News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Marion, IL - October 8-9, 2011

Started by dond, October 10, 2011, 11:47:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dond

Once more, a great trip into IL. Perfect weather and range for an Appleseed. And great support by the club representatives. And I haven't even mentioned the shooters yet - a magnificent bunch who were highly interested and motivated. And it showed up in their shooting too. Following the instruction and practice, many shot 4 MOA on their very first square.  ^:)^ And on the only AQT of the day, two Riflemen were awarded patches. And one of these has taken the responsibility of wearing an Orange Hat. Thank you Mutti.  :bow:  IL is still moving upward.  O0 

There were a total of 24 shooters, 17 of whom were able to attend both days.
And by the end of the day Sunday, when the shadows were growing long, there were 5 more Riflemen and several high scores in the 190s and 200s.

And the instructors, Tornado, Karl, Viper, and RedFox24, all performed admirably. Tornado did very well for his SBIT. Karl was especially touching with his history presentations. He also gave an excellent testimonial about how he earned his Rifleman's Score. But no one was able to get him to dance. Perhaps that is a good thing.  ;)

We were all inspired by one of the shooters, a young man in a wheelchair, who had family members also shooting. He arrived Saturday as a spectator about lunchtime and was so touched by the history that he had to return Sunday and shoot. All of the instructors worked with him, especially Viper. He was in pain more than we realized, but refused to take medication for it for fear it would detract from his shooting. And he shot rather well; enjoying it immensely.

I am told that pictures will follow so you can view some of these patriots.

Rightful liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the limits of the law" because law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual.  Thomas Jefferson

For every complex problem there is an answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.  H. L. Mencken

Tornado

To begin, I want to congratulate all the shooters who attended. I've never seen such good groups on the first square.  :bow: :bow: :bow: You all did so well and made great improvement over the weekend. Hopefully, we didn't wear you out too much.  $$-0 For those that were so close to the Rifleman score, practice dry firing at home and you will be there. It really was a pleasure working with you all and getting to know you. Our younger shooters were awesome.  O0

Can't thank the Egyptian Rifle and Pistol Club enough for letting us use their range and for their support. The IIT's did great and I really enjoyed working with you all and learning from you. Congratulations to Karl on re-qualifying and taking the top score from Viper (it will be interesting to see how long your new score stands). :cool2:  Redfox24, you did a great job. Can't wait to work with you again.

Congratulations to all the Riflemen: Sharon, Randy, Nathan, Jason, John, Scott, and Joseph.

Thanks to dond and Sarah for everything. Great shoot. 

Shooters, if you enjoyed the weekend, and learned some things that inspired you (and I know many of you did), share it with someone you know and bring them back to Appleseed with you.

Pictures to follow.

--Tornado

"Great things have been affected by a few Men well Conducted."

George Rogers Clark

Tornado

Pictures:
"Great things have been affected by a few Men well Conducted."

George Rogers Clark

Mutti

I'm still getting Larry's photos up over at our Flicker site : http://www.flickr.com/photos/22465254@N04/sets/72157627865367342/

If anyone finds something they would like a copy of, please PM me and I'll make sure to get a hard copy off to you.

I had a great time. We all did.

Thank you to everyone for helping us on the Appleseed Trail.

Mutti

"A positive attitude may not solve all your problems, but it will annoy enough people to make it worth the effort."
Herm Albright
(1876 - 1944)

RiflesnReins

It was a great day to host a shoot. Everyone was in a good mood and shot very well. I took some photos and posted them here: on my Flickr site:http://www.flickr.com/photos/64166653@N04/ I was very thankful that Viper, Karl, Tornado, RedFox24 and Dond took time to host this AS shoot. Although I did not make the Riflemans score that weekend I will keep trying. :wb:

RnR :--- :---
"Come on guys!  Keep your eyes on your magazines. Stop looking at RnR to tell you when to fire. I know you can hear her down there. Trust me I should know, I live in the same house!."  Mutti

"The truly blind are those who will not open their eyes to see"

"How can a man die better, than facing fearful odds, for the ashes of his Fathers, and the temple of his Gods."
"Horatius At The Bridge"
Thomas Lord Macaulay

I am not sleeping... I'm just practicing the prone position.

