News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

AAR: Bonfield,IL August 20 & 21, 2011

Started by Wurstmacher, August 22, 2011, 10:34:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wurstmacher

AAR-Bonfield, IL August 20 & 21, 2011

Well, I guess since Appleseed is not making appearances at Ottawa anymore, the Ottawa weather decided to visit us in Bonfield...........with a vengeance.  I worked the shooters until after 12:30 before we took a lunch break.  As we were starting History, the thunder which had been in the distance, had grown closer and was now accompanied by lightning.  It began to rain, but being under the nice covered firing line at the Illinois State Rifle Range, just meant I had to talk louder.  The rain continued and became a downpour, but that's OK, I can talk LOUDER.  About the time that Paul Revere had been released by Major Mitchell, the wind began to blow.  And blow it did.  The downpour became a horizontal deluge that reached all the way under the covered line which sent everyone scrambling for their equipment and rifles to get them cased and protected.  Once our hatches were battened down, we retreated into the shoot house at the end of the range, just in time for the quarter-inch hailstones to come pelting from the sky.  Major Mitchell made it back to warn the column, shots were fired at Lexington, and about the time that Colonel Smith's column finished their third huzzah, the hail stopped and the skies began to lighten........Sweep the water off the cement firing line, post some dry targets on the wet backers, and back to work building Riflemen.

On Sunday, the shooters seemed to be dialed in, so after a couple of squares, we posted an AQT, just to see what they could do.  Well of course those tight groups opened up, equipment issues popped up, so back to work we went.  Hopefully, the education that some of the shooters got about their equipment, was not wasted.  Let's see........... which direction do you turn that front sight post, beware of ammo with animal names?

While the shooters were posting an AQT, I posted some Star Targets to use for a Team Building exercise.  We had 3 3-man teams and one man extra.  So, knowing that Castle Mountain (one our instructors) was taking an opportunity to get in some shooting time, and knowing that he was a man who knew very much what he was about, I told the group that we were going to play "Castle Mountain Against the World."  The 3-man teams would compete against Castle Mountain to shoot their Star Target with as many rounds as they could get off in a two-minute time period.  Once it sunk into Castle Mountain what was being proposed, he furiously began loading .22 magazines for his Ruger.  Seven or Eight I believe.  After the time period expired and the smoke cleared, what we learned from the altercation at the North Bridge was confirmed.  Well aimed fire from a Rifleman can turn the tide.  For 'tis not volume of fire, but shots fired by the numbers that count.  However, I did not know that Castle Mountain could count that fast......he had emptied all of his magazines. So, I guess volume of fire, as long as it is fired by the numbers can be very, very effective.   His star did not fair as well as the others on the line.  He is definitely a Dangerous Old Man....... Perhaps he should let his hair grow and get a white horse.....

Tornado

Sounds like it was a candidate shoot for a winterseed patch. ;D  Castle Mt. Is definitely a DOM.  :---

Would have liked to have returned to Bonfield but we were in McLean which is closer for us and also a great place to shoot. Congratulations on a successful shoot building future Riflemen.

-Tornado
"Great things have been affected by a few Men well Conducted."

George Rogers Clark

Patriot Gal

I'll have some pictures in a minute....or two.....or three....

There!  Help me congratulate our newest Illinois Rifleman Luke!!!  Luke also brought his two sons Ryan and Carl.
Sorry, but I tried 4 times to get that one picture in the right orientation, but it's still sideways.  Please just turn your head to see it...thanks!
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

"No free man shall ever be denied the use of arms"
~Thomas Jefferson

"If not us, then who; if not now, then when."
~President Ronald Reagan

Patriot Gal

A few more pictures of the Bonfield shoot.
"Educate and inform the whole mass of the people... They are the only sure reliance for the preservation of our liberty."  ~Thomas Jefferson

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

Patriot Gal

A few more...

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

Patriot Gal

And please don't be giving Castle Mountain ideas like growing his hair long and getting a horse!!!!

Thats all I need!!!!  :o

It was a great weekend!  Thanks to a group of very attentive and hardworking students who made our work easier!  Thanks to the Illinois State Rifle Association for allowing us to have an Appleseed at this range.  ISRA President Richard Pearson visited the range frequently as his son-in-law Collin was shooting with us. 

Mr. Pearson even took time to listen to the Third Strike of the Match presented by Castle Mountain and then shot a Red Coat target at the end of the shoot on Sunday.  I know, if there's no pics it didn't happen.  I took two pictures as my cell phone was running out of battery life so they are no where to be found.  Ok, next time!!!  :D

Thanks to all the students and instructors led by Wurstmacher who made this a great Appleseed weekend!!

