News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Salt Lake City Self Reliance Expo Oct 7-8 2011

Started by oneshot_onehole, October 11, 2011, 10:53:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

oneshot_onehole

What a great event!

We talked with hundreds if not thousands of people desperate to hear a message of hope for this country. Three from Colorado (MtnManPrepper, Prone to Knit, oneshot_onehole) and seven from Utah (rifleman2000, lbsnake925, Buzz, Two-of-Three, LeeAnn, Nate and Austin) were kept busy telling the story of Appleseed and instructing in the safe use of an air rifle.

Everyone I spoke with was receptive to the Appleseed message. These expos are a lot more fun than a gun show, too. Even people who "already know how to shoot" were interested in improving their shooting skills. But like us they became more interested in the history than the marksmanship.

We had a 25-foot air rifle line where we let one and all shoot to their heart's content. There were lots of folks who had "never even touched a gun" before and they all went away with a smile. I'm serious. We helped several with special needs also have a great time. Over all we had almost 250 unique shooters with many coming back several times.

Contacts were made for new ranges to possibly host Appleseeds.

The Self Reliance Expo donated a 70' X 20' area for our table and range (a 10' X 10' goes for $1,000). The other vendors were the most enthusiastic of our customers. We were on three radio/video blogs and have several more interviews lined up. We have been asked to be at all five expos next year with even more space for our own stage to tell history throughout both days of the expo (Exposeed?). These expos draw in the neighborhood of 5,000-15,000 for the two days. This one had an attendance of over 10,000.

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/doctorprepper/2011/09/29/doctor-prepper-show
(starts about 32:00)

http://www.blogtalkradio.com/doctorprepper/2011/10/08/prn-live-from-the-utah-expo
(starts about 3:30)

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/news/52694483-78/expo-douglas-reliance-self.html.csp

Fred

Man, you guys are first-class! There are almost too many benefits to this to even list them all. O0

And where did you get that neat, neat "HERITAGE/LEGACY/REBIRTH" banner? We need about a thousand more of 'em!

One aspect I'd like to hear about: This is the first-time the organizers of this saw the "range" in action. Did it measure up their expectations?
"Ready to eat dirt and sweat bore solvent?" - Ask me how to become an RWVA volunteer!

"...but he that stands it now, deserves the thanks of man and woman alike..."   Paine

"If you can read this without a silly British accent, thank a Revolutionary War veteran" - Anon.

"We have it in our power to begin the world over again" - Thomas Paine

What about it, do-nothings? You heard the man, jump on in...

oneshot_onehole

Hi,

Thank you for the kind words.

Prone to Knit and I designed both banners. We bought limited use rights for the eagle photo (yes, we do things legally) that should cover all Appleseed uses. These particular banners were donated to us by a shooter who owns a sign shop and loves our message. He will make either banner in 2' X 6' for under $100 each and around $15 shipping no matter how many banners are in an order (within reason).

The banner images are scalable and the banners can be made much bigger. Isaac Davis is now a scalable vector image. I can post the PDF file.

The organizers of the expo really liked the range and are thinking of expanding. We needed to make some changes to it throughout the weekend to stop missed pellets from bouncing back but we now have that figured out. They, their families and staff all shot with us and had a great time (they are in some of the photos above). Some of the staff even had a shooting competition.

The CEO and his family will probably be with us at the Appleseed shoot in Byers, CO this weekend.

Jim

http://www.royalsigns.com/

snake925

The expo was awesome. If Utah ever shows the same dedication and passion as CO your efforts will have paid off.  It would take years to meet and greet the same numbers of people. And preparedness people are good people.  Good hearts, open minds...just the type of people we need to join AS family.

Sign me up to staff the booth in the future.

dragonfly

Well done Folks, how did you get this set up. Is this a national organization that my have events throughout the country, and others could take advantage of ?

Thanks,
dragonfly
www.facebook.com/WIAppleseed

K.I.S.S.
Lead, Follow or Get out of the way - Thomas Paine
Did you talk to someone new about APPLESEED today ?
The United States Constitution.

TruTenacity

"We are fighting for our country, for posterity perhaps.  On the success of this campaign the happiness or misery of millions may depend."  Henry Knox

"Let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap if we faint not."  Galatians 6:9

oneshot_onehole

df,
Our CO promotions coordinator, MtnManPrepper, asked for a table at the Denver Expo. They liked our message and asked us to be at all of their expos next year. We agreed to spearhead this for Fred. When the schedule for next year's five expos comes out we will contact the states involved and get the ball rolling.

Jim

George Hacker

Quote from: oneshot_onehole on October 13, 2011, 01:08:55 AM
Our CO promotions coordinator, MtnManPrepper, asked for a table at the Denver Expo. They liked our message and asked us to be at all of their expos next year. We agreed to spearhead this for Fred. When the schedule for next year's five expos comes out we will contact the states involved and get the ball rolling.
I hope they have an event in the Pacific Northwest.  It looks like you guys had a great time and made a lot of good contacts.  Well done!

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

TaosGlock

The dynamic duo of Kim and Jim (Prone to Knit, oneshot_onehole) and their Colorado crew will serve to move the Appleseed Project into the fast lane! :---
As we know, filling lines is about promo. This event was a biggie. The message was spread and seeds were planted in hearts and minds. O0

Thanks for the super effort guys! :bow:
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

BlueFeather

Jim and Kim -- you are the masters of mega-promotion.  You both have been innovative right from the start and we are all lucky to have you in our midst.  Thank you so much for all of your efforts for Appleseed and especially for making this happen.  I am sure you left a lot of excited people in Utah. 

/Gill
All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing. (not Edmund Burke)

Prone to Knit

Dan and Gill:

Thank you so much for your wonderful words.  We were only part of the team for this Expo.  We were blessed to find Peter (MtnManPrepper) to be the CO Promotions Coordinator and he really knows what he's doing. 

It was kind of funny, but the very weekend we were going to talk to him about this position he told us filling the lines was really on his heart and mind.  It was a match meant to be.

As Peter says, he ropes 'em and brings them to us and we skin 'em! That synergistic effort seems to be working well.

So, he got us this contact, we put it together and then took it on the road.  The next part of the team was the Utah crew. It could not have been done without them. They enthusiastically jumped in.  We're hoping great things come out of this for them.

There seems to be a race against time to save this nation and to have opportunities like this to reach so many in a weekend is phenomenal.  The heads of this expo really understand what we're trying to do and are all in getting us the space we need.  Can you believe it - a private stage for us to tell our stories and do marksmanship demos. We feel privileged to be a part of this.  As this expo hits several states next year we'll serve alongside instructors from those states. 

As we told people about us and locked eyes when talking about heritage and our primary purpose you could just see and feel their appreciation for our message. Just amazing!

It's a ton of work (we're still tired) but well worth it.

Kim

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell
That's why I knit for our troops.
http://coversandsoles.org

Prone to Knit

We just got the blog link for a young man, Dan Carpenter, who interviewed different people at the Salt Lake City Self Reliance Expo.

http://www.the-urban-survivalist.com/daily-prep-episode-48-self-reliance-expo/

Jim (oneshot_onehole) comes in just after 4:00 minutes. Kind of fun.

Dan will be going to an Appleseed and wants to stay in contact. If he blogs about it, we'll post it for you to see.

Jim has another interview lined up for November 2nd. When we have more information, we'll post it.

Kim

"We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm." - George Orwell

Prone to Knit

Here's the radio interview from November 2nd. The sound is not the greatest - guess our internet isn't fast enough for Skype.

http://www.survive2thrive.net/2011/11/04/survive2thrive-november-2-2011/

Kim