News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Bedford Contingent Bedford, IN 17-18 September 2011

Started by SPQR, September 12, 2011, 10:25:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SPQR

He stood alone in a field of freshly turned dirt, the earthy scent of new furrows in his nose.  He thought he heard something and turned his head, scratching absentmindedly at the short beard on his jowls.  The hiss of a breeze through the leaves of a loan tree hushed the landscape and he heard the voice.

"If you build a Designated Appleseed Range, shooters will come"

He cocked the broad brimmed hat far back on his head and squinted his eyes at the sun.

"Whadya say?  I didn't hear that," he said.

"I SAID, if you build a DAR shooters will come," I hollered as I stepped out of the car.  "What is yer problem, man?  Can't you get yer fingers out of yer ears long enough to hear nothing?"  Chilidog threw up his hands with his usual, vacant expression.

Just weeks before I had been forging trails through the triple canopy of Panama, looking for the lost stomping grounds of Townie Whelen, when a young man in white livery came into the clearing with a beige General Electric telephone on a silver tray.  I answered immediately, of course, never being one to waste time with pleasantries.  The voice on the other end communicated a desperate problem.  A shoot at Bedford had been woefully overbooked due to the rambunctious efforts of the host and his cronies.  Conduct of the event would take not only a firm hand, but one capable of the deft movements and subtle distinctions of a surgeon.  It would, in short, require a real Shoot Boss's Shoot Boss and a crack team of instructors capable of two-wheeled turns at break-neck speeds in the blink of an eye.  Assembling such a formidable cadre would take leadership predisposed to desperate moments, able to snatch Victory from the jaws of Defeat.

Of course all of these things are mere stepping stones for one such as SPQR.  When the going gets tough, the weird turn pro.  After a stop at a rodeo to pick up ATM from an all night mechanical bull contest, and swinging past a mud hut in Borneo to collect TBE, HQ and Hawkhavn were found in the far more civilized locations of a Miami beach and a NASA laboratory.  A quick Border Raid from some Golden State jet-setters iced the cake.  All we really needed at that point was the Bedford Contingent.

The end result was just about the most rootinist tootinist, dabba doo time anybody ever did have.  You can't put on a good shoot without good help and I want to take this opportunity to say that this shoot was perhaps the most technically difficult shoot to negotiate I have experienced and yet I had a magnificent instructing and support crew that was able to adapt the curriculum to the shooters, flex and flow with last minute audibles, and maintain rigid safety standards in such a compressed geography.

You also can't HAVE a good shoot without good shooters and let me tell you what, we had some dandies.  I will be more specific with my thanks in my next post, its nap-thirty right about now, but I wanted to say now that this was a FANTASTIC batch of shooters who maintained focus and a great attitude throughout.  You persevered, discovered, and improved with relentless drive and I could not be happier. THANK YOU  O0   

"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

"We all need Bedford." - brianheeter

SPQR

"It is amazing to watch the intricate dance of the Indiana instructors playing off each other's strengths. No ego involved. Just doing what needs to be done by the person best suited to do it to give the shooters what they need." - Miki

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

George Hacker

SPQR,

You are a literary genius.  I love reading your AARs.  Keep it up.  ;D

- ShadowMan
Tell your Pacific Northwest facebook friends to "like" and post in the Northwest Region Project Appleseed page.

"You can't miss fast enough..."  "Aim small, miss small."

yellowhousejake

Quote from: SPQR on September 12, 2011, 10:25:29 PM
The hiss of a breeze through the leaves of a loan tree hushed the landscape and he heard the voice.

Is THAT the kind of tree money grows on?  **)

It's big crowd, and a little range, I knew it was in good hands with HQ there to run herd on everyone. Looking forward to reading the details.  O0

Yellowhousejake
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

techres

Was only able to visit for a bit on Saturday with my kids, but I saw a large group of patriots having a great time and learning some hard skills.

Got enough footage that I was able to post up a little video (90% of the footage is from Bedford on Saturday):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LU5Ah1afud8
Appleseed: Bringing the Past into the Present to save our Future.

stagehand steve

Kate, it was good to see you and your friend (whose name escapes me at the moment) at another shoot.  What does that make?  Three shoots in about 6 weeks?   :~  Way to get after it!

Hope you had a good weekend!

-stagehand steve
"The program needs us all working one level beyond where we truly feel comfortable and competent." - ATM

Frodo: I wish none of this had happened.
Gandalf: So do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us.

"A free people ought not only to be armed, but disciplined; to which end a uniform and well-digested plan is requisite; and their safety and interest require that they should promote such manufactories as tend to render them independent of others for essential, particularly military, supplies."
- George Washington, First Annual Address, to both House of Congress (8 January 1790).

kate

I wish I could have taken Kaitlyn, I believe that the blond sitting behind me was Sophie. And what can I say, Appleseed is the best time a person can have!

