new IIT Kevin. I asked him to do the demo AQT and then had him use his new loaner, which was not scoped. The fear was obvious on his face. Like a true instructor he took the task, and when not allowed a high magnification scope he was forced to trust his NPOA, get his SHF perfect, and do everything by the numbers. What happened next was his highest ever AQT score.

See, what we teach really does work  O0

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

yellowhousejake

I forgot to mention, Kudos to Ewald for some great history!

Warren, if you are out there, get a forum name and send me a PM so I can add you to the ranks of the Appleseed Instructor Corps!

YHJ

YHJ

Niecie

What a weekend! Still trying to sort everything out  ++)
I will get the pics posted tomorrow evening.

I was very happy to find out Saturday morning that we had two wonderful people wanting Blue hats  ^:)^ Welcome to Diana and Amanda. Thank you for stepping up!! Appleseed will certainly benefit from your service.

Thank you to all of the great Americans that joined us this weekend.

Great to meet you Ewald! Great history and energy  O0 Please come visit us anytime!

Again, great weekend with awesome folks! Thank you all,

Niecie

philagothon

I don't know that my first shoot as an IIT could have been any better!  The weather was great.  The shooters were eager and receptive.  The Applecore worked behind the scenes and kept things running smoothly.  My cohorts in orange hats were a blast.  Our only red hat knew more history than most anyone I've met.  And our SB?  YHJ's presentations were both inspiring and motivating.

Shooters, you absolutely made my weekend!  I know many of you had never fired a rifle before (or at least not in the last decade), but your commitment and discipline showed itself in dramatically improved groups.  It was great to see so many faces back on Sunday!

Al hit 205 not once, but twice.  You're almost there.  Keep at it, it won't be long at all before you hit the Rifeman's mark.

Lori, you're welcome to borrow my rifle at any shoot!  Clearing the final redcoat with a rifle you had not touched before that morning was quite impressive!  I look forward to seeing you and you're family on the line again.

Paula & Rick, it was inspiring to see you keep at it despite the aches and pains.  You both showed great improvement as you mastered the fundamentals.

Darrell, that was a beautiful old Glenfield and you handled it well.

Kate, I look forward to seeing you master that Garand at one of the Atterbury shoots next year!

I'd love to say more, but it's time to get ready for work.  Thanks for the honor of working with each of you.

Niecie

Photo time!  :pop:

Good morning Shooters! We start with our newest Orange hat that surprised the SB, so in true Rifleman fashion, he improvised with orange duct tape O0

Kate is a new Orange hat, too - and she gets right to work!

Geting ready for the Red Coat.

Our visiting instructor, Ewald gets right in the mix!

The Brian and Kate show begins  :D

Beautiful morning for history!

And some humor...

Brian teaches IMC...

The group photo Saturday afternoon.

Sunday morning, a hat is presented to Philagothon.

The SB only had one Blue hat and there were TWO people that wanted to become Applecore:

Welcome to Diana and Amanda!! We are so happy to have you helping with Applecore. You really made the weekend run smooth!!  :bow: :bow:

Ewald and Kate run through the positions again.

On to the AQTs.... next post

Niecie

Niecie

:pop:       :pop:

We had AWESOME shooters on the line! They ranged from experienced to never held a rifle before. Everyone soaked up the instruction and put it to use!
Nikki shooting like a pro!

Chloe works the bolt action like no other :)

Great form, Rob!

Tubers, do your thing!

How's that go...mags out, bolts back, flags in, safety on ...

Delaney knows what she is doing!

Sunday morning gives us TWO Riflemen ^:)^
First was Cris -- in spite of an injured hand!!

Then Nick!

Ball and Dummy - or help thy neighbor :)

Kate's turn to call the line. A bit hesitant at first...

But with some mentoring from YHJ...

She finds her inner Diva quick!

Back to the grind...

A Rifleman score AND an Orange hat for Warren!! Wahoo!!

Lori cleaned the Red Coat at the end of the day - Not impressed? This weekend was the first time she shot a rifle! Awesome! :bow: :bow:

The junior Appleseeders never let us down!! Thank you to Cole, Chole, and Delaney for being amazing students on and off the line O0

Cole gets to shoot the United States Rifle, Model 1!

See you all down the trail and soon!!

Niecie

kate

It was great to see everyone out on the line this weekend. Got to see old friends as well as meet plenty of new ones! Fantastic to see so many young people there  ^:)^  Giant thumbs up to Chloe, Delaney, and Cole  O0

Congratulations to Cris and Nick for rifleman scores and to Lori for most improved shooting!! It was an honor to see everyone grow in their marksmanship  :bow: 

We had the most amazing group of shooters, being set on fire with the history and always openminded and willing to learn.

I hope to see all of you out there on the Appleseed trail!

kate

philagothon

I didn't get many pictures, but here's my favorite:

I counted no less than five shooters taking notes on IMC, including Chloe (our youngest shooter) and at least two of our new Riflemen!

ATM

Quote from: Niecie on October 25, 2011, 09:27:02 PM
Cole gets to shoot the Untied States Rifle, Model 1!

How does that always happen? Probably should have used a double knot.  ;D

Looks and sounds like another fantastic weekend. Congrats to all - well done!
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Niecie

Quote from: ATM on October 26, 2011, 04:22:23 AM
Quote from: Niecie on October 25, 2011, 09:27:02 PM
Cole gets to shoot the Untied States Rifle, Model 1!

How does that always happen? Probably should have used a double knot.  ;D

Thank you for pointing this out  ++) I think my fingers were tired, too!

Niecie

HQ

Looks like it was a great shoot!  Look forward to seeing/meeting you all soon!