News:

We need volunteers in sales, marketing, PR, IT, and general "running of an organization." 
Maximize your Appleseed energy to make this program grow, and help fill the empty spots
on the firing line!  An hour of time spent at this level can have the impact of ten or a
hundred hours on the firing line.  Want to help? Send a PM to Monkey!

Main Menu

Coeur d' Alene ID 8/20-21 AAR

Started by Roland, August 21, 2011, 08:13:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roland

Hello all,

Figured since I couldn't come on Sunday I'd go ahead and get this started.

I saw great improvement even from Saturday AM-PM. The redcoats show this I believe. I'll hold off on kudos and advice until I see how Sunday went. Our shooters persevered, though yellow jackets and hornets abounded.

I know there will be plenty of pictures...

I hope to see how Sunday went soon.

Roland
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Western Rose

And no, that wasn't just to get your attention...  **) But I will make you wait for the story.

Thank you to the FRGC for hosting another Appleseed!

Thank you to the participants who came to this event! We could not have had it without you.

Thank you to the instructors for being a great crew to work with.

Jen, it was wonderful to meet you and your family. You did well and I'm looking forward to hearing about a presentation of a patch down south soon. ;)

Andrew, I didn't get to work with you much, but remember to pull that knee up and the elbow under the rifle.

Angelica, it was fantastic to be able to work with you on the line. Watching how you ceased firing on the first cease fire even when you were sooo close to taking that last round was great and then how anytime you had a serious issue, you did the right thing and called over an instructor to take care of it. Very well done. O0 I look forward to being on the line again with you. Remember to get the buttstock up in your shoulder.

Reina, your form is REALLY good. Remember to focus on the front sight and find your Natural Point Of Aim. I know I'll be seeing you again soon.  ^:)^

Brad, it was great to have you on the line. Remember to take the shot at the bottom of your breath, don't drag wood and no 'happy finger'. See you again soon.

Now, for the Moose Invasion Report:

As we were walking down to the target line with our 3rd AQT, suddenly someone said "Hey, there's a moose!" One of the attendees said something along the lines of "you just called me a moose?", before everyone looked up and at the 400 yard line, sure enough, one large, bull moose was beginning to come at a rather quickly toward the firing line. First thoughts and words were, get a picture!!! Well, about the time he came to the 200 yard line, we were beginning to think it might be a good idea to go ahead and go back to the equipment line. When he began to cross the creek between the 25 yard targets and the 100 yard targets, we decided that maybe putting the barrier between us and what appeared to be an agitated bull moose with leaves stuck in his rack might not be too bad of an idea. He seemed to want to continue down the emergency exit along the left side of our line and by the club house, but no, at the last moment he made a 90* turn and came between the firing line and the target line, shaking his head all the way. At first it appeared that he might even come through the firing line and under the cover and then into the parking lot, but he decided he didn't like all of the people standing there watching him, so over the berm and down the other side and then over the pistol bay berm he went. And thus ended the invasion of a bull moose at a CdA Appleseed.

Yes, in case you ever doubted, there are pictures, though they haven't been gone through yet.

Oh, I do believe that this is the first all Tech Sight, 10/22 Appleseed we have ever had (at least on Saturday). Not to mention everyone had a sling from the get-go!!!
Where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is liberty. - 2 Cor. 3:17

A stranger is just a friend you haven't met yet.

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

Northwest Region Project Appleseed on Facebook

50th Appleseed
Appleseed: From Coast to Coast

Castle Mountain

Ye got Mooose like that ye say???  Holy smokes I hate to see the size of yer cats laddy. ;D ;D
Aut viam inveniam aut faciam- will find a way or I will make one".
"The rifle itself has no moral stature, since it has no will of its own. Naturally, it may be used by evil men for evil purposes, but there are more good men than evil, and while the latter cannot be persuaded to the path of righteousness by propaganda, they can certainly be corrected by good men with rifles."  one who has not qualified himself with the M-16 may not be considered to be a responsible citizen."

—Jeff Cooper, The Art of the Rifle

"Terrorism is the best political weapon, for nothing drives people harder than a fear of sudden death."
-- Adolf Hitler (1889-1945) German Nazi Dictator

"Once a government is committed to the principle of silencing the voice of opposition, it has only one way to go, and that is down the path of increasingly repressive measures, until it becomes a source of terror to all its citizens and creates a country where everyone lives in

OnlyHitsCount

Hey Western Rose... I'd be cliking my 'LIKE' button if I had one!    ;D   **)
That I may proclaim with the voice of thanksgiving, and tell of all Your wondrous works.  Psalm 26:7

The Smallest Minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities. - Ayn Rand

Behold the Lamb of God, which taketh away the sin of the world.  - John the Baptist

God doesn't believe in atheists.  (Romans 1:20)

