News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Azusa CA 1-2 October 2011

Started by Rocket Man, October 03, 2011, 11:17:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rocket Man

Summer's over, folks!

But the good news is that we now have some of the nicest shooting days of the year in Southern California.  That was certainly the case last weekend, as the Appleseed World Tour returned to the Burro Canyon Shooting Park for its final 2011 appearance.  Don't worry, we'll be back next year.

Joining us today was returning Appleseeder Phillip, on the hunt for his Rifleman patch after attending the Corona 210 last month.  He also brought his friend Will, new to Appleseed, and just as hungry.  And there was Nels, bringing a smart new rifle and a thirst for new adventure.  Joined by stalwart Red Hat L0ck3, we dove into two solid days of hands-on and personalized rifle instruction.

All weekend long you could hear the crack! of 10/22's and the BOOM of an M1A, with a huge family of quail clucking nervously from the brush in between stages.  And along the way we all learned something new.  Nels learned that he actually shoots left-handed? Who knew?  Will discovered why "Kentucky Windage" is better than nothing, but nowhere near as good as knowing how to adjust those sights.  Phillip got better acquainted with the fine points of trigger control.  And all of us shared in honoring the people who gave us the freedoms we have today, who learned how to shoot properly in the first place and who won us our right to carry on the tradition. 

Despite the grueling day all three returned for Sunday, and ammo boxes emptied quickly as we set to work.  A small shoot like this really lets us focus on every little detail, and left time to answer plenty of questions. 

Before it was all over, we discovered another Rifleman hiding in our midst...  Phillip achieved his goal with an efficient 212 on Saturday, and joined the ever-growing roll of California Riflemen!  Will was close behind with a best score of 200, so it won't be long.  Nels had to deal with that whole "shooting lefty for the first time ever" thing, but by the end of Sunday was routinely knocking down 43/50 or better on Stage 1 and showing solid form elsewhere.

Again, thanks to all of you for making it such a great weekend.  To paraphrase a fine Appleseedder, somedays I can't believe I get to do this.  See you all at the next one!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

Rocket Man

Pictures from the shoot.  Send me a PM if you want a bigger version.

Dawn breaks over the clean, minty-fresh field of Appleseed instruction.  The only thing missing here is you!

Our three students flop down to engage the Redcoats, on their way to a weekend of self-improvement and fun

Here we have the latest, most stylish rifle gadgets money can buy -- the Official Appleseed Cheekpad.  Prices too cheap to mention on the air!  But hey, they work.  Your cheek weld is reeeally important!

Getting serious now, as the class takes aim in a seated stage, with instructor L0ck3 watching like a hawk

Going over the fine points of the standing position.  We're an all-volunteer organization, which means all y'all are going to get volunteered.   ::)

And here it is, the Apple on top of the great big double-fudge sundae that is Appleseed -- our newest Rifleman!  Congratulations!
... if ever a mistaken complaisance leads them to sacrifice their privileges, or the well-meaning assertors of them, they will deserve bondage, and soon will find themselves in chains. -- Joseph Warren (anon)

BlueDog333

Thanks for all your hard work Ryan, I really appreciated it. I can't believe I made Rifleman in just two Appleseeds. Please send me the bigger pictures. I plan on having the qualifying AQT framed or at least laminated for display. It'll be nice to have some pics to go with it.

L0ck3

I'm glad to have been able to assist RocketMan on this Appleseed just north of Azusa. This was my first time to this range and I'm glad the weather was moderate. As SB said, ' this canyon can get hot". After a warm day Saturday, I was pleased to have the clouds over us Sunday.

It was great to see the solid shooters we had turn out on this weekend. Strong improvement and a riflemen path form Phillip and I know that Will and Nels are soon to be riflemen.

I look forward to seeing you all again on the appleseed trail.

Thanks.
L0ck3 (Tom)
310-709-5608
I am capital L zero c k three on Appleseed forum and LibertySeed forum.

Every man has a property in his own person. This nobody has a right to, but himself.
--John Locke

Government has no other end, but the preservation of property.
--John Locke

Johnnyappleseed

Quote from: BlueDog333 on October 04, 2011, 06:55:28 PM
Thanks for all your hard work Ryan, I really appreciated it. I can't believe I made Rifleman in just two Appleseeds. Please send me the bigger pictures. I plan on having the qualifying AQT framed or at least laminated for display. It'll be nice to have some pics to go with it.

Nice shooting BlueDog O0
I like your idea as outlined , I think we all recall our 1st Rifleman score and when it all came together.

Welcome aboard and thanx for the idea's .

See you on the trail :)
Nothing in the world can take the place of Persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan 'Press On' has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race.
Calvin Coolidge

WilSin

Howdy guys,
Finally made an account! It was a a lot of fun that weekend, and I learned a truck load. The instruction was top notch, thorough, and easy to follow, but what I surprisingly liked the most was story time. I never knew the lengths at which our fore fathers went to make this country come into existence. The philosophy, the integrity, the code that all these people lived their lives by, really opened my eyes. Kinda makes me feel that most things now a days are but a shadow of what things were back then.
Thank you Rocketman and l0ck3, I've learned a new skill that will be with me till I die, and also have been inspired by both our nations history and the passion you put into the telling of it. I now have my copy of Paul Revere's Ride and am looking forward to earning my patch to show that I believe in the US of A, it's traditions, and history!

See you guys on the trail,
Will