News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Rochester, MN, 1-2Oct

Started by CSHR, October 03, 2011, 12:12:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CSHR

Thought I'd fallen asleep in an icebox I was so cold..... 0630 hrs driving to the range and I see this older, skinny guy, road paint white stripe colored skin wearing a bright orange hunting hat with ear flaps, mittens, blue shorts and running shoes...doing what I can only imagine is ''jogging'' along the shaded roadway......ohhhh yeah, this is gonna be an interesting shoot.

No SB was listed so, overcome by lack of sleep, I'd volunteered just 5 days before to do it, provided they'd supply everything needed since I'm 'in country' with only an AS hat and shirt. I'd also requested someone with formal translating abilities be present in case I wasn't totally conversant with their native language  **)

Turns out the AS crew was great to work with and the shooters, 27Sat&18Sun, were attentive, involved, and friendly family shooters. Couldn't have been better. I feel privileged to have participated.

We had 6 "Luther Blanchard" awards presented and 5 new "Rifleman" patches earned....heck of an accomplishment.

This is to open the AAR for comments and  photo postings, I will add photo's when I can.

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

skysensor

The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.  -  FDR

skysensor

The only sure bulwark of continuing liberty is a government strong enough to protect the interests of the people, and a people strong enough and well enough informed to maintain its sovereign control over the goverment.  -  FDR

skysensor

I posted the photobucket link because my browser (at least) handles the images displayed within this thread somewhat sub-optimally.  Conveniently see the full picture in the photobucket album.

Thanks to all who volunteered and participated (with special thanks to our "foreign" Shoot Boss).  It was a great time, made even better by the beautiful fall weather.  I look forward to more events in the future.

sparks1

Note to visiting instructors....interpreters are not necessary here, as long as you throw in a few uff das and say "you betcha" instead of "you're welcome".  O0 
Thanks to the whole crew for stepping up.

Me thinks the jogger was looking for a "wascally wabbit"...
Be afwaid, be very afwaid!
Integrity is easier to keep, than to regain.

The Truth is that teamwork is at the heart of great accomplishment. 
(John Maxwell)

asminuteman

Well done Lads    ......(and Lasses')
another successful orchard planted, and new seedlings taking root!
Welcome and congratulations to all.........
Nice to know you offered a "warm" welcome to our "desert" naitive....(CHSR)

R1G1 stay warm my friend, until our next meeting,
wohdoh nah
R2G2 out.....
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine

"He that would make his own liberty secure, must guard even his enemy from oppression; for if he violates this duty, he establishes a precedent that will reach to himself."~ Thomas Paine

I know of no way to judge the future, then by the past. -Thomas Paine

dronning

What a great couple of days made so by not just by the weather but the great instruction and fellow participants - spreading the word.

AFTERMATH

QuoteThought I'd fallen asleep in an icebox I was so cold..... 0630 hrs driving to the range and I see this older, skinny guy, road paint white stripe colored skin wearing a bright orange hunting hat with ear flaps, mittens, blue shorts and running shoes...doing what I can only imagine is ''jogging'' along the shaded roadway......ohhhh yeah, this is gonna be an interesting shoot.

I hope we didn't let you down!   O0

I assure you, the priviledge is ours!  It was great working with you, thanks again!
Hope to see you on the Trail again, soon!

So, will our new Riflemen stand up and be counted?
Great job to all!

Aftermath
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

wipeout

I was there this weekend as well and it was a lot of fun. It was great to meet new shooters as well as one other arfcommer (BFL patch gave it away), 5.56 who was an orange hat there. I've never been to an appleseed shoot before so I definitely learned a lot. I shot a 215 on Saturday and got my Rifleman Patch. I had originally decided not to return on Sunday, but ended up forgetting my folding chair on Sat evening and had to go pick it up. Since I was already there, I decided to stay until lunch Sunday. Just more trigger time and practice at the fundamentals. Thanks everyone who made it possible, I might have to look into another one in the future.

Gratutious Patch/Rifle pic:

CSHR

"you betcha" had a great time and will help out whenever I can....

The weather warmed up both days making for pleasant shooting. Great mix of families showed up...3 generations in one group, lots of kids and a few mom's. Didn't have people sitting out from being tired either. Thank you all for your allowing us to instruct you in rifle skills and for the interest in our history and heritage.

