News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

St. Augustine, FL Oct. 8-9, 2011

Started by 9mm4545, October 09, 2011, 11:04:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

9mm4545

It was some sense of trepidation that I anticipated this event. The weather was forecast to be pretty awful with high wind and heavy rain for the whole weekend. To my surprise and delight, it all worked out remarkably well. On Friday when we set up it was overcast and looked like rain at any minute but it held off until well after the work was done. All Friday night the rain came down in buckets and it was still raining hard Saturday morning. My first thought was "oh, joy" when I looked out to see a steady pelting rain. But, by the time I arrived at the range, the rain had slacked off and eventually stopped. From the modest number of pre-registered shooters, I was anticipating an even lower turnout because of the weather. Again I was surprised when another half dozen came out to join us. Hey, this is more like it! The beginnings were a little slow as new rifles were sorted out and gear was tweaked but before long our shooters were getting into the groove and it looked like everything was going to be just fine. Despite very threatening skies the rains never really materialized during the shoot other than a few showers, which didn't really amount to much. Our instructors (Theri, FLawyer, Rambo Granny, and 9mm4545) were right on the spot with assistance and my earlier misgivings vanished. By noon we had most of the rifles dialed in and the instruction was clearly soaking in. A break at lunch gave the opportunity to begin the story of April 19th, 1775 to an interested and involved audience. After lunch, our 18th Century re-enactor Rick, dressed in full period clothing, treated us to the story of Daniel Morgan and his Rifleman company and then punctuated the story with a demonstration of a Pennsylvania 50 caliber flint-lock rifle. Rick's marksmanship was nothing to be scoffed at as he drilled a Redcoat target from the offhand position. You certainly don't need binoculars to see the hole left by that round!

Saturday afternoon passed quickly with new positions, transitions, rifleman cadence, magazine changes, and finally, a chance to take on the fabled AQT. By the end of the day and after the second AQT, we had one Rifleman to re-qualify and a couple of others who were darned close. More importantly, by the end of the day all were fully aware of the incredibly difficult choices and remarkable performances of those Americans who took on a tyrannical government--and ended up giving us the precious gift of liberty.

After an all night rain and the promise of much more to come, I was none too sure that everyone would be making it back, what with the creek rising and all. But this was a group with grit and determination and return they did, even more motivated than before. We even had a couple of old friends, Tom (TomM1Thumb) and Teresa, come out to the soggy party. I have to give big kudos to Sindy, Yenny, and Marta for hanging in there. These three generations of lovely women hail from Columbia, South America and already know a lot more English than I know Spanish, which is a very good thing as my functional knowledge of Spanish is limited to say the least. A teachable attitude does transcend language barriers and by the end of the event, I had learned a fair bit of Spanish and they had learned a huge bit of rifle marksmanship. Yenny, you astounded me with a oh-so-close score of 207 at your first Appleseed event. Sindy, your daughter, did equally well with a truly amazing improvement during the weekend and ended the event with a best score of 165. Marta, I really thank you for your gracious attitude and patience as I struggled to make my pitiful Spanish somewhat comprehensible. I do hope that you will share the photos you took on Sunday with all of us. Guy, I am glad that I was finally able to meet you and help you in your Appleseeding. I really look forward to working with you and your family again. Remember to curb your trigger finger's desire to break out in dancing.  :)Peggy, I believe that with five or ten minutes a day of dry firing, you will come to not only tolerate the prone position but actually enjoy it--really!  Let me know where and when and I will be glad to talk Appleseed to your group. Ted and Gail, you folks are my kind of people and you are welcome any time on my line. Will, I am sorry you couldn't make back on Sunday but it was my pleasure meeting you and I do look forward to seeing you on the line again real soon. And David, I checked and I do have an orange hat that is your exact size. (hint) Thanks a million times to everyone who came out to learn, understand, and remember the message of Appleseed.
The American Constitution is remarkable for its simplicity; but can only suffice a people habitually correct in their actions, and would be utterly inadequate to the wants of a different nation.  Change the domestic habits of the Americans, their religious devotion, and their high respect for morality, and it will not be necessary to change a single letter in the Constitution in order to vary the whole form of their government. - Francis Grund 1837

DeadEyeRed

When you go to appleseed you hear about a lot of long since dead hero's and patriots.I was reminded of the men and women who left their families so long ago , never expecting to return.  this Appleseed I found a true live patriot. A man who left the comfort of his family to come to a soggy field and talk  about liberty,freedom, and love of country . I am talking of none other than Theri O. He lot his daughter unexpectedly 2 weeks ago. Thru his grief , he never lost his love for his extended appleseed family. How hard it must have been for him to leave home, to go to this wet field to talk about liberty,just as our forefathers had done. Thank you Theri, for being a true life HERO to the appleseeders who haven't scored 210 yet
(and some of those that have). Teresa and Tom
IBC Palatka 3/31/2012
Rifleman St Augustine, FL 3/10/2012

theri

D.E.R.

Thank you for the kind words. The phase "Take good care of the children" has taken on a whole new meaning especialy regarding my four grand children.

Terry
Whiskey Tango 9