Roland

Sorry I missed the moose, that sounded interesting! To say the least.
The doorway to freedom is framed by the muskets that stood between a vision of of liberty and absolute anarchy at a place called Concord Bridge--Charlton Heston, 1997

"Be a man of principle. Fight for what you believe in. Keep your word. Live with integrity. Be brave. Believe in something bigger than yourself. Serve your country. Teach. Mentor. Give something back to society. Lead from the front. Conquer your fears. Be a good friend. Be humble and be self-confident. Appreciate your friends and family. Be a leader and not a follower. Be valorous on the field of battle. And take responsibility for your actions. Never forget those that were killed. And never let rest those that killed them." -- Major Douglas Zembiec

Betsy

"Shooters, you may proceed downrange and post your next AQT"  Um, wait a minute, is that a moose?
We watched him trot down the canyon toward us, then in front of our targets, and quickly over the berm.  He was obviously determined to cool off in Fernan Lake, as we saw him among the lily pads as we drove home a few hours later.
We welcome visitors at Appleseed (well, except for the hornets!), but this guy had an "attitude".
Betsy

Reformed Redneck

Well, I'm not sure whether to call this one the "Attack of the Moose" or the "Attack of the Hornets'. Maybe both.

I can't remember being at an Appleseed event where the potential for hostile distractions were this great. The hornets were a serious and ongoing possibility for getting stung. Fortunately, they seemed to prefer instructors over the shooters, but even then the shooters did well with controlling their rifles even when the swarms seemed quite threatening. For my part, I hope all of the hornets die by next month's shoot. If not, we'll just have to sick Deu1118 on them. He eliminated quite a few of them.

This range, as anyone knows who has been there, is located on US Forrest Service land, and abuts miles and miles of woods. We have had to stop shooting a number of times because of wildlife over the years. This, however, was the first time any of the animals seemed to project an attitude of wanting to settle the score a bit. No real trouble in the end, but it is truly invigorating to be 10 - 15 yards away from a bull moose with an attitude.

While we had no new Riflemen this time around there are a few of the shooters who truly are knocking on the door. Mostly, the shorter timed stages of the AQT were getting the better of them. Remember what we taught you, dry fire and practice the positions, and you should be pleasantly surprised at the next Appleseed you go to.

Come on back. We'll be happy to see you again. Don't forget that 7th stepping in the mean time.

Best regards,
Reformed Redneck.
I'll keep my faith, my family, my church, my liberty, my property, my money...oh, and my guns. You can keep the chains.

"...Of Zebulon, such as went forth to battle, expert in war, with all instruments of war...which could keep rank: they were not of double heart..."

SavageShootr

That moose was acting like he owned the place.

Thanks for the laugh.

Great Job WR!!! I do not recall ever seeing an all tech-sighted 10-22 event before either.

"Listen to everyone, read everything, and don't believe anything unless you can prove it."' B.C.
"It isn't like it is life or death...it is more important than that." MrPete

loves2hunt59

Jeez,
all we got in Winterset was a gallery of bovines. how utterly domestic.  :'(

Western Rose

Annnnnnd now for some pictures. :)

Set up on Friday went quickly, quickly

Instruction starting on Saturday

Homework was finished as quickly as possible

Listening to Dirk teach IMC

Pat's First Strike

Ron and Dirk going over the sitting position

Jen does well.

Angelica listened closely to everything we said and was a VERY safe shooter.

Reina has everything memorized and is now working on implementing it all.

Sunday's group

The problem is, the camera never can capture the size of these things...

Andrew learns

And just for fun:

Other pictures can be found here: https://picasaweb.google.com/116159849346002620591/CoeurDAleneIDAugust20212011?authuser=0&feat=directlink

"When an honest man who is mistaken, is confronted with the truth, he will either cease to be mistaken, or he will cease to be honest." - PHenry

"The teenage years are not a vacation from responsibility... They are the training ground of future leaders who dare to be responsible now."

50th Appleseed

Sir Not Appearing In This Film

Quote from: Western Rose on August 23, 2011, 02:25:02 PM
The problem is, the camera never can capture the size of these things...

"A moose once bit my sister..." ;)

Man. I get excited when we have a cat or a rabbit on the target line. I can't say I've had a moose at an Appleseed.

Looks like a great shoot with a great bunch of shooters.

I love the scenery there as well. I visited Post Falls a while back and was impressed with the beauty of Northern Idaho. You guys have it good.
Ladyseed Man Slave

"In any moment of decision, the best thing you can do is the right thing, the next best thing is the wrong thing, and the worst thing you can do is nothing." - Theodore Roosevelt

Attitudes are contagious. I hope mine is worth catching.

Roland

Quote from: SavageShootr on August 23, 2011, 01:26:39 AM
That moose was acting like he owned the place.

Seems to me that moose owned the place simply because he was bigger then everyone there...

Western Rose

50th Appleseed