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

Ewald

Well I lucked out by only being able to make it on Sunday. The weather was beautiful. It was a great crew with Wurstmacher, PG, and CM, Stonn and Big Mike.

It is always a pleasure to work with young people, and we had three on the line. We also had an Air Force recruit, and a couple members of law enforcement. Add in to that mix a few fathers and overall shooters it was a great group to work with.

Finn

What an exciting weekend, history, storms and shooting... OH MY. This was my first Appleseed and I learned a lot about shooting, my equipment and my responsibility to pass the knowledge to others. Wife is on board for Waterman, ordered parts to get equipment running, practiced seated positions, having fun.

Wurstmacher, Castle Maine, Patriot Girl, Stonn, Big Mike and Ewald Thank you for donating your positive attitudes and time.

FINN

Patriot Gal

It was great to have you and all the shooters there this past weekend.  You are the reason we show up!!

Glad to hear you'll be at Waterman and I'm very excited you're bringing your wife!!!  O0

See you then!  :cool2:
Patriot Gal

~Thomas Jefferson

~President Ronald Reagan

Castle Mountain

It was truly a wonderful weekend for Liberty. Congratulations to Luke on achieving your rifleman's patch and qualifying as expert.
You truly are a rifleman, known for persistence and dogged determination. You LEO's were excellent students.  I know your partner
was right on your heels were it not for animal ammunition. He as many others are right on the cusp of scoring expert. I truly hope you all
bring your whole department, and families to another Appleseed event. And yes leave behind ammunition that has animal names.
Enjoyed the kids and everyone that attended.  A special thanks goes out to ISRA who so graciously received us and spent time to
enjoy what we do. I have no doubt we have a very special relationship with that great organization of fine people and a marvelous range.
The picture of the rain tells the story of an extreme storm that visited us, but Captain Parker's image weathering that storm is a portend of America's resolve
to weather all storms that come her way as her people have a history of endurance. Well done everyone. It was a pleasure to meet Big Mike,
Stone and to see Ewald again. Ya all worked hard and did a super job.   Nice rifle Ewald, but you never did finish the story you were going to tell
me about your LRT.

Wurstmacher you set me up big time... with me against the world. What a challenge!!    Most amount of ammo I have ever sent down a barrel
in such a short time. The barrel was running hot......seven magazine swaps and 65 rounds deployed in 120 seconds.  I guess when you know
your opposition , a mixed team of LEOS and folks who had larger calibers and numerical advantage over me.  I was indeed determined.
What fun. I was most impressed by Wurstmachers teaching lessons during the aftermath of the star target event as it brought home the sobering reality
of  the effect of what solid marksmanship meant on the bridge at Concord and all along Battle Road that infamous day of April 19th, 1775 when marksmanship
met history. I personally am very appreciative  and forever grateful for the marksmanship skill set and history that has been passed on to me by Appleseed.
There is no better dance than the Rifleman's dance. 

As I sat on our sofa at home Sunday night after getting home from Bonfield, I  stared across the room at the picture over our fireplace mantel.
Several emotions surged within me as I pondered the days experience while looking at the picture in front of me depicting  the events of Concord.
What it means to be a rifleman is something I covet for  every man woman and child in America. And so as volunteers
for this reason we persevere, onward to the next Appleseed event, mindful that we have fraternity as instructors, with each other, only 'because' we
are fulfilling our mission, not the other way around.

Thanks to everyone for being there, especially Patriot Gal who was there in my corner when shooting, just knowing you were beside me helped my focus.

Cheers,

Castle Mountain

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

BigMike

Tossing in a few new images here...  We have CM's target from CM vs The World, the shooter's enjoying some fine watermelon brought by Stonn for eating (not shooting....), our young shooters and their patches with Ewald, the obligatory artsy shot of a pile of empty brass (later reclaimed for loading) and one of our new Rifleman Luke with his kids. 

M1D

That sounds like fun.  I would have paid to watch CM.  Since I was working http://appleseedinfo.org/smf/Smileys/newsmileys/sad.gif I didn't have to choose between Bonfield and Maclean.  I'll be glad when this run is over.
"....with a firm reliance on the protection of Divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."
Our first Congressmen

"It is for us the living, rather, to be dedicated to the great task remaining before us....that we here highly resolve that these dead shall not have died in vain-that this nation, under God, shall have a new birth of freedom-and that government of the people, by the people, for the people, shall not perish from the earth."
A. Lincoln

"That's what we do.  We're Americans"
USN Corpsman