Got computer access to my abode and hour ago so here's some info, photo's probably tomorrow.

Skysensor....great pics....thanks.

''uff dah''???? can only find 4 'rifleman' names:
Skysensor---226/222
Wipeout---215
Dave---220
Nick---224
Who'd I miss?? Apologies.

Five.56 was advanced to IIT3...keep up the good work!!
Skysensor shot Rifleman and then volunteered to accept an IIT/OH, Congrats and welcome aboard!

Jim put on his OH to assist us with all the people who showed up. Thank you.
Pretend your not able to read this section...but 'Mike' was there to shoot and had his arm twisted to wearing an Orange Hat for both days, I'm thankful for all of your assistance...and for leading us to a nice place I could eat at.
Nice to see that the 'seeders in MN show up and help even though they didn't 'sign up'....and do a good job of it too!

Had FreedomV running around in circles....instructing, line boss, chasing errant dogs off our line, keeping his eye on his dtr who appears to know her way around an AS, helping the shooters, setting up and tearing it all down......and all the time smiling...wonder what he's up to anyway???

Thanks to "K" for bringing all the 'stuff' that FreedomV didn't and also all the interfacing with the IIT's prior to the event.

CSHR
"But rightful Liberty is unobstructed action according to our will within limits drawn around us by the equal rights of others. I do not add "within the law" because the law is often but the tyrant's will, and always so when it violates the rights of the individual." -- Thomas Jefferson

Cooper

Da Minne-SO-ta Instructor cadre has their act together!

I'm proud that they showed you their mettle while I was off to the south growing Iowa...

HUZZAH! to all involved!  Let's eclipse all this Hawaii and Alaska nonsense, and make Minn-e-SO-ta the vacation-seed destination of choice for MI's, SI's and maybe even Fred as their reward for contributing above and beyond the ordinary!!

If I were any more proud of you, my bosum would burst!  Go Minnesota!!!

Cooper
"This Appleseed thing doesn't look like it would be for everyone, but it really is." Zac, age 7  كافر
"He who dares not offend cannot be honest." ~ Thomas Paine    "Cooper, you're an a**hole!" - recent Shoot Boss's compliment
"I don't know where "brave" leaves off and "foolish" picks up, but you've certainly got your share of courage." - FuzzyMath
"For the Rifle!, the Rifle!, in our hands will prove no trifle!" ~from the lyrics of "The Bennington Riflemen"
Understand the urgency of our mission; no amount of bailing can raise a sunken ship.
I don't want to be forced back into the darkness.

"Shut up and color." - slim

TaosGlock

CSHR, is there anyplace you won't go to Appleseed? :~ :bow:
Great work as always!
TG
89 fantastic Appleseeds since 2008/24 Libertyseeds!
Adventure Camp Director/Current Lead Rifle Instructor: NRA WC Raton,NM
New Mexico's first Rifleman: Sept. 2008 NRAWC
Their walls are filled with cannonballs, their motto is don't tread on me-Grateful Dead
Liberty is not a cruise ship full of pampered passengers. It is a man of war and we are all crew-Boston T. Party
"Make no mistake, when you cheer for the people of the American Revolution, you are cheering for traitors and criminals.
They broke the law, because liberty is always illegal"- Larken Rose

Zombie187

I had a great time. We had 3 generations of men from my family there this weekend. Myself, my dad, and my grandpa...and my wife too!  I missed my patch again this year by a couple shots. I wish I could take time to come to more events. I struggle most with looking at the target -vs- the front post. That, and the sling gig didnt really work out w/ my rear stock unfortunately. I did my best shooting with it off, a 196. Last year was a 200 on the nuts if I recall...

One thing to note, it would be good to let guys know if they are laying on concrete. I expected to be laying on the grass so I only brought a blanket. My elbows are still sore.

Anyways. Great event. Great history session in the afternoon. I'm sure I'll see you again at some point next year. If anyone has any photos of us Id like to see.

Zombie187

also, here is a quick 1080p video I snapped off of a bit of the history session :)

http://vimeo.com/30064064

Zombie187

also here was my tool for the day. i looked into getting a holographic sight for the gun when I got home, but figured it would be better to master iron sights before upgrading to any kind of optics.

