News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Gibsonburg, OH Sept 24th-25th

Started by posterboy, September 27, 2011, 09:41:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

posterboy

Another great shoot up here in the glacier flat known as the Great Black Swamp.

I knew it was going to be a special weekend when driving to set line on Friday night what did I see but a HUGE Bald Eagle taking off from a field next to road. Now I had never seen a wild eagle that close so I knew the founders were nodding in approval ( all except for Franklin who wanted me to see a turkey but lost the argument..again..lol)

Saturday arrived and it didn't take too many trips down range looking at squares to see that we had an excellent group full of future riflemen. It was a shame I couldn't see first hand most of you cross over the line Bruce, Kevin and Jason due to me working sunday but it was great to congratulate you after the fact sunday evening. Now we did have one rifleman on saturday..Louie...shot a 224 on his first AQT ever and then just to be sure shot a 237  :bow:  O0.

I think Scott was close to on too on sunday but I have to mention Scott for a different reason. See he believes in Posterity and has come to Three appleseeds each time bringing another different youngster of his..this time it was Evelyn who was shooting great by the end of the weekend ! Huzzah Scott..zero doubt that you will soon shoot the score and who knows maybe that orange hat is your future :cool2:

Big highlight for me......Mrhappy. getting his Red Hat. It was a honor to bestow it upon you. Thank you for all of your hard work.

Well I let KAH and others fill in the Sunday details next and I know Gordon took some most likely horrible pics of me that he will post soon ( I just don't photograph well....not slighting Gordon's photographic abilities)

Huzzah

pb

KAH

Well - Let me first say it was great to be back in Gibsonburg, my first time since the IBC in March.

Mr. Happy Congrats on the Red Hat - it was great to see it as Matthew and I pulled up to the shelter!  Thanks to Gordon, Mr. Happy, Wy_Not, Persistence, Romad, and Cadence for getting the line set up and running a great shoot on Sunday.  You made my job easy because of your professionalism.

Thanks to the shooters as well - what a great group of Americans that knew very much what they were about!  After our safety briefing and review of the instructional information covered on Saturday (nice, thorough job Wy_Not) we took our rifles to the line, and prepared ourselves to enjoy an absolutely gorgeous early fall day.  The morning Red Coat reminded us that we had learned a lot on Saturday, and improved our skills.  It also reminded us of the sacrifices of all those Americans (young, old, men, women, children) that sacrificed so that their posterity could enjoy the freedoms that we have today.

Next, we were off and running with ensuring that rifles were sighted in, and also checking sights on our centerfires (to be used for KD, after lunch).  The morning moved along quickly as Romad reviewed the AQT, and called the line until lunch.  Thanks Lisa for a great BBQ Pork buffet, and the comfort of the Clubhouse, where Matthew and I provided some instruction in Known Distance.  Also at lunch, I was happy to present Kevin with his Rifleman patch - well done Sir!

Well, the KD instruction paid off!  After some quick come-ups, the group was hitting STEEL at 500 yards!  Thanks to all the shooters who unselfishly loaned centerfire rifles to other shooters, so they could enjoy the opportunity as well.  Bow Chick and Raygun - it was awesome watching you to work as a team and working with others as well to hear the tink-tink-tink!  Evelyn and Scot - what did you think??  Did you post it on You Tube yet??

After the KD, it was back to the 25 meter range and we began the AQT grind!  Thanks to Romad and Cadence for calling the line and keeping things moving, yet well paced.  Great improvement and consistency, especially from Beth, Bruce and Jason.  2StageTrigger - Thanks for bringing Jason and Bruce out!  For Jason the highlight was earning the Rifleman patch - and then reconfirming it not once but twice!!  It was great to be able to present you with it before you left.

We took a break and enjoyed hearing what some Dangerous Old Men did on 4/19/1775 - even though their families and firends were not so sure.  Great DOM presentation by Happy, Gordon, and Cadence (thanks for jumping in and taking the challenge - you did great).

Travis - I'm sorry we didn't get to the range in time to join you for the morning devotional, but look forward to seeing you again on the Trail.  Don't forget - there's an Orange Hat waiting to compelete your wardrobe, when you are ready.  Also, don't forget about the opportunities we talked about with your Church, and arranging an Appleseed event with them.

Once again - it doesn't get any better than an Appleseed in the Black Swamp, and this was the perfect weekend for it!  Thanks for letting me be a part of the fun.
"We are in reality common Americans teaching our fellow common Americans to shoot uncommonly well. In addition we teach them their heritage." TaosGlock quoting SamD

Gordon

Beautiful foggy morning --- First Redcoat Target of the event!

Fives

Evlyn and I had a great time at the shot last weekend. I was very impressed with Evlyn, she took all the instruction to heart and was shooting steel at 500 yards in no time. Thanks Raygun and Bowchick for letting us in on the fun! Evlyn shot 3 out of 4 shots at 500yards then went and shot a 131 on the AQT!!!! I was so close to shooting Rifleman...198 was the best I could do!!! Darn, Posterboy, looks like  I will have to come back and give it another try!!! ^-^ Persistence will pay off.... :wb:
Ok, looks like I will be bringing the whole family with me at the shoot in October, may need a couple extra rifles if any one can help. Looks like I need at least 4 or 5. PM me if anyone can help out.

See ya all in October!!!!

Scot
"A hero is no more brave than an ordinary man, he is braver five minutes longer" RWE