"Courage is what it takes to stand up and speak; courage is also what it takes to sit down and listen."
― Winston Churchill

"The trouble is not in dying for a friend, but in finding a friend worth dying for."
― Mark Twain

Never tell people how to do things. Tell them what to do and they will surprise you with their ingenuity.
George S. Patton

Karl

One of the things that stands out the most in my mind is how well the shooters absorbed the material. The amount of information that is provided is compared to drinking from a fire hose. The proof on how well everyone did is shown with the number of riflemen and the number of shooters knocking on the door. There were 7 riflemen with a few more near the 200's.

A Line Boss yell of congratulations to Sharon, Randy, Nathan, Jason, John, Scott, and Joseph for achieving Riflemen status. O0 I hope each of you will help us work to save the nation. We could sure use your help. :)

Some of you may or may not know that my wife Viper re-qualified riflemen last week in Chillicothe. With her score of 231 she had overtaken me as best score in our household. While I'm very proud of her, I just couldn't let that stand. Late in the day Sunday I decided it was time to shoot an AQT. Afterwards I asked Dond to score the target as a neutral 3rd party. The AQT scored out at 237. I think I may have inadvertently started a competition between my wife Viper and I.  :slap: :sos:

Thank You to everyone who came out. I hope everyone enjoyed learning rifle marksmanship. I also hope you learned a little on the events of April 19, 1775.

Respectfully,

Karl
"corruptissima re publica plurimae leges."
"Si hoc legere potes nimium eruditionis habes."

RedFox24

Great weather and a great shoot!  I want to thank Dond, Tornado, Viper and Karl for their help, tips and guidance on my first shoot as IIT and really want to thank them for making me feel so welcome and part of the team.  To say I learned allot would be an understatement!  But most importantly I want to thank them for working with my son and wife during the weekend.  Listening to them tell me how much they learned and improved during the weekend on the way home was good! 

I would also like to thank Larry Morse of the EGC for the use of the facility and Larry esp for taking so many pictures, that is just incredible for everyone to get these pictures of them on the line etc.  Not often do you get pictures of yourself shooting. 

Thanks to all the shooters, you folks were like sponges, absorbing everything and trying so hard, after that first set of squares I would have hated to have been a redcoat facing you!!!  Just a wonderful group shooting wonderful groups!

Highlight of the weekend for me was a shooter who I had worked with who came up to me after the shoot and shook my hand and told me that they "knew how to shoot and thought that the weekend would be a breeze.  You guys ate my lunch, I have a lot to unlearn and a lot to practice.  I will be back here again, the shooting and history was awesome!" 

We all cant wait until the next Appleseed........
"Preparedness is not an event.  It's a continuous process." 
Dr. Julie Gerberding, Director, CDC

Castle Mountain

Congratulations to you all on such a fine shoot. WOW!!!    We look forward to promoting Marion in a big way for 2012. Great shooters in that fine area of our state.

Best regards,

Castle Mountain
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

Mudcat

I was down at KCR for the Machine gun shoot Friday and as I was walking in my Appleseed shirt among the rows of tables looking for that one bargain. I heard a big smiling guy say "hey did you get the patch"? " I just got mine last weekend in Marion, IL." That of course started us up a conversation he was a dormant Marine and said he was not sure if he was going to make it or not. Nothing but good things to say about the shoot. He also said he was trying to contact Dond.
Just thought I would pass that bit of praise along to you guys. Huzzah!
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Sure, Not

That guy at KCR was me. It was great to talk to you.  Dormant Marine is one I'd never heard before. Lol.
"Necessity is the mother that will imprison you, starve you, and kill you dead without remorse. If you have not prepared for necessity in emergency situations you will die. She is a cold-hearted woman with neither love nor sympathy for those who do not foresee and prepare."

The name Not Sure is from a movie every adult should watch. "Idiocracy" unfortunately it has come true.