News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Hinckley, MN Oct 8-9, 2011

Started by BuzzG, October 11, 2011, 09:21:37 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BuzzG

Thanks to all the shooters that came out and spent their weekend with us! The weather cooperated, and shooters were attentive and quick learners. We minted two new rifleman and had a clean Redcoat target on Sunday! It was a great weekend of learning and celebration of the American Revolution.

Ten days ago, we had one shooter registered. Alex (Aftermath) had the idea to make this a free shoot to see if we could spur some interest. Jennifer (Puma Mami) prepared an email sent it to a mailing list of Home-school families and the slots filled up almost overnight. Nice job! Local Instructors In Training (IITs) responded to the call and signed up too. This Internet thingy can spread the word fast!

More to follow later today.

javaguy

We had perfect weather for the shoot at the Hinckely Conservation Club range!  The weather guy predicted rain and thunderstorms so we setup the canopies, which of course guaranteed that the sun would shine!

Pictures and more info to follow soon..

Javaguy

javaguy

Kosciusko

Thanks to all who responded on very short notice to pull this one off.

Looks to me like the instructors and volunteers did a great job.

^:)^

In truth, I am no longer surprised when Appleseed  folks  take  an impending defeat and turn it into a victory.     Nonetheless,  this  is still an impressive achievement,  and worthy of praise.    O0

nalts

Quote from: BuzzG on October 11, 2011, 09:21:37 AM

Ten days ago, we had one shooter registered. Alex (Aftermath) had the idea to make this a free shoot to see if we could spur some interest. Jennifer (Puma Mami) prepared an email sent it to a mailing list of Home-school families and the slots filled up almost overnight. Nice job! Local Instructors In Training (IITs) responded to the call and signed up too. This Internet thingy can spread the word fast!

I signed up on the forums specifically to post this:

I had never heard of Appleseed before last weekend. I was one of the home school parents that somehow received a forwarded copy of the invite. I read it once, found someone to watch my dogs, and signed myself and my three boys up. I'm glad I did.

I didn't know what to expect. Since I had to borrow everything (and I do mean everything, including the guns) I didn't think things would work out very well. I was wrong.

The instructors were top notch. I learned more about marksmanship on Saturday than I had in my entire lifetime up to that point.

The other students were friendly. Several offered their guns on loan and a few others jumped in and helped my boys (ages 11, 9, and 5) when necessary.

We even learned quite a bit about 1775 and the beginnings of the Revolutionary War, which is pretty good considering that we had an entire month long study unit on this last year.

Unfortunately, we were not able to return on Sunday, but we had a great time none the less. I will have to save up my $$ so I can outfit the family with some proper gear. Once I do that, you can be certain that we will return.

BTW: I mentioned that we had a great time. Want proof? My nine-year-old middle son even exclaimed that he would rather have a gun than a Nintendo DS. He liked shooting that much. How's that for an Appleseed endorsement?

Thanks to Alex, Buzz, Chris, and Mike for putting on a great event.

Sincerely,
Chris

Kosciusko

It is results and responses such as the one below that keep bringing the Appleseed  instructors and IITs to the line again and again, often under difficult conditions and involving  personal sacrifice.

Chris, thank you. 

You,  and especially your children,  "our posterity", are what we are about, why we do what we do.

Come on back, bring some friends, shoot a Riflemans' score, then think about taking an orange  hat. 

Minnesota has a population of 5,300,000

we have 100 holders of the Appleseed Rifleman patch

only 5,299,900 to go

yes, we're serious about that

piece of cake

see you on the trail

Kosciusko

Quote from: nalts on October 12, 2011, 05:26:51 PM
Quote from: BuzzG on October 11, 2011, 09:21:37 AM

I signed up on the forums specifically to post this:

I had never heard of Appleseed before last weekend. I was one of the home school parents that somehow received a forwarded copy of the invite. I read it once, found someone to watch my dogs, and signed myself and my three boys up. I'm glad I did.

I didn't know what to expect. Since I had to borrow everything (and I do mean everything, including the guns) I didn't think things would work out very well. I was wrong.

The instructors were top notch. I learned more about marksmanship on Saturday than I had in my entire lifetime up to that point.

The other students were friendly. Several offered their guns on loan and a few others jumped in and helped my boys (ages 11, 9, and 5) when necessary.

We even learned quite a bit about 1775 and the beginnings of the Revolutionary War, which is pretty good considering that we had an entire month long study unit on this last year.

Unfortunately, we were not able to return on Sunday, but we had a great time none the less. I will have to save up my $$ so I can outfit the family with some proper gear. Once I do that, you can be certain that we will return.

BTW: I mentioned that we had a great time. Want proof? My nine-year-old middle son even exclaimed that he would rather have a gun than a Nintendo DS. He liked shooting that much. How's that for an Appleseed endorsement?

Thanks to Alex, Buzz, Chris, and Mike for putting on a great event.

Sincerely,
Chris

javaguy

Chris - it was great to meet you and your young men!  You actually had three generations represented while your dad was there on Sat too  :) 
Remember that you do not need to wait to buy tons of equipment to attend your next Appleseed.  Esp. w a little advanced notice, we can usually come up with loaner rifles for most folks.

Thanks again for coming out on Saturday and we look forward to seeing you all again!
Javaguy

AFTERMATH

Thank you to all who made this yet another excellent Appleseed event!

Congratulations Jay and John L. on making Rifleman!

Jay, you're well on your way to being a master expert or some sorta super shooter!
The sound of the M1A on the right was therapeutic! :)

John, now for the irons!  (you can do it, I promise!) ^-^

Posterity showed up in force this weekend!  If there are many more youths such as yourselves; the future of America is much brighter than my cynical mind can fathom.

Chad, remember, the third time's the charm!  There are still slots left for the Nov. shoot.
(I've received word there may be a boarder-raid brewin'  Gotsta hold off those Cheeseheads!) :---

Chris, I wish you could have made it Sunday, but you know what you need to work on - Keep them kids off the couch and on the range! O0  Don't forget to check in on the MN board.

Ed, you nailed that last redcoat!  If we'd have had you for one more day; you'd be a Rifleman(certified)
We'll see you on the Trail soon!  And the kids!

The instructors(BuzzG, javaguy, GRYPHON, Squib) all did a great job!  Fun and learning was had by all!  Or else! &)

See you on the Trail!

Alex
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]