News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Gaston, SC Oct. 1-2, 2011

Started by TheIronMantis, October 05, 2011, 07:54:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheIronMantis

Cooler weather and 15 shooters arrived at the Mid Carolina Rifle Club on Saturday morning.  Shooters were instructed on the safety rules, what constitutes a safe rifle and range commands.  Following the morning redcoat, during which several innocent citizens were bayoneted by the encroaching redcoats, we heard the story of the first strike of the match. 

Afterwards, instruction was given on concepts such as steady hold factors, six steps of firing the shot, NPOA and IMC.  The shooters persevered though heavy wind and blowing sand while there groups tightened up and moved onto target.  Lunch was a welcome break in which we heard the 2nd strike of the match.

After lunch, the seated positions as well as the standing positions were introduced follows by several AQTs.  The afternoon redcoat showed much improvement even though the shooters were worn out.  During the afternoon break we heard about the 3rd strike of the match.  At the end of the day we were all very tired, but learned we had a new Rifleman among us.  Congrats to Danny!  We closed out with a nice benediction.

Sunday morning was a quick review of the teachings from Saturday.  Most instruction was given by the shooter's.  The subtle reminders from the instructors on missing points were few and far between.  This indicated that the concepts from the day before had really sunk in.  On the warm up sqaures shooters were doing the Rifleman's Dance and really talkin' some targets.  At lunch we heard the stories of Mother Batherick, David Lamson, Hezekiah Wyman and Samuel Whittemore.  During the afternoon break we heard an account of the Battle of Kings Mountain.  Several AQTs were ventilated through the day, and although we did not have any additional Riflemen, we had most knockin' on that door.

Thanks to all the shooters for stepping away from those football games and climbing out of those deer stands and coming out to the shoot.  We look forward to seeing you all again.  Please let us know what you liked about the shoot and also let us know of any areas in which you think need to be improved. 

Here are a few pics from the weekend.

DuaneRN

I appreciate the dedication that all shooters showed.  I saw Tons of improvement and we had several shooters knocking on the door of becoming a Rifleman with scores of 200.  Looking forward to seeing all y'all again.

ChaseSC

Just wanted to say how valuable and interesting this event was for my brother and I. I'd really suggest attendees bringing the GI sling. Thanks so much to the instructors for both your time and direction.