Kosciusko

Zombie187:

apologies about the concrete.  I announced I had spare shooting mats to loan.  2 were deployed, 1 was left.   You might have been off in the parking lot and missed the announcement.     I had  a combo mat/rifle case.  It's the digital camo one the instructors were using to demo positions over the weekend.  Also, I carry  a  set of knee/elbow pads in my truck.   Next time, if you've got an issue, ask us for help.    Anything we as instructors can do to help will be done.   It has been proven that my magical truck  yields  all manner of helpful treasures.

Appleseed in La Crosse this weekend if you want to try another whack at making Rifleman.  KD on Sunday, bring your centerfires.

see you on the trail

K

dronning

I posted the following on the AR15.com "minnesota" page.

I had heard about the Appleseed Project and the shoot on Oct. 1-2 in Rochester and wanted to attend but unfortunately I had to be out of town. I had decided I'd pick up a used 10/22 and build it up since I didn't have a 22 target rifle and always wanted one. I didn't really do much more research after that figuring I had a month before the next event.

Now will I tell you how not to go to an Appleseed. Don't prepare
My travel plans changed I got back early I was able to go at the very last minute. I found out there was room to walk on so I went to Gander Mountain and bought a used 10/22 carbine the night before and didn't even get a chance to shoot it. I was so rushed getting ready I didn't even notice the rifle didn't have sling mounts which I discovered on my way out the door 5:30am Sat. I had to rig up sling mounts with Velcro ties. I knew I could buy a sling there thats why I didn't even check my rifle. I did slap a scope on it, laser sighted it, I hoped I'd have an opportunity to at least fine tune the scope. Grabbed a box of Federal bulk I use for practice in my pistols also on the way out the door.

Day one of the event - very well done the instruction was great, everything about the event was safe and just fantastic.
The only issues were with my new "used" Ruger and the cobbled up sling. I was having problems with just about every aspect , bolt release, mag release & my scope eye relief in prone was giving me trouble - major fish eye. Then there was the issue on me not being able to find a decent sitting position, I tried several before I found one that worked for me. I still shot some good scores - but short of Rifleman. Three people made it one of them shot two rifleman scores.

At home that night even though I was very sore and tired I added sling mounts and thoroughly cleaned my new/used little Ruger.  I practiced several positions and found I needed to move the scope forward. I also practiced cycling the bolt and dropping/swapping mags.

Day two again very good instruction, very good on providing individual instruction on helping you with the process of gaining the Natural Point Of Aim including the follow through.

The training process about establishing your NPOA enabled me to begin to tell where all of my shots were placed. I swear in prone I could have closed my eyes sent the round and been on target. I qualified Rifleman on my first AQT target on day 2.

Learning what skills I need and how to develop them is exactly why I attended this event - well worth the time and the money. Yes, I will come back and qualify with iron sights. I have added one thing to the build list on that 10/22 tack driver - me.

I very much enjoyed the teachings/sharing of the revolutionary events and the importance of April 19, 1775. I would have attended just to hear that part of our herritage.

I highly recommend attending one of these if you are serious about shooting a rifle well.
Oh and don't do what I did, do your homework and be prepared - it's a lot less stressful, and for those that are like me (out of shape) you may want to try and loosen up before attending.

Dave

FivePoint56

Quote from: wipeout on October 04, 2011, 05:23:22 PM
I was there this weekend as well and it was a lot of fun. It was great to meet new shooters as well as one other arfcommer (BFL patch gave it away), 5.56 who was an orange hat there. I've never been to an appleseed shoot before so I definitely learned a lot. I shot a 215 on Saturday and got my Rifleman Patch. I had originally decided not to return on Sunday, but ended up forgetting my folding chair on Sat evening and had to go pick it up. Since I was already there, I decided to stay until lunch Sunday. Just more trigger time and practice at the fundamentals. Thanks everyone who made it possible, I might have to look into another one in the future.

Gratutious Patch/Rifle pic:

I was the one with the BFL patch.  It was fun hanging out in the loud section with you guys.   Good shooting by the way.

It was a great shoot and I have yet to attend an appleseed and not learn something useful.  CHSR brought a new view and ideas that will help the Minnesota appleseeds out greatly.   It was a great weekend to appleseed.

