News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR Sierra Vista, AZ 17-18 SEP 2011

Started by AZbinary, September 18, 2011, 10:07:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

AZbinary

Sierra Vista AAR

What a wonderful weekend spent sharing the story of April 19th with fellow shooters and Americans!

Saturday saw a huge turnout, for the normally impressive Sierra Vista shoot, 36 on the line!  Several Father-Son pairs and about 10 junior shooters to learn markmanship and heritage.  Instructors and new orange hats matched the effort however with 4 previous riflemen stepping forward to take up the challenge.  We worked through some great NPOA demonstrations, and followed up with carding the sights and ball and dummy.

Lunchtime led us into the story of the three strikes with Lysander6 giving his standard (excellent!) rendition of events through the fight on Lexington Green, and MTProgrammer finishing us off with a moving re-telling of the events of the third strike.

Weather was typical fall high desert, never uncomfortable, and the facilities were complimentary to our efforts.

1 AQT on Saturday minted us two new Riflemen as Ron and Jon both received their patch.

Some of the younger shooters

Husband and Wife center-fire shooters

Garand Goodness!

Sunday, 24 shooters returned to brave the gnats that appeared.  We fired 6 AQT's, and used the "mad Minute" exercise to demonstrate that "you can't miss fast enough to win."  Sadly, even though we had half a dozen shooters firing scores over 200, in 6 AQT's we didn't get any new riflemen, but we did get a new orange hat, as Ron stepped forward to help create even more Arizona riflemen!

In a statistical aberration (for southern Arizona) redcoat scores peaked on Sunday afternoon, with one almost clearing the redcoat, and 4 new members of Morgan's rifle company.

All in all, a great way to spend a weekend surrounded by great people, great history, and great riflery.  It's true, you meet the best folks on the Appleseed trail.

http://s863.photobucket.com/albums/ab197/mnseitz/Sep%2017%20Appleseed%20Sierra%20VIsta%202011/
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011

painkilleraz

Speaking of orange hats...three events and still a newbie here...:(

PaxxAZ

That is my Short and Simple remark on the weekend.

I was the guy with the Drab green Cargo Pants, Black tee shirt, Khaki Hat, with a Beige Carpet remnant for a shooting Mat (The total Shooting fashion Statement). My Girlfriend was Kind enough to to inform me often that my under-ware was showing. (Big sorry to the Trainers, Shoot Bosses and Orange Hats).

I came with a small group, part to shoot, part to celebrate my Birthday doing something Fun. I came away with a great level of respect for people, and the confirmation that the future of this experiment we call "The United States of America" is not in the peril it may seem to be by any means.

Lysander6 (I think it was him) was great, and while not making too big of a point of it, did not call the colonists Patriots or Americans, as at the time (April 19th 1775) they where neither. Except to say they where people from the American continent, as opposed to people from the United States of America. He was very deliberate with his words and I was enthralled.

As to improving my shooting, it has quite a bit. However, I am still digesting the information and even on the drive home I was figuring out what the trainers where talking about. I think I have had an Ah Ha!!! moment, but have not been to the range yet.

Was the event perfect? No, but it was great!

I had .223 brass hitting me in the arm and face all of Saturday, however I think it improved my ability to zone out the rest of the world.

As for the imperfect...it actually exposed virtue, a virtue I did not take seriously at first as I am cynical by training. When we could not hear the Range Commands and we let it be known, it was corrected immediately, followed by regular questions if we could hear now. I recognized on Sunday, that it was a legitimate concern. The effort to make this great for all the Shooters was precise and true.

Colton (I think his name was) was great, and perhaps did me and my girlfriend the most good. Trigger control was a concept to me prior to his training. I am now aware of it, and aware when it is wrong.

Thank you all for making this a great Birthday Weekend!!!

PAXXAZ A.K.A. Pablo
There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

PaxxAZ

Dratts,

My short and simple remark of the weekend was "WOW!!!" I just erased it when I realized I was going to write a bit more.  :wb:
There are many things talked about that make the people of the US
different; being riflemen is one, asking why is another, as is getting
what needs doing done.

-Me 2011

AZbinary

Painkiller,

I think Lysander is taking care of you this week.

Paxx,

I'm glad you enjoyed the weekend, we love the feedback, and are always striving to make things better.  I hope you guys are planning on returning in December!

AZB
"Not Last!" -AZ AWW 2011