I had a great time learning and mentoring at this one, thanks to all the people who allowed this to come home lookin' pretty   ;)  Bedford is the shoot to be at! The range was wonderful, the gravel was fantastic, the weather was fabulous, and the people were friendly. You guys always manage to teach this stubborn child something at each Appleseed. It was great meeting everybody and I hope to see you all on the line sometime soon!  :--- Next stop: Atlanta Oct. 1-2!

yellowhousejake

Kate, do you mean Oct 22-23 in Atlanta? I believe that shoot got moved a month or so ago. Looking forward to seeing you and your mom again!

YHJ
I have removed my email from my profile to stop the mod reports. If you need a Libertyseed scheduled you will now have to contact me on the Libertyseed forum.

YHJ

japartridge

Hello all, I recognize some of you from INGO, and just wanted to say, that even with a crispy face on Saturday, I had a blast, and am looking forward to my next attempt at Rifleman! 

I really like the Bedford Contingent range, very nicely done.... now if we can get ChiliDog to let us expand it   ;)
In all seriousness the shoot was great, exactly what I had hoped my first Appleseed would be like! 

Oh yeah, and ATM is nuts!   ;D

Jason

SPQR

yes, yes, we all had fun, now back to more pictures of me.   >:D

The Bomb Range at the Bedford Contingent.  Thank you Childers Farm for all you do!

Kate gets voluntold to show us proper sling assembly.

Nero flies in from California to teach us some IMC, AND BOY ARE HIS ARMS TIRED!

This was the first time the gravity of ATM had been released on the Bedford Contingent.  After his first tune the regulars at the range gawked and looked at me with the look of, "Are you serious?"  I felt the proper course of action was to harmonize.

The First Strike

Lunch at Bedford is generally met with cheers.

More pics

This was HALF our group.

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Syd

Had lots of fun at the appleseed this weekend! Thanks SPQR for all the help. :)

Nero

The 'extreme border raiders' were glad to be 'back home again in Indiana' and see how you all 'seed!   We are in awe (jealous as ****, that is) of the Blue Hat corps you've assembled  - what a luxury to be able to work the line all day and not deal with any of that annoying logistical 'stuff''.  Sorry that we couldn't stay for Sunday to see some more Hoosier riflemen made, but family duty called.   We picked up some tips and tricks that we'll be taking back to Cali with us - though not sure anyone could duplicate the 'ATM show'. 

Without further ado, some pix!

If you build it...

...they WILL come.

The varsity squad, in the fish bowl

Sure glad that's a drill rifle

Step 2 - sight picture

Hawkhavn talking about talking targets

The Saturday crew

Full album at:
https://picasaweb.google.com/114208333789247233986/Bedford911#
"Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet depreciate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground. They want rain without thunder and lightning. They want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters." —Frederick Douglass

kate

YHJ,
i guess i did mean that one, did not know that it had been moved thank you for the info. It will be great to see you again, hopefully i have rifleman by that time!

It's too bad we couldn't stay to shoot steel, seems like everyone had a blast. Hopefully I'll gt to go to another shoot with kd!

In my picture, the word "proper" should probably have quotations around it seeing how i did it wrong hahaha! most fun I've ever had messing up though! Hope to help out again pretty soon!

kate

SPQR

Syd: No, thank YOU.  You are going to be a Rifleman one day.

Kate: I am going to try to get up there to shoot some AQTs on Sat afternoon or Sunday.  Instructors have to keep their skills sharp too. 

Nero and American Amazon:  thank you for all the help and conversation.

All Shooters:  Thank you so much for your patience, perseverance, and forbearance.  This was a really tight shoot and the weather could have scared folks away but you stayed strong, stayed put, and stayed pleasant.  It was great to work with you all! 

More pics, KD and....RIFLEMEN!

TBE takes the reigns on Saturday

First Strike

We need more pictures of two things, SPQR and the United State Rifle Caliber .30 Model 1

Lets make some noise.

Erik rocks the Rifleman score

Mitch was on fire all day Sunday, this was one of three Rifleman scores.

I was exceptionally proud to give out this patch.  Not only did Troy promote the dickens out of this shoot, but he used the resources of his surplus store to help outfit the shooters with mats and U.S.G.I. Slings.  Not only that but he brings his family along and they are fantastic people and wonderful to be around.  not only that but he practices with them at home on their range.  Not only that but he brings shooters to shoots with him that are positive and prepared.  Not only that but he is a Rifleman.  HUZZAH HUZZAH HUZZAH   I think I smell a new Orange Hat.

A product of Troy's promo efforts and preparation was Rob.  Riflemen help others become Riflemen.

Oh, I forgot.  ATM was at this shoot.  That means we christened the new Riflemen with what?  That's right, BACON!!!!!!!
Here Dustin gets his due for his Rifleman score.  Welcome aboard!

"Indiana rules!" - Nero

Bill 3

Looks and sounds like a phenomenal job by all, Huzzah!
"I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Samuel Clemens
"...that any man who yields up his liberty, in however slight the measure, is bound to become a slave." -- H.L. Mencken
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
"...we have the choice to pursue, in the course of our life, one of two sets of principles - either the principles of power and privilege or the principles of truth and justice. If you pursue truth and justice it will always mean a diminution of your power and privilege. If you pursue power and privilege it will always be at the expense of truth and justice."
The forum is but a blank slate that records what we type.  If it sucks, why is that?  Anyone have an extra mirror for people?