Zombie187

who achieved rifleman using iron sights?

wipeout

Quote from: Zombie187 on October 06, 2011, 11:33:33 PM

I had tech sights on my .22. I'm not sure what Dave was using.

dronning

Quote from: wipeout on October 07, 2011, 09:49:04 AM

Scope, didn't have time to find sights I could actually see, the stock Ruger weren't going to work for me. 

I'm going to pick up some Techs and go for my second Rifleman score in Hinkley in Nov., starting the hunt now for good gloves!

Oh and I am hooked.  Sunday when I got home from Rochester I ordered a Green Mountain .920 fluted SS 20" barrel, Hogue stock (for now) and I went all out and got a KID 2 stage trigger.  Now I am adding the Techs with the special mount for a .920 barrel.

Dave

Zombie187

had you tried before with the standard sights? I'm thinking of picking a set of those up for the wifes 22. the carbine stock I got for it makes it kind of difficult to use the ruger sights....

tegz

AFTERMATH

Quote from: Zombie187 on October 07, 2011, 01:54:03 PM

had you tried before with the standard sights? I'm thinking of picking a set of those up for the wifes 22. the carbine stock I got for it makes it kind of difficult to use the ruger sights....
Ruger sights make it difficult to use the Ruger sights. But that's a whole-nother subject.  :-X
They work, but I'd prefer the Tech's any day - If only for the repeatable 'click' adjustments. 

So, someone's got to know who Rifleman #5 was...
How can we put them on the MN Riflemen list- if we don't know who they are?
"We intend to produce men who are able to light a fire for Liberty in men's minds, and make them the finest rifle marksmanship Instructors on the planet." - Son of Martha

"Tyrants rise and fall, but tyranny lasts forever." -Me

[What kind of megalomaniac quotes himself?]

skysensor

If I remember correctly, two of us qualified on Saturday.  I believe the other Rifleman score (it was a 215 or 216) on Saturday was shot by Chris.

skysensor

Quote from: skysensor on October 07, 2011, 05:23:33 PM
If I remember correctly, two of us qualified on Saturday.  I believe the other Rifleman score (it was a 215 or 216) on Saturday was shot by Chris.

I see Wipeout shot a 215, but I don't know forum IDs for any but a few attendees.  Does Wipeout = Chris ?

CSHR

The Range:

"K" doing the First Strike

Five of the six 'Luther Blanchard' Awards:

Skysensor/Mark, 226/222:

Wipeout/Chris, 215:

The right side, 4/5 are 223's:

The middle:

The 'left':

Skysensor jumps in the deep end, Congratulations on volunteering!!

Dave/dronning, 220:

Nick, 224:

Maybe I was wrong with 5, I only have 4 with pictures....if you live long enough to get old remember to bring your mind with you as it comes in handy lots of the time...like your kids names; where was I driving to; 'i' before 'e' except after 'c' and with some exceptions; etc...

For those who don't have unlimited funds to build the Rugar, I recommend trying the Marlin 795, blued version. I find the Tech Sights are a good addition, along with several extra mags. You can purchase the Marlin for about $100 on sale. If your eyes are failing and you need a scope a decent one is the Crown Point comes with rings for ~$70 at wallmart.

Another important thing to have is an operating sling, including the swivels. You see how we put one on every rifle....hint!

Zombie187...you don't have to be at an AS to practice all the building blocks we instruct. Looking over the AS website you should be able to find all you should concentrate on. Also, it was inspiring to see the three generations and you wife there, thank you...great picture! Hope to see you again and present you with the patch.

CSHR

Rocket Man

Great shoot!  Good to see you in action again.   ^:)^
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

dronning

Quote from: CSHR on October 08, 2011, 02:54:53 AM

......Maybe I was wrong with 5, I only have 4 with pictures....   

CSHR

Hey there were 5 Rifleman scores shot, skysensor shot two, so I personlly will give that one!!  ;D

Dave

FreedomV

Thank You! to all who attended our Fall Rochester Appleseed.  Tell your friends and fellow shooters to plan on a Spring Appleseed.  There will be Appleseeds the weekend before and after April 19, 2012. Our new Riflemen should consider planning a trip to a LaCrosse Appleseed next year to try full distance.
sg / FV
Illegitimi non carborundum