HQ

What a great shoot!  Even the rain didn't keep people away! [although the dump I got Sunday morning was not my favorite part!]  PACKED lines both days!  Very exciting to see so many people out on the lines this weekend!  Including my mom!

I was very happy to see her on the line!

Look at all these people!  I do love shoots at Bedford!

And an AAR from Bedford isn't complete without someone signing the Bomb!  Look at all those Riflemen lining up to sign!

Thank you first to our shooters!  I love it when so many show up and maintain AWESOME attitudes even through the rain!  It is hard to have a bad time with fried chicken on Sunday though. . .

Of course - none of this would have been possible without our wonderful host Chilidog and his phenomenal crew of Blue Hats!  You sure do spoil us rotten!  Thank you again!

I can't wait to see each and every one of you again!

Orangedotfever

Just wanted to thank everyone for making my first Appleseed event such a great experience. Everyone was wonderfully helpful and all the young kids involvement was great to see.

I learned so much and would like to thank Troy for getting me involved and letting us practice at his home. Thanks to David Seth of Brimstone Gunsmithing for the wonderful trigger work he did on mine, Greg's and Rob's rifles.  And above all, thanks to all the instructors and personnel for their patience and understanding. What a daunting task with such a large group of diverse shooters.

The one big problem I had was Chili Dog and his Garand. I now find myself running around getting all the necessary paperwork together to get one ordered from the CMP. After learning NPOA, the proper use of the GI loop sling, applying what was taught and sliding down behind that beautiful piece of rifleman's art, it was just magic to squeeze off rounds and hit with the M1. THANKS GUYS! There goes my wallet screaming again.

Thanks again for a wonderful weekend. I hope to bring the wife next time.

Mitch

"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.

ATM

I iz not nuts... just incredibly shy...  ::)

Fantastic weekend!  ^:)^ I always meet the finest, friendliest folks in America at Appleseeds.

What a pleasure to share the fellowship of marksmanship and heritage at such a great range.
Positive attitudes prevailed - smiles were plentiful - food was awesome - a real sense of sharing in something larger than ourselves.

Thank you all for coming out. Congrats to the new Riflemen and all who improved by shrinking their groups and by making renewed connections to the responsibilities that come with Liberty. You all did great!  :bow:

Now, practice by the numbers and don't forget that 7th step.  :cool2:

See you on the trail!
Say no to drugs. $$-0 Say yes to bacon. O0

Chilidog

What a great weekend! I was thrilled to see all the gang get together for another great shoot. congratulations to all the riflemen those that scored a patch and those that WILL in the future. I say future because everyone who was here this weekend displayed the traits of great riflemen and women. It is amazing how even though we had a huge crowd of folks from all differant walks of life and parts of the contry, we could spend 16 full hours together as unified group all working together to make a better nation and community. What a fabulous bunch of people. Thanks to all the instructors and AC things ran just as smooth as if it were one of our smaller shoots. Good job!
No better investment can you make than in your fellow American. For it will pay off in future generations of Americans to come.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom must undergo the fatigue of supporting it" - Thomas Paine

American Amazon

Thank you all, Bedford Contingent, for showing us Californians such wonderful Hoosier hospitality! - including the yummy Saturday lunch (the chicken salad was amazing!) - and the *official* Bedford Contingent T-shirts (we'll wear them often!).

Nero and I were happy to be able to attend an Appleseed in his home state, and I hope we'll be able to visit you again some day!
"We are no ways dispirited here, we possess a spirit that will not be conquered. If our men are all drawn off and we should be attacked, you would find a race of Amazons in America." -Abigail Adams (letter to husband John dated 9/20/1776)

yellowhousejake

Quote from: American Amazon on September 23, 2011, 02:05:56 PM
Nero and I were happy to be able to attend an Appleseed in his home state, and I hope we'll be able to visit you again some day!

-American Amazon

We got no shortage of shoots around here, pick a weekend in 2012 and we will likely have an Appleseed somewhere.

Thanks for helping us out!

YHJ

YHJ

Orangedotfever

Quote from: Orangedotfever on September 19, 2011, 11:04:39 PM
The one big problem I had was Chili Dog and his Garand. I now find myself running around getting all the necessary paperwork together to get one ordered from the CMP. After learning NPOA, the proper use of the GI loop sling, applying what was taught and sliding down behind that beautiful piece of rifleman's art, it was just magic to squeeze off rounds and hit with the M1. THANKS GUYS! There goes my wallet screaming again.

Yep, it happened. Greg and I drove the 5.5 hours (each way) to Camp Perry and picked out 2 M1 Garand's each. Now see what you guys went and did? I'm recruiting for the 2012 events at Bedford and hope to bring many more potential riflemen (and women).

Thanks again.
"Need", has nothing to do with it!

"Courage is being scared to death... and saddling up anyway." John Wayne

"I'd like to know why well-educated idiots keep apologizing for lazy and complaining people who think the world owes them a living."  John Wayne

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb deciding what to have for dinner.
Liberty is a well armed lamb.